Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Sledge owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 10:56 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sledge owners

I told Brian that if he snaps a wing I will buy him a new kit.
Old 03-31-2003, 11:18 PM
JWilliams
My Feedback: (6)

Default Sledge owners

Brian, hundreds and hundreds of wings in the RC airplane world are built in halves then joined in the center with ca tape or cloth and resin. It is a common practice, it is stronger than balsa wood. Quickee 500's are built in two halves then joined in the middle with the same method. You and I both know we could not possibly induce the same G force. Follow the manual it will be fine. Jeff W.
Old 03-31-2003, 11:25 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Default Sledge owners

And,
As I told Brian...... I dont even glass the center section on mine.
Old 04-01-2003, 12:36 AM
BotleRocketWar

Default Sledge owners

I am trusting you guys on this one...

If Morris got the pull pull cables out to me tonight, then I will be able to finish the fuselage and sand everything down for covering tonight... Might even start covering!
Old 04-01-2003, 01:01 AM
3Dreaming
My Feedback: (1)

Default Sledge

Wayne, Jeff and I don't fly ours harder it's just the 2-stroke making that screaming sound. On my light weight there is no glass cloth on the center section. Just the two halves glued together, and the center sheeting. I did add a 1/2" wide by 3" long CF strip over the spars at the center section.
Old 04-01-2003, 07:54 AM
lomcevek1

Default Sledge owners

Here is what I did for the center section.

Before I put on the sheeting I laid a piece of carbon tow fibers along the length of the spar then added the sheeting as usual. If I fail this wing I will buy myself two new ones !!! Just as soon as I can afford them.
Old 04-01-2003, 03:12 PM
JWilliams

Default Sledge owners

You guys are borrowing trouble. There has never been a wing failure that I a aware of. I too, must admit I have two of them right now that I did not even put the ca tape on them and they are rock solid. Adding the tape is just more insurance, the strength comes from that center sheeting that goes from R2 to R2. I advise to not remove that 2.5" wide sheeting on the bottom that goes from tip to tip because if the wing gets a twist, the plane will have decreased performance. That center strip helps decrease the chance of any twists during construction and covering. Jeff W.
Old 04-01-2003, 06:05 PM
lomcevek1

Default Sledge owners

OK OK I will say that the sledge is a little different than most of us are used to so we/I approach it with a little caution. Plus I HATE the fiberglass tape I just hate it. In my flying carreer I have never failed a wing joint (gliders excepted) I have failed hold down blocks, and not enough rubber bands.

I really plan to wring this one out so I am being cautious in the making. Can't wait to get it going.
Old 04-01-2003, 06:53 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Default Sledge owners

I've never had one of my own wings fail (I lost hold down blocks too), but I've seen it happen lots of times to other people. Quite a good show, especially when I saw it happen to the float plane.
Old 04-01-2003, 07:12 PM
BotleRocketWar

Default Sledge owners

"OK OK I will say that the sledge is a little different than most of us are used to so we/I approach it with a little caution."

That's true!
Old 04-01-2003, 07:38 PM
Cabane
My Feedback: (2)

Default Sledge owners

I just ordered a Sledge cause I dumped Topcap #2. <sniff> Anyway, I have a MVVS49 the was on the TC that I want to use on the Sledge. I had to have an exhaust extention for the muffler to clear the wing. My question is will the muffler clear the wing on the Sledge? If not, what if I offset the the motor mounts enough for clearance. Any ill effects with a lower thrust line? I don't think it'll be that much.... dunno
Old 04-01-2003, 07:44 PM
Kevins_RC
My Feedback: (1)

Default Sledge owners

Jeff Williams, designer of the Sledge 540 for Morris, is running the MVVS 49. When I visited him last in IN, he had the mini tuned pipe and muffler on his that Morris sells for that engine. I also know that he has run a MCM on other ones of his. You might want to drop him a line directly. Just look at one of the other Sledge threads and he normally posts his email address so that you can contact him directly.
Good Luck
Kevin
Old 04-01-2003, 08:16 PM
JWilliams

Default Sledge owners

Cabane, I run the MVVS 49 with the standard mini tuned pipe and header that Morris sells, no problems with fit. Not sure on any others because I have not tried the fit, but there are plenty of them out there and many of those fliers are here on RC Universe. The wing is in line with the engine thrust line so it would seem likely that most any setup would clear. Jeff W.
[email protected]