Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Question about doing a Knife

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Question about doing a Knife

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2003, 12:06 AM
polarisRCU
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about doing a Knife

My Goldberg Extreme 330 flies really well. I am still getting used to it, as it is VERY jumpy. I have tried and tried, and I cannot get it to do a knife well. When I apply rudder (let's say left) the plane wants to roll (also left) and it wants to pitch down (really to the left since it's on it's side)... I could be wrong... Maybe it wants to pitch up.... not sure right now... Anyway, I have a JR 631 which has no capability of "coupling". However, I have read lots of posts about this and I wonder if that's what I need to do to get my plane to stay more neutral ?
Old 07-05-2003, 02:02 AM
Billy Hell
My Feedback: (2)

You could put a little up in your ailerons. I have never "mixed" out coupling. If you can get it mostly going straight by moving the ailerons up a little you can just fly it a little more to keep it straight.
Old 07-05-2003, 02:15 AM
polarisRCU
Banned

Are you suggesting spoilerons, Billy Hell? I have the servo's set already to go that way, but I only have like a 5% deflection (flaperons)... All I have to do is to extend the control rods to get spoilers when up and normal ailerons when down.... How does that sound ?

Thanks for your suggestion.
Old 07-05-2003, 02:51 AM
Billy Hell

No not spoilerons. You would trim up both ailerons just a little. They live in that position.
Old 07-05-2003, 02:58 AM
polarisRCU
Banned

Thanks again Billy Hell !
Old 07-05-2003, 04:24 AM
bentgear

Polaris, try setting the ailerons by adjusting the clevises so they follow the contour of the bottom of the wing when in the neutral position. You will not be able to adjust out all the coupling.
Ed M.
Old 07-05-2003, 10:01 AM
polarisRCU
Banned

Ok, so the bottom contour should appear continued as I follow it off of the wing surface. COOL... Will do ! Thank you !
Old 07-05-2003, 11:22 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Billy gave some good advice... I'll go a little further...

It's likely that you need to really trim out your plane. There are a few web articles on how to do it.

Engine thrust line, aileron centering, aileron differential, CG, etc... all can play a part in getting plane to fly it's best.

In addition, (and I certainly hope this is NOT your case) minor (or major) building flaws can cuase alot of issues too... If the horizontal stab isn't perfectly true... the wing or horz. stab is one degree off in incidence... the rudder is one degree canted, etc.

Usually minor variances can be tuned and trimmed out.

With that said... my CG Extra pitced a "little" to the belly and I had my CG set to the rearmost suggestion (plus an additional 1/4" toward the tail)
Old 07-05-2003, 01:20 PM
bentgear

Mordib, while what you type is true, you are kinda locked in on construction on many of the profile fun fly types like the Extreme 330. Getting it set up for spins, flips, hovering, and harriers etc. takes precedence over straight and level maximum grace type maneuvers.

My advise for this plane is assemble it light, fly till your feel good about its characteristics, move the CG back till it flies neutral upright or inverted, stick maximum controls throws (45 degrees +) on one switch if possible, AND GO HAVE A BLAST.

Ed M.
Old 07-05-2003, 02:33 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Well... DUH!!!!!!

Somehow I read the first post and replaces Extreme with Extra...

I thought he had the 60 size CG Extra... all pardons requested...

I too have the Extreme (and RCU review is coming) and it flies awesome.

It does have some coupling, but what I found with MOST profiles is (as Billy said) getting the ailerons centered with the rib centerline... Then experiment with throw... It knifes better in low rate when low rate rudder is set to the proper throw.

I found that when it's dialed in right, the plane knifes much easier without as much coupling... too much rudder and it'll roll left and cut to the belly more...
Old 07-05-2003, 05:57 PM
Billy Hell

Don't forget that doing a good KE is not easy. Some planes are easier than others but I think the real trick is getting into it the right way.
Old 07-06-2003, 04:20 AM
JIVE TURKEY

I agree with all coments, and will add, that for me to do a knife edge pass across the sky, I've got to "fly" it! If it tucks, pull back, if it pulls to the canopy, push down, if it rolls, input opposite aileron...etc. Just get a feel for it. It sounds harder than it really is.(just try not to overcontrol!) Get to know your plane and anticipate what it's going to do, and what inputs are needed to correct. Not just in KE, but every man. like waterfalls, for example. Try it and watch what your plane does, eventually, you'll figure out what to expect, is it going to fall out left everytime? Than hold some right ail./rudd.. Even if you have to land, remember what just happened, and try it again. It's been working for me so far, anyway, as I try to get better at this 3D stuff. Sure is fun practicing!!!!!!!!!!!!!