Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Sig ultimate biplane

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Sig ultimate biplane

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 09:11 PM
Smashmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig ultimate biplane

Does anyone know anything about the Sig ultimate biplane? (the profile one). I know the fazer isn't too popular. I have googled and searched and havn't really found anything. I have an OS .46 AX that needs a home. Will this plane hover? The Sig websight says it will.
TIA Fred
Old 08-29-2009, 09:24 PM
ThumbSkull
My Feedback: (57)

Default RE: Sig ultimate biplane

The only one that's any good for that size motor is the OMP Boxxer and it's discontinued.

Do yourself a favor and get a MoJo or an OMP ProYak for that motor.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:05 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've built two Sig's and really like it. Both have/ had Saito .56's on them. My current one got the big fat chunk of balsa fuse hollowed out, made it a lot lighter.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:03 AM
ThumbSkull

Any plane will hover with the right motor/weight combo. If you are wanting to 3D then Sig is not the answer. They make great kits for sport/scale flying but for real 3D you need a purpose built plane like the ones mentioned above.
I'm doing you a favor pointing you in the right direction to save you some time and money to get there. The purpose built 3D planes are built much stronger and much lighter than the other stuff. If you really want a shortcut to the best place to start, it's a 60 size profile from OMP or Swany's. You can learn on a 40 size and many do but the reaction time needed is way less on a 60.

All you want to know about profiles and 3D are at:
GO TO

to learn about profiles and 3D.

It's the place where the leading edge is where planes are developed.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:26 PM
Smashmaster

Hello Thumbscull. I know about the profile brotherhood, and OMP. I plan on building a Mojo .60 this winter. But I also am looking at this plane because I want something that will go relatively fast(I realize Bipes have too many wings to be fast). But there are times at our field where there are 5 planes in the air, all going in a circle. 3D flying in a gnat race is over my head. But then again I really have no way of knowing how many people will be flying on any given day. And if I have a Mojo .60 in the back of my truck I won't have room for much else, let alone a Biplane.
It looks interesting but 2 wings is even more work if I don't like it. I think I have been talked out of it, but I still need a home for my .46 AX.
Fred
Old 08-30-2009, 09:32 PM
ThumbSkull

If you want a plane that will do the circle pattern or be happy 3D'ing then you might want to check out the OMP Fusion.
They are VERY good at 3D and actually make pretty excellent pattern planes on low rates.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:50 AM
flygilmore

I had the FF Ultimate you are refering to several (10) yrs. ago and it was a lot of fun. I have always wanted another just for something different. It is not a "real" 3D plane but it will provide lots of fun as a sport flyer. The fuse is the weak link in the build-trust me!! Building the fuse from sticks and then sheeting it would be the optimal way now along with a carbon tube down the fuse center line.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:40 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your 46 will be a good match for the Sig Bi Plane. I have had one for years and just love it. Good Luck, Dave
Old 09-19-2009, 06:06 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Smashmaster

Does anyone know anything about the Sig ultimate biplane? (the profile one). I know the fazer isn't too popular. I have googled and searched and havn't really found anything. I have an OS .46 AX that needs a home. Will this plane hover? The Sig websight says it will.
TIA Fred
The Sig Ultimate is a good sport fun-fly plane that will indeed hover with a 46AX, as long as you use the right prop, and you already have the skills to hover a plane. A 12x4 or 12.25x3.75 will work fine. But if you're trying to learn to hover, the Sig Ultimate might not be the best choice.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:28 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Increase the aileron size, that is the planes weak point. Flew mine with a .51 and was alright. I put a .90 in it and it was great. Move the CG back and the harriers/hovering becomes easier. Blenders and flat spins are cool. Look in at my models or gallery and you'll see the big one I made by doubling the plans. That plane is a 3D monster.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:27 PM
ally2mail

mrbigg, a .90? I put a .55 ax on mine and it flutters the tail at anything over 1/2 throttle. I'm going to try flying wires on the tail.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:06 PM
mrbigg

ORIGINAL: ally2mail

mrbigg, a .90? I put a .55 ax on mine and it flutters the tail at anything over 1/2 throttle. I'm going to try flying wires on the tail.
I don't fly around at full throttle. Throttle managment is a must. Full thottle for up lines only.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:36 PM
flygilmore

Uggh...now you done went and got me wanting another!!! Seems like the price has gone up a bit though from my last one. Course, that has been several years ago. I am wanting another just for the fact that they look cool in the air and final approach....not to mention, they do tumble/spin manuevers very well!
Old 01-22-2010, 12:30 PM
srp3d

Finishing up build now,I have not decided on a engine yet?
Ideas on engine welcome.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:29 AM
mrbigg

Saito .82 would be my choice if I was buying new.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:57 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've flown both the one's I build with Saito .56's but I made them very light by removing a lot of wood from the fuse slab. They also both needed nose weight so a biger motor would be good. A .62 would probably be enough.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...62A#quickSpecs
Old 01-25-2010, 03:13 PM
flygilmore

I went ahead and got one directly from SIG the other day. I will be using a Saito .72 on mine.....I have not checked ground clearance yet but hopefully up to a 14" prop will be fine. I do plan to make some changes to the fuse to strengthen it while reducing weight. So far, the wood I have used has been top notch and very light!!! I have been impressed

The OS .55AX would be another awesome combo!
Old 01-25-2010, 08:03 PM
mrbigg

A 14" prop will clear.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:38 PM
funfly53

I'm finishing my second wing on oneand yes it is double the work.can't wait to get started on the fuse.i'm gonna run either a 55ax or maybe a saito 80.which do you guys think would be better?

Glenn
Old 10-18-2010, 08:07 PM
mrbigg

That .55 is a hoss from what I've read. A four stroke is always nice when doing 3D work.