Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Flying Pizza Box

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2002, 01:24 AM
Dazzler 2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flying Pizza Box

Well, went out tonight and back to the drawing board again !!!! Took off out of my hand and took a hard right and down to the ground and broke the motor mount, prop ( of course ), and screwed up the front.. I think I am giving up for a while... It is getting frustrating.. ( Hope everyone else has better luck than me....
Old 07-14-2002, 02:35 AM
Foamguy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flying Pizza Box

Originally posted by DonH21
Gary
I found some coro-plastic, almost $38 buck a 4x8 sheet and that isn't counting the tax.

I've heard of the coro plastic selling for around $8 bucks in Kansas. I wonder what shipping cost are?

Don
Don,

Try another local shop too. When I began getting into coro, I almost gave up at first. The first shop I went to wanted almost $50 for a 4x8 sheet. I assumed this was normal and it set me back over a year. On a whim, I tried a different shop and found I could get it for around $18 a sheet locally. I was told later, after I became a regular customer at the second place that many stores will try and overcharge you because they want to sell you a sign or 100 and not raw material. If this fails for you, yes, try harbor sales..... they are highly thought of and come well recommended from the coro plane community. (i.e. SPAD) I've looked at their prices and even with shipping was comparable to what I am paying locally as of a year anyway.

Foamguy
Old 01-27-2003, 04:27 AM
knightflyer-RCU

Default Flying Pizza Box

I am just about ready to install my radio in my PBf and after looking at the pictures here I wonder if solid balsa push rods wouldn't be a better choice than the rod in a tube set up? I have an old OS 25FSR installed as I am afraid a 40 size would get ahead of me! Also is a little right thrust needed?
Old 01-27-2003, 04:54 AM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Flying Pizza Box

IMHO solid balsa pushrods are the best choice for a PBF.

The OS 25FSR with a 9x4 prop should be a good engine for a PBF.

The PBF flys best overall with zero right thrust.
Old 01-27-2003, 05:11 AM
Graeme Marion

Default Greetings from Sunny Queensland

Knight flyer,

Most people are using solid balsa push rods without any problems. Just keep the threaded rods at each end as short as possible to reduce flexing.

No side thrust, up thrust or down thrust is needed.

Follow the set up instructions on Dave's web page at http://mypage.yhti.net/~dmcdnld/pizzabox.htm

Also set your CG. back 5/12ins. from the leading edge and use plenty of exponential to reduce control sensitivity around neutral.

Another tip. Since these models spend a lot of time prop hanging, try holding the model by the prop and it should hang down vertical, not one wing low.

Your engine should be fine. Just use a 9x4 prop. The most important thing is a reliable transition through the mid range. Spend a bit of time getting your engine set up right.

Have fun and let us know how you get on.
Old 01-27-2003, 03:49 PM
knightflyer-RCU

Default PBF

To Dave McDonald & Graeme Marion, Thanks for your quick replies. To Foamguy, I went to our local sign shop and after the owner stopped laughing about a flying pizza box, he sold me a 4'x4' sheet for $5.00 !! So I have enough mat'l for several FPB's If this winter will go away here in N.J. I will be ready !!The wind chill is going down to -10 tonight so it's building time here!
Knight flyer
Old 02-04-2003, 01:21 AM
spadlishus

Default first pbf is a MAJOR HIT!!!

I'm completely hooked! The videos on mcd's site got me rollin on my first pbf (that, and it was the only thing left to build after my last plane augered in at the hands of a good friend ).
after four hours of work which included one of those rebuilding three servos, i was in the air. What a FAST and easy plane to build and setup. Thanx to the plans, and the web site devoted to these freaks of tature, it was quick and painless!
The first flight required NO trimming at all. Let me say, i read all the reviews on this beast. It was fairely easy for me to fly. after i got used to the controlls, i had (ON MY SECOND TANK OF FUEL) done flat spins, inverted flight, several loops, barrel rolls, some hovering, and other weirdo thingies (i meant to do that). I opted to do the rudderless thing scince i only had three servos left. The royal .28 is PLENTY for this little beasty! 4 oz tank, balsa pushrods, and all the barndoor action it can handle.
what a fun plane. We took it to the feild after a couple of prop changes. Once there, my little pbf caused quite a stir! Plenty of questions, pictures, onlookers, and one dude even asked if he could shoot a video of it! thanx again Dave for such a magnificent idea!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	52479_27093.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	3563  
Old 02-09-2003, 04:07 AM
RussellE

Default Can you build too large of a Pixxa Box?

I am new to the whole pizza box idea. I have seen them fly, and they look like a lot of fun.
The only engine I have available, is a TT 61 PRO, would I be crazy to build a pizza box that large?
What size would any one recommend?
Old 02-09-2003, 04:24 AM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

Default To Don, on getting Coro

Hey Don,

skip the sign shops if they want to do you like that. if you just want 2' x 2', harbor is very good. But the shipping for big stuff gets expensive. I found several local "plastic" companies (yellowpages, under plastics) and all offered to sell to me retail even though they are wholesalers. One has a $20 minimum, but that's 3 4x8 sheets. They also have several thicknesses.

Gordon
Old 02-09-2003, 04:35 AM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

Default To RussellE

Hey Russ, Have you seen the thread on the XXXXL PBF? I made a 56" version, and word is at least one other is working on an 8' x 8', so too big is really gonna be BIG! But is you want to fly like a "real" PBF, weight of coro becomes a big deal! If you could get 6mil, a 3'x3' might be do-able, but I think it would be heavy. I have a sheet of 6 mil that weighs more than double a 4mil. And Dave told me of one that was, I think, 42" out of 10mil but it weighed 11lbs! My 56' only weighs 7 or so and it's really a glider(did I mention it's foam?)

Anyway, the beauty of a PBF is that you can't really go wrong. I'm on # 4, and I am still having a ball.

The only sin in the PBF Bible is not telling us what you find out! :bananahea

I love this stuff!

Gordon

Name:	53856_13889.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	3564  
Old 02-09-2003, 04:47 AM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Flying Pizza Box

Russ,
My nephew Bryan scaled a PBF up 150% to 36"x36". Originally it was powered by a TT Pro 61, but is now being flown with a TT 61GP. It's not near as maneuverable as the smaller and lighter PBFs, but it flys, and flys well.

For the latest info about what's happening in the PBF world, you might want to browse through the Build Your Own PBF thread.

Name:	53857_1463.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	3565  
Old 02-10-2003, 05:03 AM
Mr Smooth

Default Big PBF

gbisaph
I like the looks of the 56" PBF. Is it 56" square or 48"x 56" ??

I have flown the 24" x24" and I like it enough that I want to try a larger one.

Mr Smooth
Old 02-11-2003, 03:49 AM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

Default Flying Pizza Box

It's 56" Square. If there were PBF rules (oxymoron?) one would be "thou shalt make it square" LOL (annother would be "bring lots of props!") Just remember, every example of extreme sized PBF I know of results in less manuverability.

Try whatever you think of and let us know!
Gordon
Old 03-09-2003, 07:41 AM
Rossi-45 Lover

Default rossi 45

Im gona try this with one of my rossi 45's and fiberglass sheeting. Muwahahaha :spinnyeye
Old 05-18-2004, 09:24 PM
rcflyboy90

Default RE: Flying Pizza Box

I have a pizza box flyer i just made it has a 40LA on it and is made of coroplast. It flies good i got the plans off google i just typed pizza box flyer. This plane is a good one to make if u want to get better at flying it will realy make a pilot out of u.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:38 AM
interstateSB1
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Thanks Foamguy!

ORIGINAL: Dave McDonald

Originally posted by Foamguy

....and thought to myself, " Hey, here's a cool guy he likes the same weird stuff I do. ! "

Thanks Foamguy!

But when most people get to know me they say,
" Hey, here's a weird guy, he likes the same cool stuff I do! "

(seriously thinking about getting a large Pizza Hut pizza to go sometime this week.....saving the box......and putting an engine and radio in it. Think it will fly?) :stupid:
Old 04-08-2006, 06:19 PM
ecflyers

I bought a pizza box flyer at the perry Ga. show 2 years ago. I've just got around to getting it going. It's shaped like a diamond dust and I can't find any info on it. Anybody know what the CG is and where to measure from.
Thank for your time and help.
Bobby
Old 04-09-2006, 11:47 PM
Foamguy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[8D]

I can't believe guys are STILL flying this thing !

What's it been now ? 3 years ?

Wish I had the patent !

Foamguy
Old 05-23-2006, 01:10 PM
gasrc

I'm building a new one right now. My last one was destroy about 2 years ago when a friend tried to fly it like a Diamond Dust. This new build will be somewhat unique....at least I haven't seen one like it. I'll have a whole new thread about it when I'm done.