Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > PST Jets
 High EGT during startup >

High EGT during startup

Community
Search
Notices
PST Jets Direct support for PST Jets Turbines.

High EGT during startup

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High EGT during startup

I have a J600 and am using a butane/propane mixture. Immediately after the engine has ignited the starting gas the EGT temperature climbs to 800C and shuts down. The egt probe is inserted by about 2mm and I have confirmed the EGT temperature is correct with another thermocouple. I dismantled the engine thinking there must be something wrong with the combustion chamber however everything looks fine. The engine is outside the airframe so there is no restriction for air entering the engine. When diagnosing EGT problems aside from the installation of the EGT probe what are some of the common things to look for.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:19 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: High EGT during startup

ORIGINAL: dyerk

I have a J600 and am using a butane/propane mixture. Immediately after the engine has ignited the starting gas the EGT temperature climbs to 800C and shuts down. The egt probe is inserted by about 2mm and I have confirmed the EGT temperature is correct with another thermocouple. I dismantled the engine thinking there must be something wrong with the combustion chamber however everything looks fine. The engine is outside the airframe so there is no restriction for air entering the engine. When diagnosing EGT problems aside from the installation of the EGT probe what are some of the common things to look for.
Is it over temping on propane or kerosene ?
Old 08-26-2012, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: High EGT during startup

The EGT limit is reached during the startup cycle. It shuts down at 18000 RPM so there would be gas, fuel, and the electric motor all engaged. I should also mention the starting ramp up value is set to the factory default.