Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Morris ARF vs Morris Kit....?

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Morris ARF vs Morris Kit....?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 06:18 AM
Hercmate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Morris ARF vs Morris Kit....?

Hi everyone,

I'm coming over to the States in a week or so, and I want to bring back a Morris Profile (which one? Top Cap, Knife or Sledge?) Anyway, I'm only gonna get one chance to do this for the next year or so, so do I go for an ARF, or a Kit?

Do they fly the same?
Do they come out at the same weight?
Any mods you can recommend if I get the Kit?
Any pitfalls to bringing one back to the UK?

Thanks for your time.......

Andy
Old 04-23-2003, 08:57 AM
lomcevek1

I have a TopCap ARF and it tips the scales at about 5 1/4 pounds the OMP edge I just finished weighs in at 3.9 pounds. BIG difference for similar sized airplanes.

As for them flying the same I can't say, I have not flown a TopCap kit.

If you have the time, patience,area and supplies I would go with the kit of your choosing (or get a couple)

Try this kit FF540 Ohiomodelplanes.com
Old 04-23-2003, 10:43 AM
Billy Hell
My Feedback: (2)

Instead of buying and arf that is 1lbs heavier and more expensive. Buy two kits. Get the Knife and the Sledge. Especially since this is a one time thing for you.
Old 04-23-2003, 10:57 AM
Hacker

Hercmate,
Billy is right on....buy the 2 kits...you will love them
Old 04-23-2003, 11:10 AM
RC_Junky
My Feedback: (1)

Two kits is the way to go but, make the Ohio Model Planes FF 540 one of them. It's a short kit but, what a plane!
Old 04-23-2003, 11:21 AM
Kevins_RC

I would strongly suggest that you go with a kit. I must tell you that I am bias regarding kits vs. ARFs. As stated earlier, ARFs typically come out at least a 1 lb. heavier and I don't think fly nearly as well (specifically due to added wing loading). Once you fly a well built kit, you'll never want to go back to an ARF. Of course, if you don't have the place, and/or time, then it becomes a 'no-brainer', and the ARF is the way to go. Since you even posed the possibility of going with a kit, then go with a kit. I would definitely make one of the kits the Morris Sledge out of the Morris line-up. You won't regret it.
Kevin
Old 04-23-2003, 11:37 AM
WreckRman2
Banned
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man I've seen one of these Ohio Model Planes FF 540 and I don't think it's got crap on a Knife or a Sledge.
Old 04-23-2003, 12:23 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

Go with the kit.... Not hard to build at all... And you will really be pleased with the results.... Nothing better than seeing something that came off YOUR building board take to the skys......

Besides.. the kit build Knife's blow the ARF's in the weeds......
Old 04-23-2003, 12:29 PM
Texas 3D
My Feedback: (16)

Yeah buy two kits, but make sure the GeeWhizBee is one of them ! The other should either be a Sudokhoi or Knife.
Still don't understand why Billy didn't recommend you the GeeWhizBee ? Very dissapointed Billy....very dissapointed.
Old 04-23-2003, 02:02 PM
Fastlif

Yeah I would do what Texas 3D says.
Old 04-23-2003, 02:20 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

I've noticed the same trend. The ARF's are WAAAYYYYY more heavy. I agree with the previous posters.
Old 04-23-2003, 02:24 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Sorry to post twice, but I forgot to mention that you should plan ahead on your purchase. Most of the time you have to get Morris kits from the company. My LHS doesn't sell them. I've only noticed one on-line company that sells them and I can't remember their name. Anyone else have availability info?
Old 04-23-2003, 03:23 PM
Hercmate

Default Thanks Guys!

OK I guess the decision is made! I reckon buying two kits isn't a problem. I like the look of the Sledge but not sure on the other one? Just a couple of things:

Why do ARFs end up heavier? Surely they're made from the same bits of wood?

Do any LHS stock them, if not its gonna be quite hard to organise?

Cheers, Andy
Old 04-23-2003, 03:25 PM
PaulSwany

As far as I know... The fuse Knife ARF has lite ply sides.. and the kit uses balsa sides. I also believe the glue is a little heavier on the ARF.
Old 04-23-2003, 04:00 PM
Kevins_RC

As Paul stated, no the woods are not the same between an ARF and a kit. Remember that the ARFs come typically from China, so they have to take into account their transport accross the sea. Its tough to keep everyting straight when you have to transport light woods accross the ocean, bound by plastic covering for over a month!
Also, as Paul stated, the glues are heavier because they are typically hot melt. This glue is cheaper and still quick, though heavier, and does not penetrate into the wood. Understand that not all ARFs are done this way, though quite a few are (more than not).
Hope that this helps
Kevin
Old 04-23-2003, 08:13 PM
Hercmate

Thanks guys I had no idea there was such a difference. I've got a Balsa Nova 40 ARF (quite rare over here) but due to a problematic motor that I've only changed this week, I'll not get to really see how it flies til the weekend. Will be interesting!

I'm sold on getting a couple of kits then, any of you guys know if LHS are likely to stock them? If not are there any profile alternatives? Thanks guys for the replies, it'll hopefully save alot of bone qustions in the shop!

Andy
Old 04-23-2003, 09:14 PM
John Wells
My Feedback: (10)

I have both the ARF and kit versions of the BN 40. They fly identical and weigh nearly the same. The ARF was a bit heavier in the tail and that's what I needed for the proper CG without adding lead. I think the BalsaNova is the exception between the Morris ARF's as far as not weighing more than the kits. My BN 40's are available in my gallery pictures if you want to see them side by side.

JW
Old 04-23-2003, 10:10 PM
Billy Hell

I will never build an arf again unless I have to. Give me kits or give me death.
Old 04-23-2003, 10:11 PM
PaulSwany

Should we call you Billy Hale... from now on...
Old 04-23-2003, 10:49 PM
BotleRocketWar

Originally posted by WreckRman2
Man I've seen one of these Ohio Model Planes FF 540 and I don't think it's got crap on a Knife or a Sledge.
LOL...

From what I have read (been reading this stuff for a long time!) everyone loves the OMP Edge and everyone also likes their Sledge. Everyone that has flown both realizes the difference and forgets about their OMP's...

The way things seem now, the Sledge can't be beat by ANYTHING in the .40 size range when it comes to 3D flying, I'm not just talking about hovering. I spent a LONG time looking for a new 3D plane and did a lot of research. I ended up with the Sledge...

I have never seen a Morris kit or ARF in a hobby shop. The Sledge is no available as an ARF yet, so you would have to get the kit. Chances are high that you will get it with some missing parts. Hopefully it will be minor things like a couple sticks of wood...

If you can get your hands on a Sledge kit, you should!

The Morris Knife is usually looked at as a beginner 3D airplane. Seems like it teaches the basic 3D manuevers the quickest, so you can move up to a Sledge!

Besides the Sledge, you might want to try something else. Maybe something that's not a profile...The Flip 3D, Laser 3D, or something like that...

I think you will enjoy whatever you end up with...Have a good trip!
Old 04-23-2003, 11:02 PM
scole
My Feedback: (5)

Could you tell us where in the U.S. you are coming? Maybe one of us could "pre-order" it or something like that so your trip would not be so long???
Old 04-24-2003, 06:02 PM
Hercmate

BotleRocketWar

Yep, I did a search of the Sledge on the net in general, really good reviews - it'd be the one to get. Like your idea on the Flip 3d, they're not even out here yet and when they are they'll be £190!! Thanks for the tip!

Scole

Not sure where we're headed at the mo I'll try to find out soon. Thats a very generous offer that I really didn't expect. I have to find out the itinery first though - its through work so not sure yet.

Andy
Old 04-24-2003, 11:01 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

I hear from Wayne that the Topcap and the Sledge are pretty even in the 3d department
Old 04-25-2003, 12:52 AM
John Wells
My Feedback: (10)

I've been flying the Topcap for a year now and I've flown the OMP funfly edge. I wish my Topcap hovered as well as the OMP funfly edge. I bought the OMP funfly edge kit recently. I'd love to fly a sledge but botlerocketwar hasn't sent me an invitation yet! I swear I'll be nice to it! I'm anxious to see one of the OMP Yak's fly too. It looks veeery interesting!

I built the OMP GS540 this winter and it hovers like a big un'.

JW
Old 04-25-2003, 11:51 AM
Hercmate

Am a little confused - does this mean the the OMP 540 is good or bad? I'm guessing that means its bad but I'm not so sure... If its ok and LHS's stoke them maybe thats the way to go? Does it 3d as well as the Sledge, I like to hover but I like doing elevators, harriers, waterfalls etc as well.

Andy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.