Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

do you guys prefer 2 or 4 strokes for your profile?

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

do you guys prefer 2 or 4 strokes for your profile?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 12:32 AM
bbike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do you guys prefer 2 or 4 strokes for your profile?

hey guys, I dont know why but during the search of a new plane I realized I will need a new engine, and for whatever reason, I am staying away from 2 strokes. But it occured to me, 2 strokes make less viabration. I don't really mind flying on a little bit of a smaller prop. Am I just crazy for not wanting a 2 stroke. I have never even owned a 4 stroke but I am impressed with all of my buddies saito 82. I am wanting to jump to 60 sized birds, so its much more cost effective to pick up a 90 size tt for 120 bucks. What are your guys oppinions on the matter? thanks.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:40 AM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: do you guys prefer 2 or 4 strokes for your profile?

4 strokes
Old 12-31-2007, 12:58 AM
bbike

thats fine man, but give some reasoning. There has to be a reason, the sound? they drink less? theres got to be somthing. I personally like 2's becuase there cheap. lol.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:05 AM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

sound
power band
bigger props
quiet
Old 12-31-2007, 01:52 AM
RC MANIAC119
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And now, I'll give you some real input...............

This debate has gone on for ages.........4 strokers/2 strokers...pro's and con's for each.........and you can debate it until your hair falls out!

It comes down to what you're familiar with. I've flown 2 strokes all my life, and when I got into profiles I decided that 4 stroke was the way to go. I started with an OS61(older version). It ran ok, but didn't have the pull I needed, so I upgraded to an OS 70. It had the pull I needed, but it was totally foreign to me. I didn't know what I was listening for......couldn't get a decent run......it vibrated my profile more than I thought it should, and the fuel consumption was way too much!! Not to mention the extra weight of the engine compared to the power I was getting just didn't seem right!!!

I sold the 4 stroker and went back to my old familiar friend....the 2 strokers!!!

I can close my eye's and listen to a 2 stroke engine warming up on the flying line, and tell you exactly what it needs to run right. I know my fuel consumption will be great.......I'm flying less weight..and my airframe will only shake when I shake it!!!

For my money.....the new OS 55's and OS 75's 2 strokers are the best engine investment a guy could make!!!

Remember.....this is MY opinion!!!!! Yours may differ............
Old 12-31-2007, 05:17 AM
150flyer

I have also flown lots of 2 and 4 stroke engines. The OS .55 AX has become my favorite in the .40 to .60 size class. I like the throttle response, power to weight and fuel efficiency. I have to admit the 4 strokes sound good.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19676.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	838309  
Old 12-31-2007, 06:33 AM
AKFireMedic
My Feedback: (2)

I have both, but I am selling off all of my 2 strokes and collecting more 4 strokes! I run Saitos and am consistantly amazed at how reliable they run. They sound awesome, run great, and have the torque to pull big props. They do use a bit more fuel but that is a small price to pay in my opinion. The vibration isn't an issue for the slabs. They can take it!
Old 12-31-2007, 11:11 AM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: AKFireMedic

I have both, but I am selling off all of my 2 strokes and collecting more 4 strokes! I run Saitos and am consistantly amazed at how reliable they run. They sound awesome, run great, and have the torque to pull big props. They do use a bit more fuel but that is a small price to pay in my opinion. The vibration isn't an issue for the slabs. They can take it!
I agree, I have a couple of several good running 2 strokes but am little by little going to all 4 strokes. I really like the way they sound. I also like the quicker throttle response as oppossed to a 2 stroke. The price is a big drawback but when you factor in the life of an engine its not all the much.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:44 AM
Walt and Sage

I have at least 40 two strokes from .049s to DA50 and DL50s
over 30 years.. at least for me they have been just fine for
my flying from 3d to pattern....

Old 12-31-2007, 12:14 PM
jvino

I love ford vs chevy questions. I started on 2 strokes and they are good engines. I like the torque of the 4 strokes better. I don't have to fight the throttle as much. That said I put an OS 55ax on my new mojo and love it. I have an 82 for either a Chinn Yak or a Boxxer on the shelf. Both are good. Fly what you like.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:19 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Forget the sound, the fuel consumption, the cost, the weight, all that stuff. When the rudder of your bird is 2" off the deck and you hit the throttle. The Saito 72/82 will move before the OS50/55. I think this will hold true until you get up into the DA-50 size planes.

David
Old 12-31-2007, 06:44 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: daveopam

Forget the sound, the fuel consumption, the cost, the weight, all that stuff. When the rudder of your bird is 2" off the deck and you hit the throttle. The Saito 72/82 will move before the OS50/55. I think this will hold true until you get up into the DA-50 size planes.

David
I agree. The only fourstroke I owned was the Saito .82 and it was a hoss. One word describes the difference-Torque. Instant torque when needed for that quick pullout.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:03 PM
tstotts

Pros and Cons

2 strokes are cheaper, turn higher rpms, easy to start by hand, no starter needed and most of them are very reliable with no tempermental quirks.

4 Stokers sound great, use less fuel, pull a bigger prop at lower rpms giving you more air across those controls making ground handling and in my humble opinion better 3d control as 3d really makes good use of that old prop wash, but they tend to need a starter (not always) are heavier and of course more moving parts tend to equate with more upkeep and cost more to purchase.

You know guys no matter how much we are told that we are making all the wrong choices and doing everything wrong I have to say if your really having fun you gotta be doing it right. Just my 2 cents
Old 12-31-2007, 08:01 PM
wessco
My Feedback: (7)

The best of both worlds would be a YS .63 FZ(s) with a Xoar 13x6 prop. Revs like a Top Fuel Dragster. Torque of a 4 stroke and RPM's of a 2 stroke.....

Then there's the Webra .50. I hear that with a Xoar 12x4 prop, it'll get the plane moving just as good 2" off the deck than any other motor out there. Personally, I use a 12.25x3.75 on my two Webra's.I've got 2 YS .63's and 2 Webra .50's. Won't get rid of either, but my next .40 size engine purchase will be a hard decision to make. I say learn to fly what you've got, if you haven't got either....buy whichever one you want. If you don't, you'll always wonder if that "other" engine would have been better.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:10 PM
150flyer

All this thread really says is that you have to try both and decide for yourself.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:39 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: wessco

The best of both worlds would be a YS .63 FZ(s) with a Xoar 13x6 prop. Revs like a Top Fuel Dragster. Torque of a 4 stroke and RPM's of a 2 stroke.....

Then there's the Webra .50. I hear that with a Xoar 12x4 prop, it'll get the plane moving just as good 2" off the deck than any other motor out there. Personally, I use a 12.25x3.75 on my two Webra's.I've got 2 YS .63's and 2 Webra .50's. Won't get rid of either, but my next .40 size engine purchase will be a hard decision to make. I say learn to fly what you've got, if you haven't got either....buy whichever one you want. If you don't, you'll always wonder if that "other" engine would have been better.
That Webra .50 is a hoss for sure. Jerkey has one running the same prop and it's a great runner.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:57 PM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

something else to think about.in a hover with my mojo 40 and a YS 63 with a 13-6 apc it is torque rolling machine.nothing that can't be controlled,but just one more stick input.i tried a old ST 51 with a 12-4 apc and now a lot less roll and almost the same performance.it doesn't have the snap of the 63 in a hover but all in all i like the 51 better.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:37 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For the 2 stroke fanatic:
http://mypage.yhti.net/~dmcdnld/4cycle.htm

For the 4 stroke fanatic:
http://mypage.yhti.net/~dmcdnld/2cycle.htm

But the bottom line is you need to fly what makes YOU happy.

For me, 2 strokes make me happier than 4 strokes.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:39 PM
AKFireMedic

All things being equal, you will "typically" get more torque roll out of a higher pitched prop. It just "bites" a bit more and wants to torque the plane. That is why the 2 strokes running the 4pitch wide props always seem to torque less. Ever notice that in the videos of the big gassers hovering the pilot is almost constantly inputting full R aileron to keep it from torquing? They are using something in the neighborhood of a 10 pitch prop.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:07 PM
RC MANIAC119
My Feedback: (14)

That's some funny stuff right there.....I don't care who you are!!!!
Old 01-02-2008, 04:51 AM
AKFireMedic

Hilarious.[&:]??
Old 01-02-2008, 09:31 AM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: AKFireMedic

All things being equal, you will "typically" get more torque roll out of a higher pitched prop. It just "bites" a bit more and wants to torque the plane. That is why the 2 strokes running the 4pitch wide props always seem to torque less. Ever notice that in the videos of the big gassers hovering the pilot is almost constantly inputting full R aileron to keep it from torquing? They are using something in the neighborhood of a 10 pitch prop.

you know i thought the same,i forgot to say that i also tried a 14-4 apc on the ys 63 and that plane would spin like a top but what i realy miss is that sling shot out of a hover with the ys.
ENJOY! and THANKS
Old 01-09-2008, 02:57 PM
MIXMASTER
My Feedback: (15)

I've been full circle, first all 2-strokes, then went to all 4 strokers,then back to all 2-stokes for good, I'm convinced that a good slightly oversized 2-stroker is the way to go. Less vibe, less $$ for fuel,engine,repairs, easier to operate. The only advantage of 4-strokes is sound, that's it. IMHO
Old 01-09-2008, 04:10 PM
XJet
Banned

I fly 2-stroke and 4-stroke, love them both.

Some day's I'm in the 4-stroke groove and my Saitos get a workout, others I'm in more of a 2-stroke mood and my TT46Pros get to see some air-time.

It's all good!