Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Why discontinued?!?!?

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Why discontinued?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 05:51 PM
panzertank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why discontinued?!?!?

I was hoping to buy the Tribute 36 PNP from horizonhobby. Apon inspection of their webiste i found that it had been discontined. Does anybody know why this was? Also, do you know where i could get one of these? any help will be greatly apprecaited thaks
Old 11-20-2008, 07:35 PM
jimmyd56

Default RE: Why discontinued?!?!?

Chief Aircraft shows them but don't know if they're in stock
http://www.chiefaircraft.com/rcmsec/...ributePNP.html
Jim
Old 11-20-2008, 08:30 PM
panzertank

thanks ill see if i can get one from them
Old 11-21-2008, 06:43 PM
panzertank

i just talked to cheif aircraft and they said the dont stock it.Does anybody know where else i could get one of these? thanks
Old 11-21-2008, 07:43 PM
KWJ48

Check Atlanta Hobbies... http://www.atlantahobby.com/shopexd.asp?id=6236
Old 11-22-2008, 09:57 AM
wessco
My Feedback: (7)

Why discontinued, you ask. Maybe it wasn't a big seller? Maybe it was not a good flyer, so not many people wanted them....just speculation, of course.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:33 PM
panzertank

i looked at atlanta hobbies. looks like they only sell arf version. thanks though
Old 11-22-2008, 03:28 PM
Regent

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PanzerTank,

A number of weeks ago there was a fairly long thread on the Tribute detailing the problems with the weakness of the fuselage. The problem was the fuselage would break right behind the wing or right in front of the tail section. The fuselage is constructed from 1/16†ply and has very large lightning holes to keep the weight down. It was pretty much guaranteed that a hard snap or worse yet, a blender would have the Tribute fluttering down like a shot dove.

One of my club members had his break in half on the maiden flight. He didn’t stress it very hard, just a full throttle turn while climbing out after takeoff.

I had just won one in a club raffle and with that in mind I decided to strip the cover off the fuselage and install a ¼†carbon fiber rod down the center of the fuselage from about the center section of the wing all the way to the tail. This stiffened up the fuselage a good bit without adding much weight. I flew it for a few weeks and finally screwed up the fuselage after an engine flame out and an off field landing. I used the old fuselage as a template and built another using 1/8" lite ply and made the lightning holes smaller. I added about 5 oz. to the overall weight but it was much stronger. I permanently glued in the wing and canopy section to give it some strength in the wing area. Even at that some cracks started to appear and I had to go in and add 1/32" ply gussets to the fuselage sides right at the trailing edge of the wing. I am flying it with a TT Pro 46 and since the last fixes were installed I have seriously abused the plane with high stress maneuvers and it is still holding up.

I think that most folks are not willing to buy a new plane and immediately have to strip it down and correct the inherent weaknesses. That is probably why the Tribute has fallen from favor.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:25 AM
Fuelman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: panzertank

I was hoping to buy the Tribute 36 PNP from horizonhobby. Apon inspection of their webiste i found that it had been discontined. Does anybody know why this was? Also, do you know where i could get one of these? any help will be greatly apprecaited thaks
Do not waste your money if you can find one, it is not a great flyer, built too light where it should'nt be. Seen two of these things snap in half in flight with not so violent maneuvers.

Get a real profile, buy something from OMP or Swany's House. They are tough as nails and fly like a 3D profile should.
The Fusion, Yak's, Mojo's, Primo's are the real deal that the big companies try to mimick.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:37 PM
joseph.batson

I have one with an OS 55ax on it, its a good flyer. Mine did break behind the wing but that was because I was too close to ground, the repair was easy, had one more incident close to the ground the plane flipped but everything was intact, I was suprised. This plane has been a great plane for my intro into 3d and has inspired confidence for me when flying it. As far as it breaking up in flight, haven't had that issue, I can fly along full speed, snap it as hard as it will go without problem, has been a great plane. My only complaint is, I bought it about a year ago at 79.95 from chief aircraft, just a few months ago, I checked on the price on another one, it was 144 bucks, other than that no complaints, great flyer.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85381.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	1080063  
Old 11-27-2008, 10:40 PM
KWJ48

Too close to the ground? I thought you're suppose to fly close to the ground. The closer you are the less damage you can get if you dork it.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:49 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Tribute has been around for a couple-three years...seems Horizon discontinues a lot of airplanes after only a few years? (the P-40 also comes to mind here )

I've got a Tribute with a Magnum .52XLS and have been beating the snot out of it for about 3 years now. Of course I modified it and beefed it up some, but it's been a decent airplane for the $ (I got the ARF version for 80 bucks )
Old 12-15-2008, 03:55 PM
jerrysu29

Panzertank Our local Hobby Shop has two fo the H9 Tribute 36 PNP on the shelf in stock just called them and conf. Who's Hobby House Rapid City S.D. Their Telephone # 605-342-0875 ,talk to Brent, Gin, or (store owner, Clancy) there are 4 or 5 members in our club that fly the Tribute 36 jerrysu29 Call Sign Wild Man
Old 12-15-2008, 09:32 PM
panzertank

wow thanks man. ill give them a call right away and see if i can get one.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:49 PM
jerrysu29

wow thanks man. ill give them a call right away and see if i can get one.
Hope the plane arrived OK? Panzertank, the Boys at Who's told me they had shipped one to you
HAPPY HOLIDAYS jerrysu29 Call Sign Wild Man
Old 12-22-2008, 07:54 AM
panzertank

The planes supossed to arrive on the 23 of dec and im real excited. I cant thank you enough for helping me out. RCU comes through for me again!