Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

here's my Flying Machine

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

here's my Flying Machine

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 07:19 PM
philfun
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: here's my Flying Machine

Hey Bolio,
I made this one few year back. It's for the windy day when the profile fly like a kite.
MVVS 40 for power.

Phil
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64542.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	448592  
Old 04-20-2006, 09:28 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Doug,
Bolio hit the nail on the head. Being a ProBro doesn't necessarily mean you own a flat airplane. It's more of a "Pushing The Envelope" attitude. If you enjoy pushing your plane's limits, your engine's limits, or your own personal limits, then you are already a ProBro who just doesn't know it yet.

Quite a few of the ProBros are former or current speed freaks who have now become hooked on extreme and 3D aerobatics. Since your Flying Machine is an airplane noted for high speed, extreme maneuverability, and extremely violent aerobatics......you already share a common interest among quite a few ProBros......including me.

Don,
Thanks for the setup info! And you're right about the 7.5cc pipe. That's the same size I was using too, but had forgotten about it. I'll be waiting to hear if going to a slightly larger prop on the 46AX will improve the performance or not. MA 9.5x6 or 9x7 maybe? You've got me curious.

That's a real bummer to hear about the high G fuel draw problems. Getting rid of the remote needle valve contraption usually cures that completely. Hopefully, the Tettra tank will help.

And just the fact that you're trying to tweak the prop size and the fuel system to get a little better performance already qualifies you as a ProBro......whether you officially sign up or not.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:11 PM
flyingmachine
My Feedback: (9)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sweet flying machine, do u have better pics? I have 2 of these flying right now, with rossi .45 and .40 I LOVE THIS PLANE, one is scratch built the other is an old kit with foam wing, I still have one in a kit/box sealed !

RICH
Old 06-05-2006, 07:42 PM
Muddiman

Hey Guys,

Check out my Flying Mchine web page. This is just the beginning there is more to come.

http://pulsefl.0catch.com/fm/

Later,
Don
Old 06-05-2006, 08:39 PM
Bolio

Cool to see this Don. Glad youre making a strong comeback. Any videos from your Flying Machine?? That should help jump the sales a lot.
Saludos.
Old 08-13-2006, 03:38 AM
nytprowler

Don,

Great to see the Flying Machine page, even though you may have just caused this month's car payment to be a few days late so I could get the new plans

My Dad just sent me some scans from his original plans crica 1990. In the info sheet, there was mention of a .15 & .60 size Flying Machine. The .15 size really interests me, as it seems it would be a real E-powered show-stopper. Are these plans still around anywhere?

As Dave mentioned previously, I don't think it's a coincidence that there are several members of The Profile Brotherhood that are interested in The Flying Machine. I can only speak for myself, but I consider you the first 3D pilot I ever witnessed in my life, way back when @ Byrons. Push the machine and the man on the sticks to the edge of the envelope, that's where you really start to learn.

If you have the time, I'd encourage you to make the trek up to the Nashville Pro Bro September 14-17th in Leiper's Fork, TN. After re-watching the Cloud Dancer's videos my Dad and I bought back @ Byron's (specifically the flying through the foam sheets) I think you might enjoy the comeraderie.

Jason
Old 08-13-2006, 09:18 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

If your having issues with fuel draw under High G's, you may want to consider a bladder tank like the tetra or jett.

They work great.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:06 AM
Vref
My Feedback: (2)

you guys are killiing me here....time to dust off the old FM plans. I bought the wood a few months ago to build another one.

Gotta get my Chinn Yak done first though.....yes..I am a BRO...

chris
Old 08-20-2006, 12:09 PM
Muddiman

Hey Guys,
I just changed my host server and the Flying Machine web page address has changed too. The new site is www.eagle-i.us/fm I just added another video using one of our Byron F-15's with real time TV down link. It was taken at RCACF back in 1991. At that time buying a TV down link was very expensive so I purchased a TV transmitter kit and assembled it myself. It was a two watt transmitter capable of ten miles but with that much power it was swamping the receiver, so we choked it down to a quarter watt. Tommy Veloskey did a great job of putting together the music and the video clips many moons ago. I have more video's coming just need the time to do it all.
Jason thanks for your comments. I don’t consider myself a 3D pilot because of the speed and aerobatics differences of the Flying Machine verses the low and slow 3D stuff. My demos are based on a four minute ground hugging violent high speed aerobatics one after another requiring extreme timing and control. For me this would produce an addictive adrenal high that could last up to thirty minutes or more after a flight demo. I think that’s one of the reasons I have never veered from this type of flying. For me the adrenal high comes in two stages. First its fear then and then once settled in, the “In the zone high” kicks in. You just have to get beyond the fear factor before you can fully enjoy the capability of Flying Machine.
I have drawings for the following Flying Machine sizes .015, .40 and .60. The .40 size is what I have in stock and the .015 and .60 are available on request.
Dave,
I don’t recommend the use of a bladder tank because of the other complications it can produce poor mid range and idle problems. Here is what I have found to cause fuel draw problems at high G’s. Tuned pipe pressure tap location. The pressure tap on your tuned pipe should be right at the beginning of the first apex from the engine side. The other problem I discovered was the new O.S Max remote needle valve. If you are using an O.S. Max engine with the remote needle valve I highly recommend you replace this setup with the O.S Max 4D carb you can purchase from Tower Hobbies. Also when using the Kraft Hays fuel tank drill out the pressure and fuel line ports to the largest drill size possible.
I would love to attend events like I once used to but the higher cost of gas and hotel rooms make for a pretty expensive weekend now days.

Later,
Don
Old 08-20-2006, 06:00 PM
Bolio

I want to thank you for sharing the videos on your page with us, great narration and editing.
The final part where the planes go trhoug the foam is great.
Saludos.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:03 AM
vpresley
My Feedback: (162)

What happened to Condor Models?? Not on RCU anymore. Could not find them on the Web?
Old 01-02-2012, 10:00 PM
rcsuperhero

Here is a video of my flying machine -before I sold it off for $1800. finished computer radio etc  RTF.      GT-  RcSuperhero.com
-It was a display /gift for the famous "Stan Lee's  Superhero party 2011"

Old 11-12-2013, 04:48 PM
PointMagu
My Feedback: (11)

Holy SH*T! I've got this airplane in a plain box downstairs. A brand new "kit". I bought it off eBAY years ago from a fella in Texas as I recall. I'd never seen this airplane before and bought it cause it reminded me of a Balsa Nova, lol
I think the rolled plans do call it a "Mudman Flying Machine". I know it has an unusual aluminum wing attachment, something I had no experience with prior to buying this.

I actually "stole" that design idea and incorporated it on a Kankge CAP rebuild.

Had no idea this was such a hot airframe! I figured it a one-off :-)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PB120014 (2).jpg
Views:	189
Size:	477.0 KB
ID:	1938787