Notices
Q-40 Racing Discuss AMA 422 and any other variants of Quarter 40 racing

Lets try to paint a Q40

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 09:12 PM
D.E.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lets try to paint a Q40

Hey that looks nice Jacob It will look really nice once cleared!

PylonDave, Yes it is two stage it used to not be very good back in the F1 days as the 65 or 70% nitro we used would eat it if it got under the clear but this 15% stuff doesnt seem to bother it.

I finished polishing it and threw it on the scales it looks like I will need to add about 3/4 of an ounce of weight.... Thats a good problem.

Dave E.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:30 AM
wrstew
My Feedback: (30)

Dave- hope the wife didn't see the finished "test project" yet, or for sure you'll be panel matching on the Camero today.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:06 PM
smacfe

Dave,
Where specifically do you buy your paint. There are only a couple of auto paint stores in Orange County and one refuses to sell me any paint other than primer and the other will only sell me water based, one part, urethane base coat in very limited colrs. And, they want $221 per quart for that.
Scott
Old 03-31-2010, 06:48 PM
kommander

We have a similar problem her in northern ca. In the bay area you have to go to Santa Cruz county and here in the central valley you have to go to Tuolumne County to buy paint. I'd imagine it's the same in the LA area, Probably have to go to another county in the boonies. I think there were new laws that went into effect in Jan. 2010.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:19 PM
D.E.

Hello Guys,

Yes there are some new EPA laws and I am not very familiar with them. Most of the colors I use are from a company called House Of Color. Ask your dealers if they have a color chart and if they dont stock them can they get them. That paint is still the old solvent based material that they did some " tweeking " to to make it compliant and it is still realitivly inexpensive. To get the reducer for the color you have to tell them it is for the clear as they can sell you it for the clear but not the color, I know it is stupid. The white single stage that I used is still compliant at least here anyway. The clear is really good stuff and cheap to boot, it also is compliant.

Maybe I am just getting special treatment from my supplier as I have been dealing with them for 25 years though.

Hope to see both of you at the BasinRace,
Dave E.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:43 PM
sahartman21

There are many House of Color sites.

Is this the one you use?

http://www.houseofkolor.com/index.jsp
Old 04-01-2010, 01:37 PM
Fly Fast n Left

Well I got some clear on! Just a few pics to share.

On the stand

Outside in the sun!

Im pretty happy with the way it turned out. There is a few spots that need a little wet sanding and some buffing. Somehow I either dragged my shirt or the air gun hose across the top of the canopy so there is a little blemish. Going to test fly it on Saturday!

Jacob
Old 04-01-2010, 02:35 PM
Mikey D

I have to put a plug in for "Xotic Colours". The company supposedly was founded by some former HOK engineers. What I like about this stuff is that you can buy it in extremely small quantities starting out in 4oz bottles for like $6.90. There are to many colors to pick from. The small quantities make it ideal for our hobby.

Their reducers are sold in as little as quart sizes starting at $14.03. and the clear is also sold in as little as quart size $51.00

http://www.xoticcolours.com/products_airbrushpaint.htm

Innate paints is also a distributor for Xotic Colours, you can buy from them too.

http://www.innate.com/Paint/Xotic/Xotic.htm

I have no idea about the CA EPA laws, for mail order though?

Mike DeNeve
Old 04-01-2010, 03:22 PM
D.E.

Hello,

Yes I have used Xotic and it is exactly the same as HOK and they were started by the same people, Should have thought about them also!

Jacob your plane looks great and if you are going to fly it Saturday there is no reason not to go to the Basin the next weekend, after all Im going and I suck!

Dave E.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Fly Fast n Left

Dave,
Thanks for the compliment! I was thinking of adding panel lines after seeing yours, but decided not to. I wish I could go to the Basin, there was a small chance I could have gone but I still haven't gotten all my gear together yet. I will be ready for the Basin race at the end of June for sure!

Jacob
Old 04-02-2010, 09:44 AM
Mikey D

Here are a few pics of my midget. Plan to fly this month in Ft Lauderdale. Was more or less my first time with a base coat / clear coat and taping. Devil is in the detail, but I learned allot, looking forward to painting the next one.

Sorry for the quality of the pic's, I have a cheap camera.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86302.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	1410034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99014.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	1410035  
Old 04-02-2010, 09:46 AM
Mikey D

Two more

Name:	Hf98019.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	1410038   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm35924.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	1410039  
Old 04-02-2010, 09:48 AM
Mikey D

This is the paint system I used. I was real pleased with the system.

Name:	Wu61573.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	1410040  
Old 04-04-2010, 12:10 PM
D.E.

That looks nice Mikey D, Have I talked to you before when I did my thread on trying to make a wing mold on RCG composites site? Thanks for the input on Xotic paints I had forgotten all about them!

Well here it is all ready for the Basin race next weekend, I will post how Travis does with it hopefully with some pics afterwards.

Dave E

Name:	Pn35847.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	1411709   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok28832.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	1411710   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz69272.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	1411711   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm28240.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	1411712  
Old 04-11-2010, 09:46 AM
D.E.

Well This is not a good sign it is Sunday morning and I am at home with the race still going at the Basin!

It seems as I was getting a little boastful about all of the success we were having with our AR6s and the good man above decided to nock me down a little. The photos show the carnage after the first 3 heets of Q40. Yes I said heets not rounds!

Two of those in that pile are Endeavors, They were going really fast after test flying on Friday and that is where the fun ended. Nobody ever admits that they just flew one into the ground but after my little being humble lesson I am going to tell you that is exactly what I did! It was awesome though pieces flying everywhere!

Travis got his really haulin a%# after fixing my C.G. error and got in the classic bad air spot just behind two others around pylon Three, As most of you know they either go up or down and his went down! He must have really liked the airplane though as I dont think I have seen him get pretty upset after a crash before.

Oh well looks like the shop is going to be busy!!!!

Dave E.

Name:	Ki19194.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	1416037   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38377.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	1416038   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16595.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	1416039  
Old 04-11-2010, 09:52 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ouch.. sorry to see that. That's racin, though..
Old 04-11-2010, 10:24 AM
sahartman21

It wasn't the bragging and getting shot down from above.

It was taking pictures of them before they actually flew!

Ask any racer and you will find that if you take pictures of your model it is guaranteed to crash. [8D]
Old 06-23-2010, 12:25 AM
ptxman
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Dave. Sorry to see the crash heap. Those were nice looking birds. Been there done that too.
Re your painting process...

>lightly sanded the white with some 600 grit wet and then painted the orange base coat. I use Base coat / Clear coat for all of the colors as you can tape off your next color 10 minutes after you finish spraying a color. This makes the whole project go pretty fast.

What base coat system were your colors? Im guessing it was different mnfctr than the white? Is that a solvent based, ambient cure, or is there a catalyst/hardener component that they are ready to tape in 10 minutes?

>First pic is of the clear I use, It is a cheap urethane that is water thin and dries very fast.... Then here it is all cleared, next is to polish it a little

Can you elaborate on the clear process. Same harbour freight el cheapo mini hvlp gun? Was it a couple wet coats & thats it, or staged coats with inter-sanding? Then what is your polishing wizardry, light sand with XX grit + the foam pad & compound treatment like car guys do? Have you found any toughness issues with the clear like on the wing saddle rubbing or removing the race stickers with lighter fluid etc? (Im using something similar I think, 5-star extreme. The jury is still out, its very thin, I like that, but seems to need progressive coat buildup to get any kin dof shine. Doesnt seem as bulltproof as the good old high iso paint I used to use, but maybe thats just my learning curve)

/pt