Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

looking for a profile, 40 size'ish...

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

looking for a profile, 40 size'ish...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 07:18 PM
zaboaa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for a profile, 40 size'ish...

Looking for a good ARF or RTF 40 size electric profile. Prefer something made out of balsa (read traditional). This will be my first full on electric build from the ground up. Want to get out of nitro, sick of the mess/hassle. Recommendations appreciated...
Old 10-24-2008, 10:23 PM
XJet
Banned

Default RE: looking for a profile, 40 size'ish...

ORIGINAL: zaboaa

Looking for a good ARF or RTF 40 size electric profile. Prefer something made out of balsa (read traditional). This will be my first full on electric build from the ground up. Want to get out of nitro, sick of the mess/hassle. Recommendations appreciated...
As far as ARFs go there's the ubiquitous Katana 46 V2 that's still available from numerous sources and I hear the Mojo40 ARF will be available again very soon.

As for the "mess/hassle" of glow-powered planes I don't understand what you mean.

With my glow-powered profiles I simply:

1. fill the tank.
2. conenct the glow heater
3. flip the prop
4. fly

repeat 1-4 above as often as you like then:

5. give the plane a quick wipe with a paper towel
6. throw in the car
7. go home.

What's the problem with that?

I've avoided electric because I like to *fly* rather than sit around waiting for a battery to charge and I know that for the price of a single LiPo pack I can buy enough fuel to fly for a very, very long time.

But each to their own I guess.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:50 PM
zaboaa

Let me see:

1.) Plug in
2.) Fly

Repeat.

Charge batteries at night while having a beer.

What i don't have to worry about:

- Constant tuning the engines.
- Hauling around a flight kit (getting older, back is starting to hurt, LOL)
- Cleaning, cleaning, and more cleaning
- Smelly cloths, cars, hands etc....
- ever increasing nitro prices (arguable, batteries can be pricey, but can also be cheap)

Don't get me wrong, been flying nitro awhile. But been flying electric heli's (TREX 450 and 500) and some small foamies for awhile also (have numerous 3S batteries and 2 quality chargers). Electric is just such a no brainer. I just want a change, don't plan on getting rid of nitro stuff. Funny, I had the OHP V2, but recently lost it due to a bad receiver (don't get me started on specktrum). That is why I am asking about an electric 40 size type profile. What specific Katana are you referring do. Thanx for the reply.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:04 AM
XJet
Banned

If you're going for 40-sized birds then you'll have a few $$$ tied up in batteries eh? And a good crash will often result in a wiped out pack can make flying expensive if you fly like me.

I fly Saitos and ThunderTiger engines you won't see me fiddling with needles and I only run 12% oil so I spend next to no time wiping my models down at the end of the day.

And while I simply carry a medium-sized plastic toolbox with all my goodies (fuel, tools, etc) to the field, the electric guys have to either park close enough to use their car batteries or lug a heavy lead-acid battery onto the field.

The 46-sized Katana converts quite well to electric although (as is so often the case with profiles) there's always the issue of "where do I put the battery so that it balances okay?".
Old 10-26-2008, 08:23 PM
KWJ48

How about the extreme flight yak... http://www.extremeflightrc.com/html/48YakProfile.html