Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

"Bogey" Landing Gear

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

"Bogey" Landing Gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 05:06 PM
Daryl Martel
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Bogey" Landing Gear

I don't know why, but you sure don't see many people using a single gear leg on their fun fly planes. If you have a grass field there's no harm done in dragging the wing tips around a bit and it taxis reasonably well when doing so. I was using lexan plates to mount my single nose wheel and broke 'em the day before yesterday. I wasn't surprised as they didn't have much give and had taken lots of abuse. Not wanting to spend big bucks on Crazy Legs or other CF gear legs (I have a bit of an interference issue with the gear and muffler anyway), I used a 1/8th" diameter nose gear and nylon mounting block. The nylon steering arm is locked into position with a shim and washer arrangement. This actually weighs less and surprisingly holds the weight of the plane very well. For those of you really bent on keeping the weight down, a single "Bogey" might be an option.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	91842_3876.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	52994  
Old 07-06-2003, 08:50 PM
dhooks
My Feedback: (24)

You still see this setup on a lot of the boom planes. I had one on my Yard Dart an it worked very well.

Dan
Old 07-06-2003, 11:47 PM
Daryl Martel

Default Appearance?

Maybe most people want two gear legs to maintain a semi scale appearance?
Old 07-07-2003, 12:00 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Interesting, I have never seen that before. So when you land, do you keep the nose wheel on the ground until the plan completely stalls? (saves propellers) DO you hand launch the plane?
Old 07-07-2003, 02:40 AM
Jerkey

Default DO you hand launch the plane?

No you don't have to hand launch the plane. It takes off and lands just like a regular plane with 3 wheels. Prop does not touch the ground.
Old 07-07-2003, 04:39 AM
Daryl Martel

Default Single gear

Taking off, landing and even taxiing can all be done relatively normally. I taxi out to the runway from the pits and taxi back after landing to my spot (if not too dangerous - you know those safety rules...). I find touch and goes are no problem either. Of course if you have a rough field you'd need wing tip skids of some sort, but off grass I've only had one little nick in the covering easily touched up with a drop of CA.
Old 07-07-2003, 04:44 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Probably because normal landing gear works better. IMO
Old 07-07-2003, 09:55 AM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

Not a big deal, but you have the strut facing the wrong way. The spring should wind up thighter as the plane lands, as it is now it will unwind. I also have to wonder how much lighter that set up is over Du-Bro profile legs?

Doug
Old 07-07-2003, 02:35 PM
Daryl Martel

Default Gear spring installation

Stomper - you are correct. I intended to put the spring the other direction - I'd originally intended to put the nylon mounting block on the other side of the fuselage to provide more fuel tank clearance. I filed the flat for the steering arm set screw accordingly but when fitting it to that side discovered the strut touched the muffler. Bummer. As it's mounted works fine. 1/8th" diameter strut is pretty light, 5/32" wouldn't be. Much cheaper than Dubro or aftermarket gear, and like I'd said before, I have an interference problem with the muffler because the Wasp doesnt have much belly - as a result the gear mounts higher than on most fun fly planes.
Old 07-07-2003, 03:31 PM
tetherite

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's the way the gear on the "Stickit IV" worked and it was fine. I put thin wire "outriggers", with little wheels, on the aft end of the wing tips and kept the tail feathers off the ground. Did the same on my PBF, but just used thin wire and no wheels.
FYI.
Ray