Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Exponential Settings For Fun Flying

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Exponential Settings For Fun Flying

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2003, 06:55 AM
Daryl Martel
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exponential Settings For Fun Flying

I stumbled across a thread in the Pattern Forum regarding exponential. I fly using JR radios and usually program in about 25% positive in all axises to soften the neutral. I set my surfaces up for maximum throw which makes it pretty "twitchy". I set Dual Rate to about 50% throw but rarely use the feature relying instead on the exponential. I was really surprised to see in the pattern thread that guys were using minus values to increase response around neutral! What are you guys using? I find with my current settings I'm getting a pretty good handle on hovering, but if there's a better way to do it I'm all ears. Attached is a pix of my Sirex Wasp - what a blast to fly and power to spare with an Irvine .53. Cheers
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	80785_3876.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	47686  
Old 05-23-2003, 12:30 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exponential

Daryl,

I fly an 8103 and for most of my fun fly type planes I start with +50% on ailerons and +25% on the other axes. Then I adjust after flying if I need it. On a slightly tail heavy TopCap, I think I'm using +50% on elevator. It can get a little jumpy when the fuel gets low. I figure if it's nice and easy to fly without expo, it doesn't have enough control.
Old 05-23-2003, 12:55 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Daryl,

Expo is a Feel thing. What I like may not be what you like.
I tell people that if they understand what expo is (and you do) put in 25% and go from there.
You'll figure out what you like.

My fun fly's have 25% to 30% on all surfaces with high rates.
Old 05-23-2003, 02:14 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Daryl,

Nice looking wasp! Great covering job. I use JR as well and like the same amount of expo you and the other posters are using.

Jeff A
Old 05-23-2003, 02:24 PM
Mikerjf-RCU

Being fairly new to radical throws and 3D (not as young as I used to be either) I've been using 50% throw for low rates with 25% expo and I start at 80% expo on high rates. The 80% usually makes the plane flyable on high rates all the time so if I get in trouble and don't get it switched to low rates I can still control it. After getting some time on the plane I'll reduce the high rate expo to suit my taste. Like Wayne said eventually you'll set it to where it suits your taste.

Mike
Old 05-23-2003, 04:21 PM
outssider
My Feedback: (23)

I'm doing almost the same thing 25%-30% expo on low rates (not really all that low though )

and 75%-80% expo on full 3d rates...this makes it quite easy to fly the whole flight with 3d on for a fun-fly!
Old 05-23-2003, 04:35 PM
rab
My Feedback: (10)

Default expo

I have a 9C radio and I could be wrong but I thougt negative expo is what you want to calm down the plane. I thought positve expo made it go crazy. Am I right?
Old 05-23-2003, 04:42 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

With Futaba a negative number will soften the center of the stick.
With JR a positive number will do the same thing.
Old 05-23-2003, 05:57 PM
Thumper1

I replaced my 8U with a 9Z. Flying a Smith Super Special with max control surface movement, I use all of the negative EXPO that I can dial into the radio. Makes for a really pleasant flying plane that will do 18 loops in 15 seconds.
Old 05-23-2003, 06:42 PM
Hacker

Originally posted by wgeffon
With Futaba a negative number will soften the center of the stick.
so if i'm using +60 percent expo on my futaba 6xa i'm using LOTS of throw at the center of the stick...DUH no wonder i have so much trouble hovering the knife and the pqhor hovers all day long(not a computer radio on the PQHOR)....man am i Dumb
Old 05-23-2003, 07:20 PM
Texas 3D
My Feedback: (16)

Originally posted by Hacker
man am i Dumb
No comment
LOLROTF
Old 05-23-2003, 07:21 PM
jester1a
My Feedback: (1)

Are you sure you aren't reading about Futaba users? Negative %'s give a softer neutral on Futaba.

Jester
Old 05-23-2003, 08:19 PM
Daryl Martel
My Feedback: (3)

Excellent responses guys. I appreciate the confirmation that I'm on track. Re-reading that other thread I see that like Wayne said, Futaba requires a negative value and that is indeed what they were talking about. Having no experience with Futaba computer radios, that really had me buffaloed. I can't imagine why anyone would want greater sensitivity around neutral, but I'm sure there are valid reasons. Thanks again. Cheers
Old 05-24-2003, 04:43 PM
outssider
My Feedback: (23)

actually...maybe when you hover this may be a time when you actually would want quicker responses in the center of the stick!

I have noticed during hovering that 3-d rates are really not necessary....what is really needed is quick responses to react to whatever the plane is about to do...it seems that once the plane falls out to far from it's hovering position all the 3-d rate in the world won't get it back on-line unless you goose the throttle some to straighten it back out !!