Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Sledge landing gear tips for Williams CF and Krazy legs and Dubro's gear?

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Sledge landing gear tips for Williams CF and Krazy legs and Dubro's gear?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 11:02 PM
Dennis Tampa FL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sledge landing gear tips for Williams CF and Krazy legs and Dubro's gear?

Just ordered (mailed today) the Carbon Fiber from [email protected] and the Plastic gear from Tetherite [email protected] , If you email them both they email ya an info page with prices.

Wanted to order Dubro's profile gear also but cannot find it on there website nor towers site. Any one know part # for dubro 's ?

Anyone have tips on installation of these different gear.

Tetherite seems to be predrilled with an axel kit.

Jcwilliams pic of gear looks like it needs to be drilled, no mention of axel kit, they do seem very cool looking .

Any tips on drilling these carbon fiber gear?

Tips on axel setup? Just bolt and 2 nyloc nuts?

If these seem dumb ?'s I am new to hobby and sledge is my second plane.

Self taught with fms and TT lazy tiger p51 18 flights awaiting new stronger rods to prevent flutter on elevator ( chinese rods too weak even with slow flight) .

4 flights on bought used sledge and the gear bends everyother flight. Dead stick landings with a newbie dont help im sure :-) awaiting YS 63 from greatplains/LHS current ST 51 needs work quitting mid flight and on pull up to do loops. No need to help me here with engine when I give up I'll post in engine forum.

Any one with Sledges for sale let me know, I'm sure a back up will be needed :-) and can't wait a year for the arf nor have time now to try to build. If I get desperate I'll put together a Carl Goldburg 330 arf.

Thanks very much, Dennis Spyridakos
Old 03-21-2003, 11:32 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Default Gear..

If you have Tetherites and CF gear coming, I would just skip looking for the DuBro. I've not used them, mainly from comments seen here.

I looked at the Tetherites in Houston, very nice!! And from what I understand very tough.

I have the CF gear..you do have to drill all the holes. For axels I just stuck a 6-32 screw thru the gear, put a regular 6-32 nut for a lock nut on the inside, then a washer, wheel, nyloc nut. I'm sure there are other ways, but I don't spend a lot of time rolling on the ground LOL
Old 03-21-2003, 11:47 PM
Kevins_RC
My Feedback: (1)

Default Sledge landing gear tips for Williams CF and Krazy legs and Dubro's gear?

I've used the DuBro LG for a long time, and still have a few aircraft with them. I strongly recommend if you go with the Dubro, stay away from the black pair. The black pigment in these make them brittle. The off white are fine provided that you mount them according to their instructions (drill thru the thickest portion for mounting). I have checked out the Krazy legs in Mooresville, NC last weekend and they seem pretty good. Pinhead had the heavy duty pair on his Aeron. The CF are still the lightest. I suggest that you apply masking tape to both sides of the CF where you are going to drill. This helps prevent excessive damage to the CF weave. Axles - I love the Kelts, though since these are Goldberg, and Goldberg being sold out, I don't think that they are available anymore. The Kelts were much lighter than the Dubro versions.
Hope that this helps!
Kevin
Old 03-22-2003, 12:12 AM
Dennis Tampa FL

Default Lightest Wheels

Forgot to add I have 3 inch Dubro super lite wheels on the lazy tiger and I'm going to get a set for the sledge.

They are verrry lite. They are kind of new and are lite'er than the regular lite wheels. You can feel the difference between stock wheels. You can even feel the difference by hand compared to other brand lite wheels. So if cg permits a great way to get lite'er.

There on page 27 of online Catalog dubro.com Spec's size and weights ect.

Dennis
Old 03-22-2003, 12:44 AM
JWilliams
My Feedback: (6)

Drill the cf gear with a good sharp bit then trim it with an xacto. Do not go closer than about 1/2" from the end of the gear in either direction. Also, drill in the center on the side to side measurement. Do not breathe the fiber dust it is bad for ya.
Jeff
Old 03-22-2003, 12:52 AM
Hacker

Dennis,
follow Kevins advise for drilling...carbon fiber is the only way to go.the alum gear on my knife didnt hold up very well either (rebend after not so good landings)
Dont know if its the gear but i havent had any thing but SUPER soft tail skid 1st landings since i installed the c.f.gear....go figure
Old 03-22-2003, 01:24 AM
Maj. Crash

Default DU-BRO Gear

The DU-BRO cat. # is792 , the Tower # is DUBQ 1245 . The crappy black one's aren't available anymore , so don't worry aboutgetting them . I'm pretty happy with them , even at 3.345 oz.
Maj. Crash
Old 03-22-2003, 04:20 AM
Dennis Tampa FL

Thanks to all who helped.

Dennis Spyridakos
Old 03-22-2003, 03:11 PM
Vref
My Feedback: (2)

Default pen knife gear

What about gear for a Pen Knife is there cf or crazy legs for .25 profiles??
CM
Old 03-22-2003, 04:02 PM
John Wells
My Feedback: (10)

kevin4hsrcm, I have come to believe that black Dubro nylon wing bolts are more brittle than the lighter color sig brand and other similar brands. A while back, I asked the LHS owner to order me some of the light colored ones. He asked why, and I told him that the black ones seemed to break more easily (I'm using them for landing gear bolts on some profiles). He laughed hard and told me that was ridiculous. He ordered the white ones anyway, and all is well. Is there any documentation out there that would verify the thing about black pigment causing less strength?

Thanks,

John Wells
Old 03-22-2003, 07:14 PM
jldecarlo

I have been happy with my (black) Dubro gear on my OMP Edge. 40+ landings and no problems. Few of the landings have been hard, which is typical of a profile.

However, check out the CF gear at http://home.mindspring.com/~mikeypratt/cfgear.html

It looks better than the other pics I have seen for profile gear. Has anybody used this?

Leonard