Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

46 FX low compression

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

46 FX low compression

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2003, 05:45 AM
lomcevek1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46 FX low compression

After an Amazing flight of about 20 minutes I could see the fuel was getting low and while in a hover I could smell something a little different as I was being blasted with the prop. I landed and killed the engine and turned it over and there was little compression. After it had cooled off it felt normal again. I have not turned and engine over before when it was hot so I am not sure what to feel for. It was not running lean as far as I know but maybe I had some foaming as the tank was getting low. Any way I will fly it tomorrow and see how it performs.
Old 05-10-2003, 08:01 AM
edberry22

I would think there would still be some compression resistance even after it reached operating temp. but I can honestly say I have never turned a prop on a hot engine either.
Let us know, cause I am interested in hearing what you find.
Old 05-10-2003, 02:28 PM
bugsiegel
My Feedback: (2)

Default check this

I have three FX series engines ,l two .32 and one .46 and all three peel on the liner.
I don't recall if they had low compression when they were hot but a different smell might be a sign. take the piston and liner out and look for peeling on the liner.
if you find peeling at all send the piston and liner to hobby services and they will exchange it for free.
sounds great right?
only problem is over the past two years I have exchanged 4 liners.
starting to get annoying now. aside from the liner problem they run great, but I think I'm finished with the FX line of engines.
Old 05-10-2003, 03:20 PM
Dennis Tampa FL

My OS 32 sx just started having problem's holding idle needed higher idle trim to get it to idle.

No bad smell, but no compression when warm a little compression when cold and didnot have a smooth freee wheeling spot like it use to, It had tension during the whole revolution of the prop.

Took the head off and it looked ok.

So I'm sending mine back, it had less than a gallon of of Omega 10 percent through it from new.

Dennis