Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

New Design GS540P from OMP - Opinions?

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

New Design GS540P from OMP - Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 01:22 AM
joebob
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Design GS540P from OMP - Opinions?

Has anyone built the new design GS540 profile from OMP? I've been saving my pennies to get one of these babies and I see where they redesigned it to make it easier to build. I'd like to hear from someone who has built it to see what you think about the foam construction on the fuse. Also, how is the wing mounted, now that they did away with the center section? I can't figure out whee you get the strength to keep the fuse from twisting. Doesn't seem like there's enough surface area to mount the wing tube..
Old 06-19-2003, 03:07 PM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

JoeBob,

The new design has been EXTENSIVELY flight tested by 3 of the hardest flying pilots you could meet. Two of these guys are flying in the XFC if that means anything to you! ANyway the root airfoil is fairly thick and there is plenty of surface area for a solid contact. The concept has essentially been perfected and we are using the same construction technique on both the YAK (still coming) and the GS540P.

Mike Pilkenton
Old 06-19-2003, 03:40 PM
T. Mitchell

Hey Mike, Just talked with John last night. Ordered the GS540p. If it flys half as good as the FF540 WOW. I can't wait to to put it on the building table.

Troy
Old 06-19-2003, 04:28 PM
joebob
My Feedback: (14)

Thanks, Mike. I in no way meant to question the strength of the plane. I trust your design skills. I was questioning my understanding of how it went together. I've never built a profile this large and was just curious what technique you use to mount the wings.

Another question - Is the fuse still sheeted, and if so, what type of glue do you use to install it so it doesn't attack the foam?

Lastly, do you have the tuned pipes availabe yet? How much are they?
Old 06-20-2003, 01:58 PM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

JoeBob,

No worries my friend, I didn't take your posting negatively at all. After all this design is groundbreaking in the profile world and we all have questions. Heck I still have questions and am always looking for improvements in my designs. Yes the fuselage is still sheeted with balsa and any good ployurehane glue will work. We really like to use Gorilla brand glue but ProBond also is popular. The tuned pipes are available although we had all the headers stolen from our trailer this past weekend so if anyone knows anything about a bunch of MACS 4311 headers somewhere please drop us a private email on our website. Thanks!

Mike