Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

wing stuck

Old 01-02-2011, 09:38 AM
BenG60

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wing stuck

A good friend of mine asked if i would build one of his q500 for him, vortex composit wing and tail, anyway heres the problem, i cant get the wing out after potting, per what ive read here, this should have worked, wing side, two coats of carnuba wax buffud, a generous amount of crisco, fuse side, 30 min epoxy a generous amount of micro baloons and a little milled glass,applied this mixture to fuse, placed wing on fuse, put crisco on threads of screws and tighted up wing, next day took screws out, no problem there, tried to pop wing out, no good. any ideas how to get this apart, with out terring every thing up. thanks
Old 01-02-2011, 10:30 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 175 Likes on 150 Posts
Default RE: wing stuck

From your post, my understanding is that you applied the Crisco over the wax? If that is the case, the crisco may have nulled the wax. I have never used Crisco as a parting wax but would assume it dosent work very well. The only thing I can suggest to get them apart is a few heat cycles. It it going to be a huge PITA but try to get the assembled fuse and wing as warm as you can then get it outside to cool rather quickly. My hope is that the wing and your potting mix will have slightly different expansion / contraction rates and this will aid in popping them loose. If not another alretitive is with a rather small nozzle blow about 100 psi into the seam.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:16 AM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mount the engine and fire it up.

Usually a very sharp pop on the underside with the palm of your hand of the wing will knock them loose.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:29 AM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use the rubber handle end of a hammer and tap lightly, using the grip portion of the handle, starting the trailing edge on the bottom,,, be sure to lay a shop towel down first before rapping on the wing.

What is happening to you has happened to me many times and I've always managed to knock the wing off,,, some times it just require a harder rap than others

BV
Old 01-02-2011, 02:22 PM
luv to race

And after you get the wing lose, which I hope you do.. Chalk this up as a lesson and just use 1mm drop clothe material, found at Home Depot. Even Chuck Bridge (my dad) has used the wax method to pot wings, and had trouble. So he uses nothing but drop clothe material.

Good luck sir..

Lastly.. Do what BV said! Lay the plane inverted on a table and tap the wing at the trailing edge, and center where the spar is. Cushion the top of the wing so you don’t dent it on the bench.

RB
Old 01-02-2011, 05:31 PM
daven

I use wax paper taped to the wing. Keep working it, you should be able to get it off.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:10 PM
BenG60

Well, speedracerntrixie you win the cigar! The Crisco may have nulled the wax, but I think the wax was the wrong type to begin with. The wing is now cracked in a few places and the fuse is a total loss. Coffey thinks the wing can be saved, so Randy, tell your pop Coffey has a project for him. Coffey's answer to all this is here's another wing and partly built fuse, try again. And also gave me some wax and pva. The race sceen is pretty new to me, I've had a couple predators, don't really like ARF's that much, not much there to be proud of. I'll start building some of my own to tear up, maybe by then I'll have it down.

I want to thank you guys, and of course you Coffey, for the fast response.

Thanks,
Ben
Old 01-02-2011, 07:44 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 175 Likes on 150 Posts

Your choice in wax was fine. I use Carnuba wax at the composites shop I work at all the time without issue. I have gotten back into racing myself after a 20 year hiatis. When I molded wing fillets on a coulple wood fuses, I applied some mylar packing tape to the wing then used carnuba wax. I applied my mixture of epoxy and micro ballons let it set and the wings came right off. Good luck with the build.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:45 PM
Kevin Matney

First suport the wing from under side so the fuse is off the table. Then take steel bolts in to the wing but have 1/2" out of wing. Then tap on wing bolts till it comes lose.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:26 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

When you're done fooling around with wax and Crisco use PVA (poly vinal alcohol) ie: parting film.
One brand is Partall Film #10
Old 01-02-2011, 09:57 PM
Kevin Matney

Yes Mr. Doe you are very right. 2 Coat of Johnson paste wax and then PVA .
Old 01-03-2011, 03:33 AM
luv to race

Ben,

Sorry to hear about the wing. That sucks! But if you're hanging out with B. Coffey, then you are in good hands. Call my dad before you pot the next wing, he is a very nice guy and will talk with you at length to help ensure this doesn't happen again.

good luck.. Please tell Bruce and Joanne hello for me.

Randy
Old 01-03-2011, 08:03 AM
kommander

Randy, We will see you in Phoenix, Joanne is flying 426. The wing is not that bad, just some de-lamination on the under side in the torque rod area, of course Ben was just sick about it!! Bruce
Old 01-03-2011, 04:22 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Kevin, don't be so formal. You can call me anything, but you don't have to call me Mr Doe. All is good.
Happy New Year. Greg
Old 01-03-2011, 05:48 PM
Kevin Matney

I was brought up to respect my elders!!
Old 01-03-2011, 05:48 PM
PylonDave

I have been using ultrakote backing on the wing with the release side down. It releases great!!

I use criscoe on the bolts.

you guys that use pva, do you coat the bolts with it???
Old 01-03-2011, 06:18 PM
djlyon

It never occurred to me to use anything other than wax paper and a bit of oil on the bolts.

Denis
Old 01-03-2011, 09:35 PM
BenG60

Well,#2 in,progress. This time i put down two coats of tree wax and then used packaging tape over that, along with a couple more coats of tree wax before potting. and of course crisco on the threads. Randy, im sorry i forgot to mention what color that wing was i screwed up on. PINK. so you know who's it was
Old 01-04-2011, 04:48 AM
cbk07
My Feedback: (64)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Glad to hear you are back at it!

Just curious as to why you would not use wax paper or drop cloth? VERY easy, perfect fit of wing to fuse, and the wing literally falls once the bolts are removed. I used to wax and hope it would release until someone told me of the wax paper trick. I will never go back