Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Sledge 540 Best Fuel Tank?

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Sledge 540 Best Fuel Tank?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2003, 09:49 PM
Dennis Tampa FL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sledge 540 Best Fuel Tank?

Its seem's that I'm getting bubbles in my fuel causing my ST 51 to dead stick, and before I install the YS 63 I want the fuel system right.

I forgot whats in it now, it was a 6 or 8 oz dubro in the wing right side/engine side. and I had to remove a servo to get to it before and it was still a very tight fit could not get foam all around it soo tight. The last time I replaced the tubing and made sure everything was tight. But I still get some bubbles.

I'm now going to replace the tank and fuel tubing with brand new.

Should I get a smaller tank so foam will fit/go around?

What do you think is the best tank?and size?, Esp. considering I'm eventually going to install the YS 63 and that I want the tank in the wing on this plane?

Many Thanks, Dennis
Old 05-03-2003, 11:04 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Default Tank..

I have the 8oz Dubro mounted in there. I am running a HS-81 throttle servo mounted in the center rib with just the servo arm hanging out in the bay with the tank.

I don't have a lot of foam around it..some in front, and some on either side of the spar top and bottom. I built a little dam behind the tank to keep it from moving back. I can hear the wing creaking when I let the pressure off the tank so I know it has to be swelling up and hitting wood.

I don't get any bubbles, and this tank isn't what I would call well padded, but I think the lower revs of the 4-stroke makes for less bubbles. I can fly with perfect performance all the way to the bottom of the tank. Which brings up the next point..

You will hate it with a 6oz tank on a YS 63. I have to be very careful to keep from running out of fuel. Just about the time I really get to going good I have to land. I've never had a dead stick, but I've landed on fumes.
Old 05-03-2003, 11:33 PM
Dennis Tampa FL

Thanks, Chuck, I was wondering myself if different vibrations of the 4 stroke might not make bubbles, but then again I remember some saying 4 strokes have more vibration.

I guess the different frequency vibration could have a different effect/ no or more bubbles.

Can other's chime in on this?

Mabey I can just go install the YS and see what happens?

Thanks, Dennis
Old 05-04-2003, 01:08 AM
JWilliams
My Feedback: (6)

Dennis, I run the sullivan 8oz rectangle tank turned on its side so it fits. I never have put foam around any of my tanks on a profile plane and never had problems. I run the MVVS 49 though, and the YS63 may need a hayes tank to stand the pressure. Best of luck, Jeff W.
Old 05-04-2003, 01:43 AM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Default Just a note..

The Dubro 8oz is what came with my kit.

I run a YS 63.

This combo works very well.