Notices
Q-40 Racing Discuss AMA 422 and any other variants of Quarter 40 racing

balancer

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 04:44 PM
j.gibson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default balancer

Could some of you post what type/brand of prop balancer most are using.

thanks, jg
Old 02-05-2011, 08:53 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: balancer

John, Been using a High Point for 30 years. There are several "clones" out there. Keep your
eyes open at swap meets, some times High Points show up. I haven't used one, but the Top Flight
magnetic one looks promising. Greg
Old 02-05-2011, 09:19 PM
garys

Like Greg, I've had High Point for many years. I also have the Top Flight, but changed out the plastic centering cones since they weren't straight and you couldn't balance any props with it. I ended up changing the rods that connect the two plastic stands so the length would let me use the High Point prop shaft and cones.

Between the two, I actually like the High Point better. The TF is almost too sensitive.

Honestly, I haven't balanced a racing prop in years, I just pull the APC's out of the bag, make sure the prop hole is centered(or ream it slightly oversize and use a centering shim in the molded back portion of the prop), and bolt it on the engine.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:15 AM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Honestly, I haven't balanced a racing prop in years
That's because nobody carves props anymore. But the last time I used my 30 year old High Point was to balance a helicopter head for a local kid.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:48 AM
j.gibson

Thankyou gentlemen for the info. I think I still have my HP buried up in the loft at the shop.
I also bought a new TF two years ago when I started flying again, but never took it out of the box.
I just figured someone had built the do all end all one by now. And yes, I remember "making props"
very fondly. You always had hopes that each one was the "MAGIC PROP". I used to finish mine
with ZAP ca and then polish them with the back side of wet or dry sandpaper. Lots of blisters..........

thanks very much, jg
Old 02-06-2011, 11:57 PM
garys

ORIGINAL: HighPlains

Honestly, I haven't balanced a racing prop in years
That's because nobody carves props anymore. But the last time I used my 30 year old High Point was to balance a helicopter head for a local kid.

Very true. I stopped balancing shortly after the APC's came out for both 428 and 422. I bet some of the race results would be different these days if we still had to carve props!
Old 02-07-2011, 05:03 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Yeah, they would be different for the 10 people that would still race
Old 02-07-2011, 06:37 AM
garys

Very true. Although I'm not sure we'd be down to 10 if there was still a decent manufacturer of wood props and blanks. Lack of good props from Rev-Up was a large driver of getting the APC's approved for Q500. If APC's never came around for Q500, Q40 probably wouldn't have gone to them either. While the APC's have made it easier for a lot of people, I'm not sure how many of them wouldn't have started or would've quit if the APC's were never in use to begin with.