Notices
Q-40 Racing Discuss AMA 422 and any other variants of Quarter 40 racing

Primer Reccommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 03:33 AM
smacfe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primer Reccommendations?

I'm looking for recommendations for primers. I have been using PPG K36. After buying a plane from Lyle that had been already primered, I realize what a pain in the rear K36 really is. First off it is gray, which requires more color to cover. Second, it is designed to go over metal and be machine sanded. It normally takes me 2 1/2 - 3 hours to sand off a coat of K36 primer and only 20 minutes to do the same with Lyle's primer which is yellow. I can't find the stuff that Lyle uses locally, so I'm looking for any recommendations from you guys.
Scott
Old 08-16-2006, 01:57 PM
kommander

Default RE: Primer Reccommendations?

Scott

I'm by no means an expert but I use and like a product made by Pacific Coast Laquer called Polyprimer. It comes in white, grey,red and black. I like the white or grey. It can be thinned with acetone and I,ve sprayed it with an air brush, it also sands nicely. Bruce
Old 08-16-2006, 11:26 PM
smacfe

Bruce,
Where can I get some ? I would really like to get a white primer
Scott
Old 08-17-2006, 12:07 AM
Dave Presta
My Feedback: (3)

Scott,
Bruce is talking about the same stuff we use, it is a catalized polyester primer and sands like butter. We sand the primer with 320 dry and spray base coat, and yes being available in white is a bonus. I would call around your auto paint stores and ask for it, if they dont stock it they can most likely order it for you.
Presta
Old 08-17-2006, 12:42 AM
garys

Presta, what do you know?..you're just a jet pilot and flies other people's stuff. Now go back to the jet forum so you can be with your real friends....

Scott...try this... http://www.pclautomotive.com/distributors.html

GS

ps...Dave, you know we luv ya...even though you dumped us...
Old 08-18-2006, 01:05 AM
smacfe

Thanks guys! I will give it a try as soon as I get back from the Medford race this weekend. Gonna miss Gary as co-pilot and partying with Presta this year. I hope ALL my airplanes fare better this year than they did last year.
Scott
Old 08-18-2006, 03:50 PM
garys

Scott, I'll miss the flight, last year was fun, even though you were stuck in Medford a couple extra days waiting for the new exhaust. Hopefully I can sit in the right seat for the Championship race? I really hope you have better luck this year....it hurt knowing you had the 182 down for repairs, and two fewer pylon racers before the end of round one...OUCH.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:49 PM
Dave Presta
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: garys

Presta, what do you know?..you're just a jet pilot and flies other people's stuff. Now go back to the jet forum so you can be with your real friends....

And you guy's wonder why there's no new pylon racers? Gotta new nickname for Gary:
"Schmidty the welcoming committee"

.....and by the way, I had planned on going to the Medford race but none of my buddies wanted to go and told me to just call for myself. It looks like everyone is saving their Medford trip for the Champ race, and Robert did not want to go because Richard wasnt going. Oh well, I will see you all at the Champ race I guess.........unless Gary would rather I just stick to flying Jets and not bother coming to hang out.

Presta
Old 08-19-2006, 02:08 PM
garys

Presta..are you feeling sensitive? That nickname's too long to fit on the back of a hat. The way you're talking, you'd think you never ditched a pylon race to go to a jet rally...

I would've liked to go Medford but just couldn't get any time off work, and Oregon's just a bit far from San Diego to make the drive after work Friday and be back for work Monday morning...I even would've called for you if nobody else was going..except you'd probably just fire me before I get there (like you've done before)..
Old 08-19-2006, 06:33 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I really liked racing at Medford, though it was a pretty long haul from the Bay Area. Always a bit on the warm side, but a good site for a contest. Do they still call it the North Vs South race? Did the North ever win?