Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Who makes this plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Who makes this plane?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2003, 04:58 AM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Who makes this plane?

I just bought this plane used. It needs some work but is a beut. I love it to death, I dont know what it is about the plane but I love it.

My question is where is the CG and who makes it?

My new CAP 231
Old 05-23-2003, 12:51 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is an OLD Great Planes kit.
Hard to tell from the pic whether its the 40 or 60 size.

Get a hold of GP and see if they still have the info your looking for for this plane.
Old 05-23-2003, 03:07 PM
3D'nPat

The Plane is not a Cap 231 but a Cap 21, Might be helpful when contacting Greatplanes for a CG check. Warning: Cap 21's are an old design and are known to have very bad habits if not flown properly. I was once told by a well respected pilot " If you can fly a Cap 21 with a heavy wingloading, you can fly anything". I had a Greatplanes 1/4 scale Cap 21 with a G-23 up front at 12lbs dry for a few years and was tricky to handle at first. It's not a good slow speed airplane. Elevator to Flaperon mixing at 20% helped to soften it's nasty tips stall habits. Overall, it's a fun airplane.

Take care
Old 05-23-2003, 06:21 PM
SunShyne

wow thanks for the heads up Pat. I will throw in some mixing once its ready to go up.
Old 05-24-2003, 09:43 PM
TailTwister
My Feedback: (1)

As I recall that is the plane that coined the nickname "Snap 21". The name has stuck to many of the Cap aircraft. I would not toy around with the CG or the elevator throw. Get it the way GP says and leave it. I ve seen a few 21s that were "more than a handful" for good pilots. Fly it down and flair at about 6 inches off of the ground.
Old 05-25-2003, 12:32 AM
SunShyne

oh man, no Im scarred, hehe. Im gonna recover it and make it a project before I just rush and get it up in the air. I hope its not too bad to fly
Old 05-25-2003, 12:54 AM
Kevins_RC
My Feedback: (1)

I believe that Model tech offered a 40-sized CAP 21, which is what it looks like to me. I agree with the other statements here, it was not a good flier. Understand its limitations - quick! Otherwise you'll be planting balsa seed. The CAP 21s that I have flown had some real nasty stall characteristics, some better than others though the same ARF. It can be a great acrobatic flier, though watch it closely until you get use to it.
Good Luck!
Kevin
Old 05-25-2003, 01:10 AM
bigbigjoe
My Feedback: (2)

Default not Model Tech

I think the Model Tech Cap 21 had a foam wing. The one in the picture appears to be a built up wing. Set both ailerons with about two clevis turns of UP AILERON. This will give a slight amont of washout to the wing tips and help the low speed snapping a bit. Land it fast. If you slow it down too much it WILL
SNAP.