Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Should have kept my mouth shut

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Should have kept my mouth shut

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2003, 06:54 PM
fla_g8tor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should have kept my mouth shut

When I decided to make my own decals for my sig ultimate ff, I created the graphics on my computer and then went to my local printer, (printer A), to get them made up. After a few botched attempts, printer A said that they couldn't run sticky back through their laser printer, it would void the warranty. I then went to printer B, where I was able to print up the 22 8.5 x 11 sheets that had my decals on them, and everything went fine. I went back a couple of days later and made some additional decalcs.... still fine.
Today I had two more decals that I needed to make. Someone told me that Kinkos had opened a new shop across the street, so I decided to try them. They were up front about it..can't print sticky back in our laser printers, "fine, I'll go to printer B".

As I was waiting for my printouts at printer B i innocently asked if this was a chain or locally owned. "locally owned", was the reply.

"Interesting", i said, "that you are the only printer that will print sticky-back for me. Printer A says that it voids their warranty."

"WHAT!!!", was my clerks response,"Printer A OWNS us, I need to give them a call."

Now nobody will print my sticky back in color for me. I'm going to have to go back there on the night shift and hope that the guys who took care of me before haven't heard the news yet.

Here's what the decals I did get made look like.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	67418_17935.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	40968  
Old 04-01-2003, 07:01 PM
4 point roll
Banned
My Feedback: (-1)

Default For what its worth

My wife works at a place called Fast Signs. Although i get all my decals for free (ooops, hope her boss isn't on RCU) They can make any graphic you can put on a disk.

They work awesome. Worth looking into. You might have one in your town.
Old 04-01-2003, 07:20 PM
BotleRocketWar

There is a sign shop around here that will do graphcics, but it is REALLY expensive! I think they want about $20 for a short little word...Might be more!
Old 04-01-2003, 07:31 PM
Kevins_RC
My Feedback: (1)

Sign shops typically want their graphics in a special format (file extension). Some with work with you, others won't. I believe that fla_g8tor wants the multiple colors printed out on one layer of vynal. I do my own printer of stickers out of an inkjet printer. You can buy the 8-1/2 x 11 clear, or white full sheet stickers at Staples, Office Depot, any office supply house. The only problem is that ink jet inks do not have a UV inhibitor in them. I know that HP has signed a contract with Kodak, where you can buy Kodak ink for a HP Inkjet printer, which is suppose to take care of this sun fade problem. I have recently bought a new HP printer and have a special ink cartiage, though haven't had time to develop a new logo, print it out, and test it. You might want to start a seperate thread and see is someone has tried the new inks available for these printers, if your interested.
Kevin
Old 04-01-2003, 07:48 PM
fla_g8tor

Default Decals

I've tried several things so far, but the big problem is the bubble jet inks, they do fade fast in the sunlight. I've got some clear decal paper for window decals, but it will need to be coated with krylon and mounted with photo-mount, as it is the static cling type and has no adhesive. Someone suggested printing on photo paper and laminating that under clear stickyback, but that starts to get kind of thick. I've tried the water slide stuff, but the dimensional stablility is lacking, if you try to make too large a decal it wants to stretch as you work it off the paper, and if it's not completely sealed you can lose some ink.

I've been collecting broken wings from the field to have a surface to practice on, when (if) I find a good CHEAP solution I will post it.
Old 04-01-2003, 08:02 PM
4 point roll
Banned

Default yep

All the above stated is probably right on. You have to remember though my wife works at our sign shop so i have an inside deal going so to say. No pun intented LOL

Anyhow, thought i would give you another option.
Old 04-01-2003, 08:19 PM
Kevins_RC

4 Point Roll - Like you said, you have an inside track on your particular deal. I don't think your wife would want to put in the extra time (free time) to help us all out <LOL>, nor would her boss appreciate it!
I've gone the sign shop route for vynal cutting (check-out the Ecstasy lettering on altar or my website). Its great for some things, though would be expensive and heavy with all the colored layers of the design above, not to mention a pain to apply in proper alignment. I've tried to clear coat the ink jet stickers I made up, but didn't deter the fade issue. I even tried Pactra fuel proofing spray, which didn't work neither.
Like I said, need to try the new Kodak ink, Its suppose to work without fading in sun light.
Kevin
Old 04-01-2003, 08:46 PM
4 point roll
Banned

Kevin - Sure my wife would. She lives and breathes to make sure i have an airplane with her vynal on it. Now her boss is another story LOL

Good luck in getting your graphics fla_g8tor
Old 04-02-2003, 04:15 PM
TailTwister

How about trim sheets? As long as the detail isn't too small, you could piece together a logo or lettering. Otherwise, Gator and Neo do some really good stuff with good ole' Monokote. Either way is lighter than vinyl. (or vynal)
Old 04-02-2003, 08:32 PM
Billy Hell
My Feedback: (2)

I was about to switch to printing my graphics out but after reading about he dyes fading I may get back on the monokote trail.
Old 04-04-2003, 06:29 AM
PLANEBENDER
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Graphics Made Easy!

Hey People; Try dizzyblondegrapcics.com She will make you anything from wild to mild. and her husband is a funfly nut (just like us) LOL Support the people that support profiles BENDER

My-----------2-------------cents