Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Knife or Extreme 330?

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Knife or Extreme 330?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2003, 07:01 PM
hroachen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knife or Extreme 330?

Hi...

I want to put a profile together for this weekend, my LHS has both the Morris the Knife ARF and the Goldberg Extreme 330 ARF.

I'll be putting an Irvine 53 into whichever i go with.

Any compelling reasons to pick one over the other? THese are the only two profiles at the shop, so please try to limit the discussion to these two.

Thanks in advance,

DAvid
Old 05-02-2003, 08:22 PM
Bob Talley

Have never seen the Goldberg, but I did fly my Knife kit for several years - it flew just fine with the MVVS 40. It finally got so beat up I had to retire the fuselage, but I still have the wing and tail.
I am now flying the Knife ARF with the MVVS 49 in it. It is slightly heavier than the kit version. - If you get it tail heavy enough, it is one awesome machine. I especially like the way you can land it on the tailwheel only and drag it a way on the tailwheel only.

Bob T.
Old 05-02-2003, 08:38 PM
earl williams
My Feedback: (27)

Default NIETHER1

ORDER YOU AN EDGE PROFILE. I HAVE HANDLED AND FLOWN THE PROFILE EDGE FROM EXTREMEFLIGHT RC. IT IS AWESOME SHOULD BE AVAILABLE FIRST OF JUNE.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:02 PM
hroachen

First of June won't get me flying this Sunday, but I do like the big Edge.

David
Old 05-02-2003, 09:59 PM
hroachen

I went with the 330 Extreme, hoping to get it airborne by Sunday.

D
Old 05-02-2003, 10:59 PM
Spaceman Spiff
My Feedback: (1)

I don' have a knife but that Extreem 330 is one fun plane. Mine has a lot of roll and pitch coupling to rudder, but everything else kicks.
Old 05-03-2003, 05:12 AM
Spaceman Spiff

ummm... cancel that rudder coupling comment. I made a last minute substitution of transmitters last weekend. i had a little mixing programed in for another plane :stupid:
Old 05-03-2003, 06:17 AM
hroachen

Good to hear that, you had me worried for a while there...

Assembly is going pretty smoothly, should have the plane in the air tomorrow or Sunday.

I have an APC 12.25*3.75 prop for the Irvine, and a 12*4 APC as well. Any other suggestions as far as props for the 53?

David
Old 05-04-2003, 01:10 AM
Spaceman Spiff

The 12.25x3.75 is a good place to start.

Good luck,
Old 05-04-2003, 01:36 AM
hroachen

Originally posted by Spaceman Spiff
The 12.25x3.75 is a good place to start.

Good luck,
Thanks, I'll go with that at first tomorrow. I also picked up a couple of wood props, an 11*4 and a 12*4 both Zingers. I figure the 12*4 with its wider blade might be nice, maybe trimmed back to 11 1/2 or so if the revs aren't there.

The plane's almost ready, got the radio install pretty much wrapped, just need to mount the engine tank, and landing gear, and make the throttle pushrod. I went with a micro servo right behind the engine, it looked like a cleaner run than from inside the wing. The only changes from stock were that I replaced the pushrods with 4-40's and used DuBro adjustable horns.

Looks good for tomorrow, I'll post a report when I get back from the field.

D
Old 05-04-2003, 07:52 PM
hroachen

Maidened the Extreme today...

Other than some engine issues, I had a great time with the plane today. It's great to fly a plane that snaps and spins well.

There's some pitch coupling with big rudder deflections, it pulls to the belly, but with small deflections it's not really an issue. The plane is easy to hover, and the Irvine pulls it up with authority.

The only real issue today was the engine. Ran a tank or two at a rich two-cycle setting for break in, then flew (still at a rich two-cycle setting, not rich enough to be four-cycling) but had a flame out every flight. It might have been a foaming issue, the tywraps holding the tank to the fuse were pretty tight and the foam was pretty well scrunched, it might also have been the way I routed the fuel line (drilled a small hole jsut big enough for the line to pass through the fuse) or it might have been an air leak around the carb...

In any case, I flew around ten or eleven flights, and at least four times I landed straight down on the nose from between ten and twenty feet when the engine died in a hover or transitioning to a hover. Let me say now, this is definitely one sturdy plane. The only damage was a bunch of broken props and the aluminum landing gear legs are now pretty ghastly looking.

The plane has a bit of a heavy feel to it, I'll have to weigh it to see just how porky it is, but other than that I think it's a keeper.

David
Old 05-04-2003, 08:36 PM
Spaceman Spiff

Glad it went well.

The Dubro sintered bronze Filter/clunc will take care of that fuel problem. OS makes one tw. They call it the Bubblles clunk. Works great.

I have a combat plane that would quit at a littel under a half tank. poped that sucker in there and now she runs till the last drop is gone.

Ive got Tetherite Crazylegs on mine. Glass filled nylon. great stuff. I am terrible at landing, so they are perfect for me.
Old 05-04-2003, 08:58 PM
hroachen

Thanks for suggesting the clunk, I'll pop one in tomorrow. I picked up a set of the DuBro molded plastic profile gear to use for now, but I'll probably go with the Crazylegs as soon as I can get a set.

It occurs to me that the Irvine might not like the fuel I was running, I was using some Powermaster YS 20/20... Most engines from the UK or Europe prefer low nitro or none, so that might also account for the flameouts. I'll try some 10% next time out, between that and the clunk I should be all set.

David
Old 05-04-2003, 09:07 PM
CaMike

David, was the Irvine a new engine before the flight of your new 330? What nitro content were you running? Maybe it just over heated if you were running anything higher then 5% without shimming the head....just a thought...plus if it typically did it during hover or SLOW speed passes (harriers, etc) then it could also point to overheating due to lack of airflow past the engine...I'm not sure if either of these could have caused your flameout issues but I thought I'd put it out there. Sounds like you have a great time!! Good luck with getting your engine problems fixed...nothing like a poor running engine to ruin a day...or make you not want to try the low and slow stuff for fear of another flameout.

Mike
Old 05-04-2003, 09:27 PM
BAD ANDY
My Feedback: (11)

Default I love maiden flights

We had 3 maiden flights today at the feild. 2 new Extremes and GP GeeBee. IT was a great day. The Extreme is showing signs of a descent profile. BAD ANDY
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	75749_11358.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	45050  
Old 05-04-2003, 10:06 PM
fla_g8tor

when I first set up my extreme 330, it was the first time I ever had an exposed fuel tank. I was amazed at the froth that was created even in a full tank. I experimented with some bladders made from glad bags, and they made such a difference that I went out and bought a couple of Tettra bubbless fuel tanks. I haven't had a dead stick that I can blame on fuel problems since I switched, and they provide a constant fuel flow, at any angle, and you don't have to worry about the clunk getting caught, or having the fuel slosh to the front in a slow dive.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:48 PM
Dennis Tampa FL

Fla G8tor, Where can you get the tettra bladder tanks?

What are the downsides to them?

Do you think they will work on a YS 63?

Thanks, Dennis
Old 05-04-2003, 11:51 PM
DonH21
My Feedback: (3)

I too, would like to know about the Tettra bubbless fuel tanks and where to get them!

Don
Old 05-05-2003, 12:18 AM
hroachen

Central Hobbies sells Tettra tanks if I remember correctly.

D
Old 05-05-2003, 12:20 AM
Texas 3D
My Feedback: (16)

Default 20/20 fuel on Irvine

hroachen,
I also run 20/20 fuel thru my Irvine 53, but have 2 head shims in there. One will be enough, but you definitley need at least one in there. If you don't have a shim (also called gasket set and only $3.99 from SIG), you should not run more then 10% Nitro thru it. The engine will overheat with high Nitro and then of course quit running. It doesn't matter what clunk you have in the tank. Get the shim. Just my $0.02
Old 05-05-2003, 01:58 AM
Sailor

Amen, brother.

I had an Irvine .53 on my knife and it would die after about 2/3 of a tank every time. Thought I had a leaky carb, so I siliconed it. Didn't fix it. Changed out the tank and fuel lines twice. Didn't fix it. Got on RCU and read about how the Irvine doesn't like high nitro fuel and went to 10% instead of 15%. Engine runs like a screamin' meemie. No more problems. I could even go down to 5% if it was locally available, but it isn't.

my 2 cents.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:10 PM
fla_g8tor

I ordered mine from central hobbies.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:23 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

Sailor - that was my experience as well... My Irvine's behaved much better on 10% or 5% with 20% oil. Just let's em run cooler and more reliably.....
Old 05-05-2003, 10:03 PM
hroachen

Okay, looks like I've got the day off tomorrow, and I'm ready with a gallon of 10% Omega and a DuBro sintered bronze clunk in the tank.

Also put some Irvine 53 gasket sets on back order with Sig...

Thanks everyone for the advice, I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

D
Old 05-06-2003, 09:56 PM
hroachen

The 53 ran a TON better today on 10% Omega. I also put a Dubro sintered clunk in the tank just to cover all the bases. No flameouts, just sweet running. The engine was running so nice that I was confident enough in it to try some real low hovering, and even did my first ever tail touch. Everyone who says hovering is easier down low and close is right on the money. It's just so much easier to recognize the need for tiny corrections when it's right up close.

Thanks again to everyone who suggested going down in nitro and the Dubro clunk.

Only issue now is a slight bit of loading up at idle. The engine doesn't stall, but if it's idling for more than a few seconds it does a bit of a hesitation when opening the throttle. I leaned the low end needle, but eventually got to the point where the low end was too lean, starving and sagging in the hover at low to mid throttle, but the hesitation was still there. I can live with it, but I'd like to get it just right. Of course, I could always stick a YS63 in there...

David

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.