Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

What about this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 06:58 PM
BotleRocketWar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What about this?

I can spend a whole flight within an imaginary 50x50 box...That means the airplane is going slow, with the nose up and bad airflow over the engine. Airspeed probably never exceeds 10 MPH...

I use a Pro .46 (Tower muffler) and am really worried about it...It wasn't made for this. It wasn't made for long mid-range runs with little or no airspeed, just what the prop blast gives it. This poor little engine has to keep my overwight Sledge above ground level...

I never use anything bigger than an 11.5x4 because the engine just get's too hot...I run this thing just lean enough get decent throttle response and enough power to hover. Sometimes it's so rich it takes full throttle to hover, but the engine still heats up. There is no way this can be "good" for the engine.

What do you guys think about this? Has this become a problem for anyone? Anybody thought about it?

What if I were to use a helicopter engine like the O.S. .46 FX-H? Will I have a problem keeping it hot enough? How will the above helicopter engine handle an 11.5x4? How will it compare to the Pro .46?
Old 07-18-2003, 07:26 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Default What about this?

If I was that worried about it, I'd just ad a few ounces of oil to my fuel. As long as the engine isn't losing its compression, I don't think it's hurting anything. Sure hovering out a whole tank is harder on an engine than flying around, but it's not like you have a house payment tied up in the Pro 46. Play hard and die young.

You know what's coming next.

Also..couldn't you get about 2 Pro 46's for the price of 1 OS 46 Heli engine?? And the heli engine will weigh more...just sayin'.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:02 PM
BotleRocketWar

Default What about this?

If I wear this engine out after 20 gallons and one day it just won't start, that's fine....It's been good to me. That's probably not going to happen.

If it dies in a hover because the engine is burning up and killing itself, I'm going to be pretty pissed off. That's what I am worried about...

I've been seeing a lot of good deals on used helicopter engines...I would never buy a new one, ESPECIALLY not an O.S.... I've just been wondering about the idea, but I don't think it will ever happen.

Chuck, speakin' of it just being money...Think you could buy a couple Sledge short-kits and let me barrow one?

I guess I'm just wondering what you guys think...Should I be worried about my engine? When I used to fly around in big circles, I never thought about it.

I'll have a temperature gun with me the next time I fly and I'll check the temperature of my poor Thunder Tiger. Then I'll find someone who does some "normal" flying and check their engine temperature. It should be a good comparison. For all I know, there might not be a difference. Then again, my engine could end up being hotter than the inner-most section of hell...
Old 07-18-2003, 08:28 PM
ChuckAuger

Default What about this?

Originally posted by BotleRocketWar
Chuck, speakin' of it just being money...Think you could buy a couple Sledge short-kits and let me barrow one?

No, but thanks for asking!

I know several of the guys on here who put their 2-stroke powered profiles thru a LOT of abuse engine-wise every flight. Haven't heard many DOA engine stories.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:35 PM
BotleRocketWar

Default What about this?

Originally posted by ChuckAuger
No, but thanks for asking!
I think I am about to stock up on them... Maybe build one with a smooth leading edge...

So, none of you guys reading this have ever even thought about this?

I don't believe it...
Old 07-18-2003, 09:54 PM
ChuckAuger

Default What about this?

I think I am about to stock up on them... Maybe build one with a smooth leading edge...

I don't believe it...
What, trying to bum short kits??

Oh, heli engines?? I know a couple of combat guys who run them, and a comp fun-fly guy running a Webra 32 heli.

Shoot, if everybody was burning up engines I'd imagine it would be ALL you'd hear about..where to get a heli engine.

Evidently it's not a great crisis. Richen it up a little more and don't worry, be happy!

Oh..I had a buddy selling a LOT of engines..one was an OS 45 FSR Heli engine..went for $52 on Ebay.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:28 PM
DonH21
My Feedback: (3)

Default What about this?

I don't believe it...
No, I never thought about it.
The prop pulls a lot of air over the engine.
I have over 14 gal. threw one of my engines.
It runs great!
I have over 6 gal. on my TT .46. Another great little engine!

Don
Old 07-19-2003, 07:51 PM
Hacker

Default What about this?

Originally posted by ChuckAuger
but it's not like you have a house payment tied up in the Pro 46. Play hard and die young.

You know what's coming next.

Chuck...you are a Roll
BRW...my os46fx runs really hot...never really thought about till i burned the s$#@ out of my hand when i went to pick up the plane by the engine...bet i wont do that again.
Old 07-19-2003, 08:54 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Default OS- 50 FSR

I run a heli-motor in my Magic, but not because of the heat...

It is true though, the Heli motor has tons of power and does not get especially hot after a flight...

I have one of the most powerful Magics around-
Old 07-20-2003, 02:47 PM
capthis
My Feedback: (67)

Default What about this?

Yes I have thought about it. And during a flight I do more than just hover and harrier around. I also practice rolling circles, and other "pattern" manuvers. I haven't burned up an engine yet. And if I do, Oh well they make more engines and airplanes! Yes I will be out the time it took me to put it together, but hey if I got several good flights out of it, then it served a good life. I love my sledge with the os 50sx on it. Easy to start, reliable, cost effective, and good power! I always set it on the rich side and don't concern myself with it too much, on the small profiles. Now the big planes is a whole different story!
Old 07-20-2003, 05:59 PM
BotleRocketWar

Default What about this?

I just switched back from the fuel I hate to the fuel I love...Byron's back to Wildcat.

There is more power now and the engine is definitely running cooler now...No more worries!

Wildcat is good stuff...