Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

OMP 540 almost done, now what?

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

OMP 540 almost done, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2003, 07:04 PM
pinball-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMP 540 almost done, now what?

Like a few others here, I'm almost done my .40-sized OMP 540. It looks like it's going to be under 4 pounds, with a TT .46 Pro on it.

Now that I've built it, I can't believe how different from a "normal" plane it looks. The wing and control surfaces appear HUGE.

My question is how hard are these to fly? I'm a couple of years past my trainer, and I've successfully flown a PBF, but I had a lot less invested in it! What amount of control throw would you recommend to start?

If the plane is responsive as I think it is, I don't want to panic on takeoff, over-react and crash on the first flight (like a guy I saw at the field last week). Is it essential that I get an expert for the first flight? I've first-flighted my own planes for the past few.
Old 05-17-2003, 07:30 PM
lomcevek1

Well the airplane is VERY stable and will fly SLOWLY !!!!!

However It is also responsive it won't do anything you don't ask it to but when you ask it to do something it responds with vigor. If you are past a trainer and can fly a PBF then I think you will have no problems flying this plane. You might have to make better use of throttle managment than before but that comes with practice.

Did you cover the wing with contrasting colors from top to bottom that is important?
Old 05-17-2003, 09:35 PM
jldecarlo

Also, I would use exponential and/or dual rates, especially at first. Use a low pitch prop (I use an APC 11x4 with my OMP Edge and a TT .46) and only use full throttle in short bursts. The plane will fly well at half throttle and may well tear itself apart in a full power dive.

The plane is really very easy to fly, and to land.

Leonard
Old 05-18-2003, 12:21 AM
Vref
My Feedback: (2)

No sweat man...these things are easier than a trainer if you want it to be. Just set up the low rate with something reasonable..I don't know what the kit says, if anything. Keep the speed in control...not too fast. Take off and bring her back to half throttle.
You'll be amazed at how easy they fly and how much fun you can have.
Let us know
CM
Old 05-18-2003, 12:27 AM
Billy Hell

I have said I would teach someone on a profile. Insead of a trainer get a Knife with gentle throws. A profile was my second plane.
Old 05-18-2003, 12:38 AM
edberry22

If the G2 simulator is at all close to the real thing, you will truely be amazed at how easy these things fly.
Landings are so slow and soft it will scare you.
Now as soon as mine is done, I will find out, but until then its sim time and more sim time, cause they are a blast to test your flying ideas.
Old 05-18-2003, 12:40 AM
Billy Hell

So can I get away with putting the ele together and sliding it into the slit and let it dangle there while gluing in the stab? I still have it on the board and want to go ahead and that if I can (put the rod through while flat on the board.(
Old 05-18-2003, 12:42 AM
edberry22

You have to make the slot bigger anyway so go for it.
Thats how I did it and except for the chore of hinging it I have no regrets cause I know the halves are lined up perfect.
Old 05-18-2003, 02:54 AM
funfly33

Me to Billy Hell, you make them what you want---- There a great plane I read on here somewhere once you go profile you'll never go back. If you think the small OMP 540 is fun to fly, fly the big one holly Sh-- it's a blast