Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Senior Telemaster

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 02:42 AM
KenR
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Senior Telemaster

I am getting a Senior Telemaster built up to play around with. Anyone have engine suggestions or other mods that will take it a little out of the trainer catagory?

Ken
Old 07-12-2003, 05:06 AM
BotleRocketWar

This prbably is not the best forum for this, but...

You can always enlarge the control surfaces, take the dihedral out (anhedral would be even better) and get some mixes setup like elevator to flap mix and see what she can do...
Old 07-12-2003, 10:40 AM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

The Senior Telemaster will except a wide range of engines from a 40 glow to a 40cc gas engine. the last one I had was set up with a OS 61FX.

Doug
Old 07-12-2003, 12:20 PM
Billy Hell
My Feedback: (2)

We had the FBI in the other day and they had put two gas engines on a Tele and said it could haul an 80 lbs pay load.
Old 07-12-2003, 01:15 PM
777M8

Build the wing flat add some counter balance to the elevators
and put a big flat fuselage on it sporting a 2.1 moki spinning a 22x6 or so prop .

Just kidding
Old 07-12-2003, 01:55 PM
gwinhh-RCU

WE HAD A guy in our club who had 23 Sr. TM's during his 15+ years His specialty was flying from his chair, low and slow, up and out, deadstick landings. Everyone flew his planes!. He had elevator and rudder couipled; itflew much better after I uncoupled them. He had everythig from ST 60-90, 90 FS. etc. Great airplane
howell
Old 07-17-2003, 04:59 AM
danhoh

My SR Telemaster has a ST91 in it.............. 2 clicks above idle and its still flying. Yeh, I wish my wing didn't have any of that dihedral. make wing straight. you'll be glad ya did.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:51 AM
gwinhh-RCU

Not to insult your intelligence, but I am addicted to stating the obvious.

Danhoh, have you tried a lower-pitch prop? 1" less pitch and 1" more diameter? You will lose forward speed, but will get greater torque and therefore more vertical. Just what you wanted, right........? I was given a Sr. Kadet and motor that I couldn't land. then I realized it was a 7" prop. No wonder.

howell
Old 07-17-2003, 02:12 PM
danhoh

Had the Sr Telemaster for a long time.... I have transparent blue monokote on it. When it flies over me, nice and slow and then the sun shines through it................... OOOhhhhh !!!!!

Your'e right about using a lawn chair with it, and that anybody can fly it. I fly it once in a while, during the few times, when I don't want to "Hot Dog" it. Which thankfully, don't happen often.

I confess that with this plane being such a nice flyer, and flying it this way all this time............. It didn't occur to me to change the prop. Well Duhh !!
Old 07-17-2003, 03:04 PM
gwinhh-RCU

I had (have) a BUSA Taube .40 size with transparent blue on the wings/tail and met. blue on the fuse. Lovely!

It's also been the target of amorous/territorial hawks when flown over trees.

no give in the landing gear or wheels -- only way to bounce-free is to be reeeel good, or to land on grass. It was the first RC plane I had for more than 100 flights.....and I fly it occasionally. Afraid I outgrew it...sob sob. howell
Old 07-17-2003, 05:02 PM
Telemaster46

I have a Sr. Telemaster which I modified for easy transportation by having the wing separate in the middle (built a socket for the three plywood spars in the left wing) made the stab and fin removable and the fin removable from the stab. The gear also comes off with three thumb screws. I added a 35mm film camera inside the body looking out through a window on the left side and I shock mounted and spring loaded the landing gear so that it has about 2" play aft. A simple bomb release (pin pulled in by a servo and a rubber band under the fuse to hold the "bomb") Excellent plane, love it.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:56 PM
gwinhh-RCU

Uh, Telemaster 16 -- what engine on the Sr Tm?
howell
Old 07-17-2003, 10:37 PM
ragbag

My Senior has a Saito 72 on it. Wish it didn't have all that dihedral in it, 2 pounds of lead in the belly stopped it from floating. Might try a wedge under the trailing edge.
George
RAGBAG
Old 07-18-2003, 12:07 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys are awesome in this forum.

I saw the title to the thread and thought boy is someone going to get ragged on. Nope, just good advise and conversation. Just thought someone should say well done!

John
Old 07-18-2003, 01:19 AM
gwinhh-RCU

Thanks, John. It's fun sharing. Ragbag, no offense, but it sounds like you have more INCIDENCE in your TM than you need. (POSITIVE = LEADING EDGE HIGHER THAN TE. NEGATIVE = TRAILING EDGE HIGHER THAN LE. You can stop the ballooning with LESS (positive) incidence in the wing -- a wedge under the TE as you suggested.

Take the lead out, then balance it where the plans say to (it sounds like you already have it balanced -- just weighted down. I'm not sure how much incidence the wing has, but you can put at least 1/8" under the TE. Fly it. If it still balloons, put in a bit more under the TE. Remember that with a lifting airfoil, anytime you pick up speed, it will climb. If you dive and level out, the EXCESS speed will make it climb suddenly.

Fly it level, then cut the power. If it starts down at anyting more than -- oh, 5 degrees, take out some of the negative.

Not trying to teach my grandmother to suck eggs or anytihng.....howell
Old 12-23-2004, 12:52 AM
pic
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Senior Telemaster

Incidence?
Old 12-23-2004, 07:44 AM
brownknows

Default RE: Senior Telemaster

My Sr. Tele is pulled by a Tower Hobbies .75 and has all the power I need. I built this with a bunch of mods:

1> The entire area under the wing is empty (tail surface servos behind the TE bulkhead, throttle servo ahead of the LE bulkhead) and serves as a 5"x11"x4" bomb-bay. Two 11 inch doors open and close via a retract servo. We drop parachutes, ping pong balls (ping pong ball lottery is a cool fun fly event), and even candy for the kids.
2> The wing is converted to bolt-on. I wish I had taken out the dihedral. Maybe next time.
3> Added flaps operated by the center wing servo, then seperate aileron servos out on the wing.
4> I widened the wing saddle portion of the fuse during construction by 1" to accomodate the bomb-bay.
5> Made the vertical stab and rudder 1" taller to compensate for the flap turbulence (I was taking full scale flying lessons when I built this).

I have made a bunch of attachments for this plane for various purposes. The main one is a glider piggyback [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1578796/anchors_1581447/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#1581447](read about it here)[/link]. There are about half a dozen gliders in the club that are converted to use this piggyback system. I built a glider tow platform also for towing in the traditional fashion. Finally, I built a camcorder mount that holds a Sony HandyCam under the wing next to the fuse (and holds a 20oz bottle of water on the opposite side for counterweight. That is a true testament to the lifting power of this plane.

Mine is decked out in Coast Guard colors and insignia.

Have fun with it!