Default Q-40 Arfs

Can anybody tell me of any good Q-40 arfs out there? Thanks
Old 06-03-2002, 12:35 PM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q40 ARFs

Crash,

In the traditional sense of ARF airplanes, there aren't any ARFs available for Q40 that I am aware of. However, I think just about all of the Q40 kit makers will supply any of their planes in finished form where all you have to do is install your engine, radio, and tank.

I think a better term for planes purchased this way would be "custom built". Of course, buying a custom built Q40 will cost you more than if you got the same plane in kit form. I think the going rate now for a finished airplane is about $700. All you have to do is contact the manufacturer and get on the list.
Old 06-06-2002, 05:54 AM
SSAN

Default Re: Q-40 Arfs

Originally posted by crash41
Can anybody tell me of any good Q-40 arfs out there? Thanks
crash41,

It seem that you want to fly fast and wanted a plane similar to Q40. If I'm thinking what you're thinking, I think you just wanted to have a plane that looks like a Q40, but not necessary a Q40 (confuse yet? :-) plane. If that's the case, check this web site out http://www.kangkeusa.com/ and go to F3D/30 ARF. There, you will find a composite ARF similar design/size as Q40, but without the cost of an all out racing Q40. The price are reasonably cheap and it will act and fly just like a true Q40. Plus it's ready to fly in few evening with a Sport .40's size engine.

Don Stegall also sale these F3D/30 ARF and he can tell you a lot about this plane. However, make sure to get the electric version if you're going to bolt on a .40's engine due to no engine mount has been preinstall. The glow model are preinstalled with an OS .32 and Jett .30 size engine mount and would be very difficult to make the changes (just keep in mind). I think this is what you're looking for in trying to find a very fast plane for Sport flying. Hope this help.

Happy flying!

Sam S.
Old 06-06-2002, 05:14 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Default Q40 Arfs

I've heard rumors of Kangke coming out with a Q40 (event 422) legal Arf. Don't know if its true or not, maybe Don can find out for us.

Rumored price of about $180.

I have also heard that they are working on a fiberglass / composite Q500 (event 424 and 428) legal for about the same price.

Would love to here if this any truth to this. Could be a great help to bringing in new racers.
Old 06-06-2002, 05:50 PM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Q500 Plane

They told me to look for it at or about the end of the year

BV
Old 06-07-2002, 02:31 AM
PylonWorld
Banned

Default Kangke ARF's

I can't comment on Kangke's AMA class racing airframe efforts, except to say that they are working towards producing a Q-500 and possibly a Q40. I have made efforts to find mold/plug sets and/or designs for them.

Whether or not the Q-500 will be all composite, I do not know. I can say that the APRA and other groups wood wing and tail rules that went into effect this year may have caused delays, for a variety of reasons.

If they produce a Q40, I would bet on it being all molded composite. I wouldn't count on them having a Q40 until sometime next year, maybe early in the year. But I could be wrong.
Old 06-07-2002, 02:53 AM
PylonWorld
Banned

Default Q-40 Arfs

Crash41,

If you go to QM-40 Planes you can find a list of most of the Q40's that are currently in production.

The Sidewinder is beyond an ARF. The motor mount is installed and I'm pretty sure the radio mounts are in place. According to Mike Helsel and Dub Jett, you can mount the engine, install a tank and radio and go fly. Sans finish. It was $500 the last time I got an update from Jerry Small. Mike Helsel has won the Nats the last two years with one.

The Miss Ashley II is at a similar state of completion and Rusty will mount the firewall and engine mount for a reasonable charge over the $475 standard price.

California Speed Pros (Lyle Larson) has 3 all molded composite planes that sell for $475 that are ready for assembly, priming, and painting. He will do them all the way up to Ready to Fly. One of the planes he has that is not listed on PW yet is the Proud Bird. The other two are the Dago Red and the Vendetta.

The Miss Candace all composite actually comes with two servos buried in the wing which can be prepainted in the mold. It starts at $400 (I assume the servos are extra). See the testimonial by Randy Smith at Building the Miss Candace Q40 Composite Kit.

Also Pete Reed will custom build and/or complete planes. His contact info is at Builders.
Old 06-08-2002, 02:07 AM
crash41

Default q-40 arf

Yes I am looking for a fast plane that also looks good and fly s good. There isn't any pylon racing near me that I can find , so maybe if I buzz around our club field I might get others interested in racing at our club. Thanks for all the info.
Old 06-08-2002, 02:36 AM
PylonWorld
Banned

Default Q-40 Arfs

The Kangke F3D/30 is similar in planform to a Q40. It actually looks a little better than it photographs. It is painted in the mold, but can easily be painted. If you don't want to mess with installing a firewall and motor mount, and you want to use an engine in the sizes listed at Q-3 and Q-2 Engines the standard version is the ticket. If you want to put something larger or if you feel like you can install a firewall and engine mount, get the electric version. The fuselage is made of polyester resin, so you would need some and some fiberglass cloth either way.

That said, if you are looking for the best route into racing, get a Lanier Predator (go to Q-500 Planes and click on Predator 500 for links and sources) and make sure it is the new version. Put an OS 46 FX or Tower Hobbies 46 on it using a Jett Engineering 4 bolt conforming backplate mount as seen on the Jett Backplate Mounts page. You will need a transmitter with V-tail mixing and dual rates. Don't mess with the Thunder Tiger Pro 40 unless you intend to race in an AMA 424 race. The 46's have a lot more power and you will get speeds between Q-500 Sport (AMA-424) and Q-500 (AMA 428).

If you don't think the guys at the field will go for the looks of the Quickies, go with the F3D/30. I recommend the OS 32 SX for it with a 9x6 APC sport prop. It is fast enough with that combination to impress most sport flyers, but not too scary.
Old 06-08-2002, 02:48 AM
crash41

Default q- 40 arfs

I have the new version Predator setting in a box out in my shop. I was going to put my OS 46fx in it also, I have a Hitec Eclipse 7 radio so that should work ok. I saw some of the Q-40s and thought they looked better also. Thanks again and anything you can think I need to do to my Predator please let me know .