Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

what servos do you guys trust??

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

what servos do you guys trust??

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2003, 01:44 PM
Vref
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what servos do you guys trust??

I am upgrading my radio gear after about 10 years and would like to know what servos you guys are using on your profiles. I like the price of Hitec and was considering some 605's. I have a JR system.
Thanks
Old 05-17-2003, 01:55 PM
edberry22

Just out of curiousity
Are the JR servos not working any longer?
I have two rather new JR 632's and am planning on useing the servos that came with them......I have not had any trouble with them to date.
Old 05-17-2003, 11:01 PM
JIVE TURKEY

futaba 3003's or 3004's, cheap, durable, dependable, light!
Old 05-17-2003, 11:19 PM
BotleRocketWar

Anytime I am given the chance to say what I think about servos, there is one thing I have to say first. I think Hitec servos are the worst servos you can buy. They are just as cheap as everyone says, but it's not just their price. They are junk. They are awful servos that will not be reliable, dependable, strong, or worth it in the long run. They are NOT a good value! They will fail, strip and break and have done it to me and hundreds of other people. Yeah, I know other brands will too, but this often?

Most people that have had them fail on them will defend them any way that they can. I don't understand why. When half of your servos that cost 1/2 price fail, wouldn't it have been better go get good ones in the first place?

"It's just this series. The others are OK"

"It's only the plastic geared version, the MG won't strip!"

"...but they have good tech suppport!"

"They are just so cheap."

"It was my fault for setting the EPA to 150%..."

I hear (and read!) that kind of thing all the time. I don't think I will ever understand it...Why keep using them?

So, you want to know about some GOOD servos?

JR, Futaba, and Airtronics!

My personal favorite is the Airtronics standard servo for anything up to .60 size. I would probably trust them in a 1.20 size airplane too, but might use a few extras.

They are $13. They have BIG servo arms and small servo arms. They are smooth, quiet, and powerful servos. They have 50 ounces of torque which is about 10 ounces more than the standard Hitec and Futaba servo.

The Futaba 3003, 3004 and JR 517, 527, and 537 are also good servos. I have a bunch of each one and have NEVER had a problem with any of them. When I buy new, I always go for the Airtronics though. Yes, the Airtronics connector is compatible with all the others.
Old 05-18-2003, 12:16 AM
Vref

ecajberry...the JR's are working fine, the problem is that I have 3 of them...a couple no name brand....and some old Futaba 38's that I sanded on so that they would fit in a JR receiver. I am trying to modernize my fleet to atleast the 90's.
I'll probably go with some JR 507's...I think that they are one step above standard.
I am just looking for some advice.
CM
Old 05-18-2003, 12:28 AM
RCP57
My Feedback: (25)

I tend to agree with BotleRocketWar on Hitec servos. They will sit there and tell you there is nothing wrong with the servos out of one side of their mouth. Then out of the other side tell you that they have some centering problems or don’t do this if the software is not the current version. Well, do you have a problem or don't you? Why continue to produce and sell something when you know there is a problem? They say their return rate is about 1%, which is no worse than JR or Futaba. Well then did I purchase that 1%? Give me a break! I buy JR for everything except giant scale rudder servos. The I use Futaba S5050 digital servos.

Out of five HS-645 servos I had two that would not center in the same place more than once in their lifetime. Then I had some digital servos. Some HS-5645, HS-5945, HS-5735 servos. I had two new out of five HS-5645 go bad on the bench before they even made it into the sky. The rotated counterclockwise and locked. Both went back to the factory where they had their AMP replaced. Then I had two out of two HS-5735 servos do the same exact thing on the bench. All of these servos had the latest software version, I also had the Programmer and was updating the servos before they were used. I sold all the HS-5945 servos without even opening the box. After that I sold everything Hitec, which was only servos and the Programmer. I will never own or use another Hitec product again. Not even if the gave me the crap.
Old 05-18-2003, 01:14 AM
edberry22

VRef
So was I actually.
I just wanted to make sure is all.
I can understand wanting to modernize your stuff, heck if I still had my old Airtronics radio, I would be asking the same questions even though it never gave me a bit of trouble.
Old 05-18-2003, 01:33 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I use only JR or Futaba if at all possible.
Old 05-18-2003, 01:44 AM
dmajchrzak
My Feedback: (17)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hitec rules.

Well, here we go....

Hitec servos. I swear by them.. I have about 30 or so spread around 6 different planes..

When one of them fails, or otherwise gives me trouble. I might switch to a "name brand" vendor. Until then, Hitec servos are my -servo of choice.
Old 05-18-2003, 06:58 AM
fadmuker

Default interesting thread

hi guy`s,
this is an interesting thread indeed,
first let us clarify the question, before we get lost in the answers.
what is the question,

which servo is best to buy.?

budget priced or money no object.?

did the gears strip on impact? designed to save you a buying servo, just a set of new gear`s!!
personal opinions must be put aside, in favor of FACT`S only
simply I like them because there cheap, or I have not had one fail yet is an invalid input unless you gather info on the many thousands of servo`s sold world wide,
also you need to know what servo you are talking about?
many company`s have servo`s made for them by outside contractors such as GRAND WING SERVO,
So if we forget about digi and top of the range priced servo`s
and concentrate on low to mid price range, and everyone puts in there reply, a column of servo`s used by make, and servo`s
that have failed to work properly=F
that have stripped on impact=S
that have centre problems or play at the servo horn=C
we may arrive at a useful buyers guide, so i will startwith my servo list.
make no used problems
futaba 3001 4
futaba 3003 4
j/perkins s03 8 1@c
j/perkins naro 6 2@s
hitec 81 2 1@s
hitec std 4 1@f
gws naro 6
gws pico 5.5 4
SO SHALL WE CONTINUE THIS SURVEY
its fun to fly funfly
Old 05-18-2003, 11:40 AM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

Only JR!!!!! The 811 are great servos for profiles!

Doug
Old 05-18-2003, 11:50 AM
augiep38
My Feedback: (3)

Only JR for me too. I use the 811, 8231, 4721, and 8411 and have never had a problem.

Todd
Old 05-18-2003, 01:44 PM
Vref

Thanks for all the responses, I know this subject is all about personal opinion. I'm just seeing what people like. I should have been a little more specific about what I am looking for.
Price is an object, I am looking to spend $30-$40 each. I like the bang for the buck that profiles give you.
Thanks Fellas
CM
Old 05-18-2003, 01:52 PM
WreckRman2
Banned
My Feedback: (5)

Can't go wrong with the JR811 or the JR531.... and you don't want to get me started on Hitec's. LOL

Just look at my avatar... first and only time I used Hitec's. I'm in the 1% bracket too.

Changed my avatar... look at http://www.internetflyin.com in the photo gallery for pics of my DP Extra that lasted all of 5 flights.
Old 05-18-2003, 07:36 PM
Spaceman Spiff
My Feedback: (1)

Hitec rules!
Old 05-18-2003, 11:40 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bought 2 new Hitec 605BBs, plugged them in, One worked, the other went to the end and hummed.Wouldnt trust either one in a wheelbarrow.
Old 05-18-2003, 11:55 PM
BUCKETOBOLTS

Hitec's are priced right, but you get what you pay for. I just install the new digitals and am not greatly impressed. Have never had a problem with any of my JR's though. I too have eyed the 811 for my next profile.
Old 05-19-2003, 12:30 AM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

I am a minority I guess.

I have or had owned the following Hitec servos:

Hitec 422s

Hitec 425s

Hitec 605BBs

Hitec 645MG

Hitec 5645 Digital servos

Hitec 5945 Digital Coreless servo

I have YET experience any problems with any of the above mentioned servos from my OWN experience.

I have tested many of my servos on a bench before and always look for problems before I go use them on my plane.

Just my personal experience with them
Old 05-19-2003, 01:16 AM
Spaceman Spiff

I have a lot of Hitec servos. The only troubles were stripped gears on 2 micro HS 81s... after about 20 nasty crashes in a Zagi. ive lost gears in 5 JR standards.

So in my limited experience, the hitecs are 2.5 times better than JR.
Old 05-19-2003, 01:24 AM
UltimateFlyer120
My Feedback: (5)

Default Servos

Always interesting reading which is best! I was suprised to see no one was talking about Tower Hobbies servos. It seams Tower and Hitec have several servos in common. TS35---Hitec 225
TS 65----Hitec 605 TS 70----Hitec 645.
When it comes to what do I trust? I've stripped burnt up and killed some of every kind. I try to buy Tower Servos.
Old 05-19-2003, 03:34 AM
Vref

Tower huh? There is an interesting new twist. Any one else have experience with tower products??
CM
Old 05-19-2003, 04:00 AM
Flyfalcons

I have flown a plane with Tower servos. Just rebadged Hitec and Futabas for the most part. I trust my Futaba, JR, and Airtronics servos. I have a couple HS-81's on an electric jet that have held up fine, but wouldn't want to put them on a 40 size plane. This weekend I saw a 1.20 size Yellow Staudacher go in because one of the aileron servos (Hitec digital) locked full over.

The Futaba 3001 and JR 517 are both very good in that they are a step up from your typical standard servo. The 3001 is built better than the 3003 and 3004 to withstand the vibrations from heli use (30 size). I have four 3001's in my Saito-91 powered UCD and have had no troubles with them yet.
Old 05-19-2003, 04:14 AM
Scott Claboe
My Feedback: (9)

Futaba 3003!!!USe them on just about every thing.I have some 148's I use on thottle and ailerons!
never had any problems with airtronics either
Old 05-19-2003, 05:50 AM
WADE
My Feedback: (19)

Just when I thought all the Hitec slamming had ceased. I remember hearing a lot of this last year, mainly from the same people that's doing the slamming in this thread. Actually I've been hearing some good things about Hitec digitals in the last 6 months or so. I just bought two 5945 digitals. Now I hear this all again. BUMMER! You guys are great for morale. That horror story about the Hitec digital locking full over really is a humdinger of a horror story. Most likely that would be end of plane if that happened on one of my huge control surfaces. Hopefully it's an urban legend. But, that's wishful thinking. I know it's true since Flyfalcons said it. It seems there's no end to this issue.

Wade
Old 05-19-2003, 10:18 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had good luck so far with GWS servos of all sizes. Two yrs in Zagi flying combat and nose ins. Stripped one servo gearset. No electronic failures.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.