Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Words of wisdom for OMP 40 size 540Edge

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Words of wisdom for OMP 40 size 540Edge

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 11:39 AM
Robert Bauer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Words of wisdom for OMP 40 size 540Edge

Have one waiting to be built. Any words of wisdom and or advice for building? Plan on using a Magnum 52 - 4S. Will this be enough, too heavy, or any other drawbacks? Is the fuse strong enough to take anything other than a perfect landing? Any advice is welcome. Thanks Bob Bauer
Old 05-01-2003, 04:26 PM
Jerry Brown

I have only 8 flights on mine with a YS.53 but love it. Hovered it on the first flight. Very stable. Do a search on here for more info but I am really impressed with mine. The CG came out fine with the YS and just using regular hitec 422 servos. Th ekit went together fine. Had a couple of warped sticks to replace but that's normal. I used Dubro profile landing gear. Bottom fuse stick is hardwood so fuse is sturdier than most. The elevator halves are joined with a u shape paino wire as on many plane. I thought it seemed too flexible so i added a dowel right next to the wire and a little clothe and epoxy over that area and it was fine. Stock setup probably fine It was just more flexy than my Pro Twister or Sudo-koi. BTW This plane IMHO flys better tan my Sudokoi. Sudo pitches down with rudder pretty bad so knife edge loops are not cool. Edge 540p has Very little pitch roll coupling. Knife Edge loops and circles great.
The Sudo does snap roll and Edge does not. They are both ok in different ways but I really like the Edge. It just seems more stable and smooth.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:04 AM
da king
My Feedback: (5)

You cant go wrong with this plane. I dont know if the 52 will have enough punch to get you out of trouble in a hover. I have flown mine on a os46fx and a satio 72 and both have a lot of punch out of the hole. Not t.o.c. power but good enough to get out of harms way.

The one thing i like about this plane is the price. You dont have to buy new wood for the kit and the radio and motor is cheap. Stock servos on 5 cells and a $109 fx works great!

Click on the www on the bottom to check out my set up and video.

Hope this helps
Old 05-02-2003, 12:23 PM
Robert Bauer
My Feedback: (1)

Default 540 info reply

Hi Dennis, thanks for the photos. All of your planes look great. Looks like you used the wire landing gear. How has it stood up,and what size wheels are on it? Great family pics also. Thanks again = Bob Bauer
Old 05-02-2003, 12:39 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

I flew one 2 days ago. Had a Saito 72 on it. This plane have vertical like a T.O.C. plane man. I was hovering at 1/3 the throttle on it (not always accurate due to engines liner curve) and i could punch out of a hover and just rocket out!

There a little bit of a chore to build but worth every bit of it. I am finishing up my topcap now after flying my friends!
Old 05-02-2003, 12:45 PM
P-51B

One of our club members has one with an Irvine 53 on it. Plenty of power to blast out of anything!
Old 05-02-2003, 10:14 PM
da king

Default Re: 540 info reply

Originally posted by Robert Bauer
Hi Dennis, thanks for the photos. All of your planes look great. Looks like you used the wire landing gear. How has it stood up,and what size wheels are on it? Great family pics also. Thanks again = Bob Bauer
If i did it again i would NOT use the wire gear. I have to bend it back all the time. Put the wood in the fuse for an after market landing gear. I just put some alum gear on and like it a lot. I am running 2 3/4 or 3 inch wheels.

Thanks for the complements about the site.
Old 05-04-2003, 03:04 PM
DonH21
My Feedback: (3)

Dennis, just looked at your site. Your covering job on the 540 looks great!
I couldn't beleive how big he elevator is on your .25 FF!!
How big is it, also notice your alerons are huge too!!
How does it fly?

Don

P.S. I'm ordering FF540p Monday!

Changed my mind, I just ordered it!!
Old 05-04-2003, 04:46 PM
da king

Originally posted by DonH21
Dennis, just looked at your site. Your covering job on the 540 looks great!
I couldn't beleive how big he elevator is on your .25 FF!!
How big is it, also notice your alerons are huge too!!
How does it fly?

Don

P.S. I'm ordering FF540p Monday!

Changed my mind, I just ordered it!!
You will love the omp. There cheap and a ton of fun. Pretty durable too.

The ff .25 has 5 or 6 inch control surfaces. It flys a lot like my bat. Just no knife edge. I should put the bat on my site but have been busy doing every thing else.

Heres a pic of the bat. I like the scheme a lot better than the one on the 540.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	75700_15122.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	44840  
Old 05-04-2003, 05:02 PM
DonH21

Wow!! 5-6 inch! How small of an area have you tried to fly it in?
I bet you could keep it right in front of you with no problem!
Sounds like a great back yard flier!

The Bat does look pretty cool! Do you have any problems with the trailing edge causing flutter?

BTW how much do they weigh?

Don

P.S. I think your right about the OMP FF540! I've been holding off to make sure that I get the best bang for the buck!
Old 05-04-2003, 05:32 PM
da king

Ya, i can fly in a pretty small area. There real pitch and roll sensitive. Loops are about 3 feet dia and roll's are so fast you cant count.

The bat has a satio .40 4 stroke and weight's about 2 3/4 lbs. Full size radio.

The ff .25 has a magnum .25 bushing motor and weight's a little over 2 lbs. Full size radio.

Not sure about the flutter. I don't fly fast. Haven't had any problems yet. The bat is sooooo easy to harrier and hover its a little use less. I can pretty much harrier at real high Alfa hands off. Kinda looks cool doing harrier circle's with the rudder dragging on the ground.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:51 AM
AFSalmon

Default FF540P snaps

Hey, the FF540P does great snap rolls! With a funfly with this much control authority you can overcontrol it many times and I've learned that you cannot yank the sticks to full deflection like most normal planes for a snap roll. You have to be gentle and stroke it just right! lol Try just ailerons and rudder, or just rudder and elevator (much like a full scale). Bottomline is you have to find the right amount of control authority without snapping the plane basically into a "snapped wall". Although those are fun too. I like to come in inverted, do an inverted snap, let go everything except the elevator and do an inverted wall into a hover. Way cool but most times I dork it up!

Mike Pilkenton
Old 05-05-2003, 09:35 PM
da king

Mike.....That sounds sweet. I had to read it 2 or 3 times to get it in my head. I will have to try that.
Old 05-06-2003, 02:13 PM
AFSalmon

Da King,

Yes it's pretty cool when you can pull it off. I practice it on my sim first and then try it at the field. A lot cheaper that way!

Mike
Old 05-11-2003, 10:38 AM
WADE
My Feedback: (19)

If you decide against using the Magnum FS then you might think on the Webra 50. It's lighter than a 46FX and not much more money.

Wade