Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Knife flat spin landing

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Knife flat spin landing

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 03:13 PM
Sailor
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knife flat spin landing

My Knife will flat spin so flat upright (and inverted as well), that I believe I could actually land it without damage, but I am too chicken to do so. Has anybody done this?

Billy Hell?

BTW, I love my Knife! Great bang around plane and w the Irvine.53 w/standard muffler it rocks!
Old 07-14-2003, 03:33 PM
BUCKETOBOLTS

I did that once by accident when I lost a pull cable on the rudder. It did kind of a belly plop but the engine never quit running.
Old 07-14-2003, 04:25 PM
Ryan Nau
My Feedback: (54)

I did it already with my one menace a few times. But the one time I smashed the end ribs on it because it wasnt flat enough and the wing it at to big of an angle and cartwheeled. But if you have it flap enough it will do it no problem.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:55 AM
bugsiegel
My Feedback: (2)

Default menace

after I built my second menace the first menace became the plane to do all the crazy things with. I like to spin low to the ground before I pull out. the guys standing behing me always yell LOWER>> LOWER>>>>.. one day I decided to go to the ground with it ... and then I took right off again. coolest looking thing ever. that plane took alot of abuse. it tought me alot also.
another thing I like to do is put the menace into the low cover. let it climb agressivly and then lock it into a spin. you hear it for 30 seconds before it finally comes below the cover. another croud pleaser.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:41 PM
rhd-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

Hi Sailor,
Where is yor CG?
Old 07-15-2003, 01:05 PM
Eco8gator

Hello

I too have done flat spin landings but with a Rippy Pro 3D. Its a bigger version of the Rippy competition fun fly(like the Menace), its just built extreamly light and strong. I'm not sure about the Menace(never saw one) but my plane only weighs 2.6 pounds so anything slow is very easy to do with this plane, it just floats.

Here is a Pic.

All I can say about your Knife is if you decent is super slow and you are confident in your landing gear then give it a try.

Carlo
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	94004_10446.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	53896  
Old 07-15-2003, 01:18 PM
Billy Hell
My Feedback: (2)

I lost an ele pull pull during an inverted flat spin once. I flipped it over and did an upright spin to the ground and only suffered a broken prop (on the Billy Hell Knife). I think my flaperons had a lot to do with it. I lost the tail on a bird last week (literally) and landed on the runway with the flaperons. So yes I have but I don't usually do it on purpose!
Old 07-15-2003, 01:33 PM
Texas 3D
My Feedback: (16)

The elevator on my Top Cap got stuck on day in the rudder pull pull, and it wouldn't come out of a inverted flat spin, and right before it hit the ground throttle was added, and it it the ground with no major damage. We (YNOT who was flying and myself) cranked it back up and kept flying. The same thing happened again. This time we broke a prop. I have never done it on purpose though. Well, kinda with my Showflyer (best inverted flat spinning bird), when some fellow fliers at the field (again including YNOT) where yelling "lower lower lower" while flat spinning. As soon as it got to low (talking about 5 foot here) I freaked out, and gave it up elevator instead of down, and the fuse broke. Some repair was necessary. No biggie, but I won't do it again on purpose.
I think harrier landings are probably safer and healthier for the airframe.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:10 PM
JIVE TURKEY

Try it, you only live twice. [disclaimer; not responsible for any damage incurred in trying wild 3-D manuvers, (read; idiotic) because, I'm too busy fixing my Knife after idiotic stunts]
Old 07-15-2003, 10:35 PM
capthis
My Feedback: (67)

There was a guy a couple of years ago at the Henderson Ky flyin with a knife and A ys 63 who did flat spin landings a couple of times. At first I thought he was crazy but he finally pulled it off!
Old 07-15-2003, 10:50 PM
George E.
My Feedback: (16)

I did it with my Knife by accident, pulled out of an upright flatspin too late :stupid: Bent the gear and broke a prop.

I wasn't expecting to "land", I'm sure I could make it softer.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:50 PM
jsonin
My Feedback: (4)

How about an inverted flat spin landing... with the engine running?

After I inverted flat spun my Pen Knife (smaller version of the Knife) into some tall grass without a scratch, JeffC performed the identical manuever but landed nose high with the engine running... the nose happen to sit on a mini ridge in the grass.

Here are two quicktime flicks of each of our attempts (~1mb a piece):

http://archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu/Cyberia...latlanding.mov

and

http://archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu/Cyberia...atlanding2.mov

-Juhan
Old 07-16-2003, 11:14 PM
philfun
My Feedback: (58)

Default COOL PLANE

Hey Carlo,

Pretty cool plane. Is it a kit ? What is the span ?
What engine are you using ? How it fly ?

We need to know more about it.

Thanks

Phil
Old 07-17-2003, 12:05 AM
Eco8gator

Hello Phil

My plane is the Rippy Pro 3D(one of the first prototypes) made by Jeff Gilbert www.diamonddustrc.com , he is also makes the insainly fast diamond dust

This plane is a bigger version of his Rippy competiton fun fly. It is mostly mades of many fiber glass tubes and rods, kevlar, carbon strips, and some wood(this plane is extreamly strong). Its wing span is 45 inches and the profile length is 37 inches. This plane weighs about 2.6 pounds and has a TT36(super smooth, just pour after run in the carb when the day of flying is over) with a mouse can tuned pipe(another Jeff Gilbert product), and it run on 30% nitro.

All I can say is this plane is a little monster. It will do anything you can throw at it. I have no problems hovering it, torque rolls, knife edge loops, snap rolls(super fast). Also loop touch and goes, and other various fun fly manuvers.

This plane is going to be kitted but I would talk to Jeff(call him) to see when it will be avilable.

There is only one thing to keep in mind with this plane, you need to put decent servos in it to get good preformance. I have JR DS811 servos on the alerons, and the rudder; I have a JR 4721(120 oz) on the elevator. The 811's are being pushed to their limits and the 4721 is just enough for my monster elevator.

Here is another pic so that you can get an idea of how big these control surfaces are.

Oh and so you know I have been flying planes for about a month(ask Jeff). I have flown choppers for about 2.5 years and planes came to me really fast(thanks to Jeff, a simulator helped a lot too,... and having a plane that can take a beating). So when I say it isnt that hard to hover, ect, I really have no reference another plane as I have never flown another plane like mine. What I do know is no plane at my field is as insaine as mine except for the other Rippys.

Carlo

Name:	94421_10446.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	53897  
Old 07-17-2003, 12:18 AM
Eco8gator

Hello Again

Here is a pic of me hovering my plane.

Carlo

Name:	94453_10446.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	53898  
Old 07-17-2003, 03:04 AM
SgtMitchell
My Feedback: (5)

I have a OMP 540 40 size and if the wind is not to bad I will flat spin to the ground, roll out about 6 feet and take off and do it again. It's a ball of fun. The other weekend at the field I was handing my brother the Tx while in a flat spin. He loved it so much he built one.
Chris
Old 07-17-2003, 10:24 PM
philfun
My Feedback: (58)

Default 3D LIL RIPPY

Hi Carlo,

Thanks for your pictures and your explanations.
Looks very nice, light, love it
It's on my list of projects.

I Emailed Diamond to get an update.

Thanks again ,hover forever

Phil
Old 08-07-2003, 02:05 PM
Sailor

Ok, I did it yesterday. Took an upright flatspin all the way to the ground on purpose and we got it on video. I will post it when we digitize the video in the next day or so.

Bent the stock aluminum landing gear on one side pretty good, but it can be straighted out. I can, however, replace it with some dubro funfly gear I already have.

Since I actually used the thin CA/baking soda method for installing the wing to the fuse, that joint cracked on the front side of the plane. A little thin CA and viola, fixed.

I must say, it was worth it and those present were LTAO!
Old 08-08-2003, 03:25 PM
Sailor

Ok, here it is:

Knife flatspin landing
Old 08-08-2003, 04:48 PM
wind junkie

Default Enduro Trademark -- "the Rotolanding"

Flat spin to landing is the trademark maneuver of the tufflight enduro:

www.tufflight.com/enduro.html

The Enduro is EPP, is super tough, and built to take repeated rotolandings.

The tufflight guys have been doing this for over 3 years: in the snow, on land, and sometimes over water on floats!
Old 08-08-2003, 05:14 PM
Sailor

What an amazing coincidence! :stupid:

Wind junkie, it appears that the tufflight people are located in the same town you are in! Absolutely incredible!

If you want to plug a product, that's fine, but it appears to me you are suggesting that in order to do a proper flatspin landing, you need a tufflight bird to do it. I may be wrong, but your post looks like an ad.
Old 08-08-2003, 08:40 PM
wind junkie

Originally posted by Sailor
If you want to plug a product, that's fine, but it appears to me you are suggesting that in order to do a proper flatspin landing, you need a tufflight bird to do it. I may be wrong, but your post looks like an ad. [/B]
Hey Sailor,

I don't know what you call "a proper flatspin landing," but I'm just saying that the topic this thread was initially addressing was "invented" over 3 years ago and is easily performed by a plane designed to do exactly what the original post describes.

I couldn't load the previous video, so I listed a site that has lots of MPG's showing flatspins hitting the ground (and snow).

I was actually trying NOT to overtly PLUG the enduro, but more "enlighten" people to what's around them. Frankly, I don't care if you buy one. There are plenty out there, but apparently NOT in your neighborhood.

People tend not to believe this until they see it. You have to be a bit wacky to fly an Enduro anyway.
Old 08-10-2003, 12:02 PM
3D plane heli

Default Flat spin landings

Sailor
like carlo i fly for team diamond dust i fly a little rippy also but my is a little diffent the carlo's it is a full blown comp. version it has a 2 inch shorter moment as well as a 2 inch shorter cord i use a t.t 39 heli motor with the head cut down,with a 10x4 prop im getting about 19000 rpms on the ground it is a power house.my landing gear is made of fiberglass rods and reinforced with kevalar string i have broke the landeing gear many times but never in a flat spin landing.this year i went to the nats in S.C.with our team it was my first nats ever and i took 3rd place in the sportsman unlimited class thanks to the plane and a lot of luck.i preformed many flat spin landing at the nats to demo just how tough our planes where i never broke nothing in that manuver.now on the other hand the landing gear went once while we where do our 360 t.g.we hade to do 5 360 touch&goes and i needed a good time to get in the top three so on my first try i nailed it full up and we started looping about the third loop just after touch i hear the motor burp and come back to life no time for the burp hear right down on the nose&gear she comes broke the gear and the judge said that was close you almost pulled that off fix it and try again you got 5 min,believe me it was a team effort.well the next and final try i did the 5 360 T.G in 9.24 sec that was 112% faster then the second place time of 21 sec.well i thought u would find that cool and if you build a rippy you e-mail me and i'll anser any ? you might have about the building and setting up.ill post some pics of me the plane and trophy later today and what was written hear about the NCFFA nats in SC can be looked up on the web site im shure the results are posted by now.well till later

ROOOOOOOP ROOOOOOOOOP
ROOOOOOOP ROOOOOOOOOP