Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

OMP540 Info. needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 02:29 AM
funflyer06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMP540 Info. needed

Today (7-07-03) I ordered my OMP540FF. I live in Iowa so about how long will it take to get here? I was also wondering what things I can expect when I first open the box. What should I be aware of when building this plane? I could use and hints or tips to help make this thing light but strong. Will it be pulled around good with a Thunder Tiger .46? And will I be disappointed with this thing? I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Zach
Old 07-08-2003, 12:29 PM
otisflies

You should get it soon...they seem good with turn around time. In the box you will find lots of wood, wire gear, and and instruction CD. The kit goes together very quickly and building it stock will give you a very light and strong plane that flys great. I finished and flew mine last week and had a blast with it.
Old 07-08-2003, 12:29 PM
jldecarlo

I would use Dubro or CF gear instead of the stock wire gear. Other than that, I would build it stock. Mine flies great with a TT .46 PRO and a Mac's one-piece muffler - pulls out of a hover with authority.

It is a great plane.

Leonard
Old 07-08-2003, 03:17 PM
joebob
My Feedback: (14)

Just watch it carefully when you start building the wing. The wing is built upside down, but the plans are right side up. Just make sure you put the throttle servo mount on the correct side, and the aileron servo mounts in correctly.

The only way you will be disappointed with this plane is if you don't fly it!
Old 07-08-2003, 11:22 PM
akahoverit
My Feedback: (2)

Read the thread on the omp build, it helped me. This is the best profile I've ever had.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:10 AM
BUCKETOBOLTS
My Feedback: (1)

And make sure the tunnel is just large enough to get the 2 servo wires down the fuse. Probably the only pain about building the plane is running the wires down the fuse.
Old 07-09-2003, 03:54 AM
ParticleMan
My Feedback: (24)

Just flew mine tonight, I love it more and more each time I fly it. I don't see how anyone can be disappointed with a plane like this.

The Servo extension tunnel is a very cool design, but YES it's very hard to get two extensions in there. The bulky plastic end is what makes it so hard. Be sure to cut an extra large hole in the back of the wing so they'll fit through ok.

I used the Music wire that came with the kit and put the tail skid on too. It took some different bends to get the skid to work the way I wanted it to, but ground handling is not bad now. Gears pulled on twice on a hard landings, but with two fasteners on them (should have been like this in the first place) they don't move now.

I have a TT pro .46 on mine, it's really a perfect engine for this plane.

It might seem the kit doesn't have enough of one or the other size wood, but it does, there just isn't alot left over.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:25 AM
BUCKETOBOLTS
My Feedback: (1)

I removed the ends from the servo leads and then reinstalled after I ran them through the tunnel. Only after I fussed for 1/2hr with the ends on.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:19 AM
akahoverit

I must agree on the tunnel thing, but now I now how to do it, the next one will be a breeze. I spent 8 days, approx 22 hrs from kit to flight, next one will be 15 hrs.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:52 AM
John Wells
My Feedback: (10)

I'm just about done framing mine. Pay attention to the plans when installing the throttle servo. The photo on the disc seems to show the throttle servo being installed on the opposite side of the wing. I looked and looked at it, then realized it must be backwards. Did anyone else see that? It's a very small thing and easy to avoid. (Correct me if I just didn't have enough coffee that morning!)
Old 07-09-2003, 11:17 PM
Rc-Warehouse-USA
My Feedback: (28)

Been flying mine all season. Great craft! Have a TT.46 turning a 12x2.75 apc prop flys really great torque rolls, hovers, knife edge, water falls ect.. I went with dubro landing gear. You may want to install the throttle servo before covering makes it easy to get a screw driver in through the ribs. If you build it and find you have gap between the wing and the fuse use probond it expands, fills the gap and you have a rock solid bond! Mine weighs in at 4.25 lbs. You will want to use expo. on the throws about -65% all around as it is really snappy craft! Enjoy
Old 07-10-2003, 02:01 AM
akahoverit

RCU you used the destructions lol. I always start a kit with the instructions then go about most things on my own. I do read over the destructions 1st before I start and here on RCU just so I get the key info.