Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Sledge owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 12:01 AM
BotleRocketWar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sledge owners

I did it, I finally did it! I ordered a Sledge yesterday. I can't wait!

I was wondering if there is ANYTHING you guys would consider changing? Anything that should be reinforced? Any weak spots? Anything that could handle a little weight loss? I really want to keep this thing light. I am aiming for just over 4 lbs if it's possible.

My current profile is 4 lbs 2 ounces and is just PERFECT when it comes to vertical performance, I want the same thing with the Sledge. Are these things coming out light? How much does yours weigh?

I will be using standard Airtronics servos and a TT Pro .46 with a Tower muffler. I have been using the 11.5x4 prop and really like the combo. There might be a Saito .72 in my future, but I don't need any convincing. If I can, I will!

If you have pictures of your finished Sledge, I would love to see it. I am trying to choose a color scheme and would love to steal one from you guys, if you don't mind.

If nothing else, help me justify spending $110 on $20 worth of wood!

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2003, 12:33 AM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Default Sledge

Man I built mine pretty much stock. I was trying to think what I changed..

I replaced the hatches with balsa and some sticks instead of ply.

I left out 1 of the center ribs..by accident, not to save weight.

Put a 1/16" AC ply "dihedral" brace on the LE instead of FG cloth.

Standard sized flying servos, HS-81 for throttle.

No cap strips on the bottom..and I made some holes in the last 3 rib bays in the bottom sheeting..didn't save much weight, but looked cool. No lightening holes in the ribs...and I almost always do that..just was lazy.

I got the CF landing gear from Jeff to offset some of the weight of the YS 63.

I used some edge-glued 1/16" balsa wing skins for the vertical grained I-Beam shear webs...just because I had it and that's the way I like to do it.

Made a super light weight steerable tail skid from a Goldberg tailwheel bracket (I think??) and some 1/16" music wire...no tail wheel.

When I first weighed it I got 4lbs 4oz with a 720 Mah NiMh..but I got skeered cause I'm running digital servos and ended up at 4lbs 6oz with a 1000Mah NiCd...this was with a Dubro spinner nut and APC 13X6. Oh yeah..and I have ball links on all the servo wheels. Ended up with a Zinger 13X5 wood, and with a 1000Mah NiMh I can get back close to 4lbs 4oz.

It flys pretty sweet at 4-6, so no biggie. If I went to the trouble of lightening holes, no spinner nut, smaller battery, simpler covering scheme,etc I bet 4-2 would be no sweat.

All in all I didn't bash it hardly any....and that ought to tell you something (I am a notorious kit basher!)

pics are here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/attachment...&postid=789616
Old 03-19-2003, 01:17 AM
3Dreaming
My Feedback: (1)

Default Sledge

I have 2 the first was a pre-production kit from Jeff. It was built to plans, and the wood was heavy. With a Saito.72 in the nose, and Hitec digital mini's it came out to 4.66 lbs. Jeff has flown my plane, and says it is one of the best flying examples he has flown. My second is scratch built, and lightened to the extreme. It now has a Webra.32 in the nose HS 225's all around except throttle is a HS81 720nimh battery. It is flying at less than an ounce over 3 pounds. The wood was all hand selected, and I left out what I thought I could. The airplane is very fragile like this, but it does fly nice. I think the one change has been addressed, but make sure you have at least 1/2" gap between the ailerons and the fuse. The other change I think is coming as an option, but I'm not sure when. That is counter balances on the elevator. It flies great with out them, but I think it is better with them, at least in my opinion. Tom
Old 03-19-2003, 01:18 AM
ryansdad40

Default sledge,, AAAA+++++

I flew mine for the first time sunday,, WOW its great!! trim did not even require a click! i balanced a half inch in back of spar,, it has a os 46 fx. and is a rocket with that,, hovers great!
built stock,, all i can say is this plane is fantastic!!!
now the downside,, the gear bends back and splays easy,, so i ordered a carbon fiber gear for it today. im gonna build another!!!
Old 03-19-2003, 01:28 AM
BotleRocketWar

Default Sledge owners

Well Chuck, it's nice hearing from you (as always). Even though you did not change that much, I think I'll have to do most of the things you mentioned. Sounds good to me!

I think I will also get rid of some of the webs in the last 2 bays on each wing half. I might cut out some holes in the ribs too, just don't want to damage them. If I get the exact same wood as you, I should be a couple ounces lighter just because of the engine. Wouldn't that be great?

I have been waiting to see a picture of yours (and one of your covering jobs). Looks great! Was that picture taken with YOU at the sticks?

Now if I remember right, you're supposed to be building some Seductions right now? No excuses!

Tom,

Your Sledge with the Webra .32 sounds awesome! What did you do, leave a wing half out? That's LIGHT!

I had a Webra .32 for a couple months, it was a great engine. Took my little scratch built Ultrastick way past 100 MPH!

Why do you recommend the counter-balance on the elevator? I added them to my Extra profile in hopes of giving it that little extra it needed for a climbing flat spin, but it didn't make any difference. Even at slow speeds, harriers, high speed, or anything else, it did not seem to make any difference at all...

Thanks guys!
Old 03-19-2003, 01:30 AM
BotleRocketWar

Default Sledge owners

ryansdad40,

Sounds great! Any chance you've had a chance to weigh it? Sounds like a .46 IS good enough. I sure hope so!

As far as the landing gear goes, I have some Dubro profile landing gear I'll use. I'll start saving pennies for the gear from Jeff Williams...
Old 03-19-2003, 01:56 AM
ChuckAuger

Default Sledge owners

Originally posted by BotleRocketWar
Was that picture taken with YOU at the sticks?

Uhh..no.

And I don't have any shear webs in the last bay...

The Sledge ARF that Jeff had at Houston had counter balances on the elevators...go read the Houston threads..they got down with the ARF Sledge Monday.
Old 03-19-2003, 02:58 AM
m.gramling
My Feedback: (8)

Default Sledge owners

chuck, I bet your 4lb 4oz sledge pulls out of a hover like a rocket. I have my YS63 on a 5lb 5oz knife ARf, and it pulls out great. I can only imagine what it would at 13oz lighter.

I had a knife kit that had TT46 and moosecan on it that weight 4lb 6oz. and it was balistic. got another knife kit ready to fly as soon as the weather gets better.
Old 03-19-2003, 03:15 AM
ChuckAuger

Default Well...

I can't honestly say it's flown at 4-4..it weighed 4-6 until I changed props..that was the only thing I did different, so the difference in weight between an APC 13X6 and a Zinger 13X5 is all the reduction from 4-6 it had. The 4-4 was just when I was setting it up...but I never flew with the 720 NiMh.

Ask them Memphis dudes about the vertical!
Old 03-19-2003, 03:24 AM
m.gramling
My Feedback: (8)

Default Sledge owners

I might end up getting rid of my knife ARf, and putting my YS63 on my kit Knife

As for these memphis guys about vertical. I am one of them. You can't have too much vertical.
Old 03-19-2003, 03:24 AM
3Dreaming

Default Sledge

Most of my weight savings came in the form of wood selection. I weighed every piece, and cut all my own sticks. I cut out some of the light ply doublers up front. I left out fuse sheeting on top and bottom where I could. I did some different bracing in the wings instead of shear webbing. I know that when I fly I have to control my speed or I will blow it apart. As for the counter balances the extra elevator gives tighter waterfalls, and it will spin tighter. Now if the improvement is from the counter balances or the weight I don't know. Jeff decided to try them on the new Sledge ARF that they test flew this weekend. He said he thought it worked better for it also, and would have to come up with instructions for the change. If you build it stock it will still fly extremely well with out the changes. Tom
Old 03-19-2003, 03:28 AM
TERMAGATOR
My Feedback: (2)

Default Re: Well...

Originally posted by ChuckAuger

Ask them Memphis dudes about the vertical!
yep.....I flew Chucks plane Friday and was very impressed .....It was a ROCKET with that YS....flew like it was on rails.......G
Old 03-19-2003, 03:35 AM
Constrictor
My Feedback: (46)

Default Sledge owners

I bought the sledge this past weekend while in Houston. I saw several fly and they looked great. cant wait to get started on it!
Old 03-19-2003, 04:06 AM
ChuckAuger

Default Sledge owners

Originally posted by m.gramling

As for these memphis guys about vertical. I am one of them. You can't have too much vertical.
No, I meant ask them Memphis dudes what was at Houston about the vertical on this plane..It has a right fair amount IMHO.
Old 03-19-2003, 03:47 PM
JWilliams
My Feedback: (6)

Default Sledge owners

Bottlerocket war, I am going to come up with a counterbalanced elevator as an option. It flies great either way but the counter balance gives better walls and parachutes, otherwise not alot of difference. Jeff W.
Old 03-19-2003, 05:40 PM
TailTwister

Default Sledge owners

Man oh man. You guys are going to get me to order one of these things, aren't you?

I just happen to have a flight pack and Saito 72 without a home...
Old 03-19-2003, 05:50 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Default Sledge owners

Great thread! I have been wondering about tips to lighten fun flys. Looks like my Sudokhoi with 46FX is a tank at 4lbs 9oz. I still have great vertical though......
Old 03-19-2003, 05:55 PM
Mike Bogh
My Feedback: (14)

Default Sledge owners

Here's jeff and his Sledge

Old 03-19-2003, 06:39 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Default Sledge owners

WOW!!! That's SWEET!!!

Hey Mike, I see you changed you avitar.

You guys are gonna make me get one too. How's the Sledge compare with the Sudokhoi?
Old 03-19-2003, 07:11 PM
JWilliams

Default Two Jeff Williams

OK, I think there are some that are confused to who Jeff Williams is/are. So here is a picture with Jeff Williams, aka jwilliams on rcu and sledge designer behind the yellow sledge. On the right behind the multi colored sledge is Jeff Williams also, aka the real Chuck Auger. BTW, at Houston this past weekend Chuck Auger let just about everyone fly that beautiful sledge which was brand new, that is generosity. Jeff Williams aka jwilliams
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	64162_801.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	39258  
Old 03-20-2003, 01:06 AM
jmulder

Default Sledge owners

I ordered one too. I just hope it is as good as my Knife. How did ya'lls balance with a 72? I dont think Im gonna make the counterbalance mod on mine I think Im just gonna make the ele. bigger like I did on my Knife...........John
Old 03-20-2003, 02:37 AM
JWilliams

Default Sledge owners

Jmulder, best of luck on that tail mod but I think if you fish the forum here the current size is great. I do advise the counterbalance on the elevators at this point. I have found no ill effects, too big an elevator can be detimental but I do not know at what point that will be on the sledge. Let us know what you come up with, and I am confident you will find yourself loving both airplanes. As you know I got you on the knife and I still love mine but it is not as capable as the sledge. Jeff W.
Old 03-20-2003, 02:41 AM
DonH21
My Feedback: (3)

Default Sledge owners

Chuck Auger,
That is simply gorgeous!!!

jmulder,
I guess the Saito is a keeper.

Don
Old 03-20-2003, 03:24 AM
BotleRocketWar

Default Sledge owners

Since I will start building my Sledge in the next couple days, will that be too soon to find out about these elevator mods? I want this thing to be the best it can be!

Was there any increase in size? Did you just take the outer inch or so of the each horizontal stab half and stick it to each elevator half?

Both of those Sledge's look great!

I can't wait to fly mine!!
Old 03-20-2003, 03:42 AM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Default Sledge owners

Good job Brian. Will it fit in the car?

Mine is pretty much stock.

I didnt "I" beam the shear webs and I ran the grain vertical.
I just glued them to the front of the spars and they didnt run the lenght of each bay. Why? because I am lazy. I just used the 3" wide sheet and glued it to the inboard rib and the front of the spars in each bay.

I dont remember any other changes I did.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	64278_60.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	39259  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.