Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Sledge Breaks Up In Air!!

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Sledge Breaks Up In Air!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 11:03 PM
ryansdad40

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sledge Breaks Up In Air!!

I lost my sledge today,, i was doing stuff,, I dont know the correct terms for these 3D stuff,, but then i climbed to do a inverted flat spin,, so cool with the sledge as it hardly looses alt.,, but upon entering, there was a sudden turn of events,, all i could tell is it was in 2 peices,, ,, upun examining the wreck,, ithe fuse broke in 2 right at trailing edge of wing,, earlies that day i saw a line where the monokote was also tore extending up on fuse at that location,, i discounted it as rash as it has about 3 months flying time on it,, all hard duty. but that is where it broke apart,, now i dont know if thats a possible weak spot or just my bad luck.
does anyone else show a stress crack at that location??
i will order a new kit tomorrow as i cant live without a sledge,, but wondering if i should beef it up there??
Old 07-09-2003, 11:07 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

That is definately the weak spot any ANY profile but it generally wont break under flight loads.
Has the plane been landed hard, flipped, bounced at all?

What might have happened is that it got cracked some time before the in air break up and it just let go at that time.
Makes me think thats what happened since you say you saw a line where the covering was torn.
Old 07-10-2003, 02:19 AM
akahoverit
My Feedback: (2)

Wayne your avatar says it all hehe.
Old 07-10-2003, 02:28 AM
wgeffon

AKA,

I dont think he was whining or complaining.
It sounded to me that he was suprised that it broke and my point was that it was probably cracked before that.

I flew a Top Cap all Summer last year that I knew was broke at the same spot as Ryansdad's did.
It never failed in flight but I kinda took it easy with it knowing it was broke.
It had broken right by the entry on the fuse for the pull pull cables. There was no way I was going to put glue anywhere near there.
Old 07-10-2003, 02:28 AM
ParticleMan
My Feedback: (24)

hmmm, climbing, inverted flat spin.. sounds like you got yourself into a violent blender. I threw the barrel out of my engine carb last week after getting into one at full throttle on accident
Old 07-10-2003, 02:39 AM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

I've broken my Sledge twice right behind the wing. But it was from smacking the ground..I would imagine he smacked a bit hard, got a fracture, and found that fracture in the air.
Old 07-10-2003, 02:51 AM
BotleRocketWar

I agree with the rest of them...

I don't think there is any way it would have broken in the air no matter what you were doing. Something else would have gone first if it was that violent. It MUST have been broken/cracked/weakened before the flight...Maybe a couple flights before that one. Could have happened from landing a tad hard ot loading it in your car...I tend to crack something up everytime I throw it in my gawd-awful car.

That is definitely a weak spot and mine is a little weak back there from twisting it all around and slamming it into the ground a bunch of times. I did crack my fuselage right around the center of the wing chord, but again, it was completely my fault and had nothing to do with "Flying".
Old 07-10-2003, 01:33 PM
Kevins_RC
My Feedback: (1)

Originally posted by wgeffon
That is definately the weak spot any ANY profile but it generally wont break under flight loads.
Has the plane been landed hard, flipped, bounced at all?

What might have happened is that it got cracked some time before the in air break up and it just let go at that time.
Makes me think thats what happened since you say you saw a line where the covering was torn.
I agree with everything said here. All profiles are weak there. It is the 'nature of the beast!'. On my profiles, I've installed a CF hollow rod in thru the fuse from the TE of the vertical stab beyond the TE of the wing. This helps the profile fuse handle the abuse we dish out at them.

BTW - wgeffon - I want a copy of that avatar! I want to put that on my next plane! Would you please email it to me the graphic file?. THANXS!
Kevin

Never mind - I found it in another thread - Thanks!
Old 07-10-2003, 01:43 PM
wgeffon

kevin.

The Avatar is getting lots of positive comments.
The best part is that some of the people that its directed to have said how much they like it. LOLOLOL

"WADE" here on RCU did it for me.
Old 07-10-2003, 02:43 PM
capthis
My Feedback: (67)

Well at least he has the right spirit. Gotta build another one! The funny thing is, is that I broke a wing completely off of mine and smashed the carbon gear but I din't hurt the fuse. I have flown mine at full throttle snips blenders, and whatever elseI can do and it has stayed together. But they won't take a crash! Good luck building a new one. I have a short kit to build a new one also. with the short kit I can select my own wood and hopefull come out a little lighter.
Old 07-11-2003, 01:08 AM
JWilliams
My Feedback: (6)

You select your own wood you will come out lighter. 3Dreaming selected his and it weighs 3.1lb and performs incredibly. Those of you that saw it at the internet fly in know what I mean and the engine was sick that day too. I love flying that lightweight, especially when that webra 32 is talking right.
Bummer ryansdad that yours broke up. It would almost have to of had prior damage. That fuse with those 3/8sq. sticks from back to front yield an incredibly stong fuse that is probably more resistant to breaking behind the wing than other Morris designs.
Jeff W.