Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Center of Gravity?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2002, 11:03 PM
divebomba
Banned
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Center of Gravity?

Ok well I got my new scat cat and after about an hour of checks... I decided to take her to the air. PReflight was good and everything checked out. I get down the runway and she takes off nice.... after about 15 ft I notice that she is wont level out and is basically hanging on the prop in a realy nasty looking stall I cant recover and she noses over right into the dirt. So the maiden voyage was not good.
I am thinking the center of gravity was waaaay to far back because as soon as she took off she keeled back and stalled. I did check the COG before flight and thought it was ok. So now 2 bottles of 30 Min Epoxy and about 13 hrs of repair work and shes ready to fly... But this time I need to know where the COG should be so I can avoid another unfortunate landing.

Thanks

DB
Old 04-13-2002, 11:20 PM
Scorpionjack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DB ;
A Q-500 is approx 10" x 50" or wing equaling 500 sq inches. Average balance or a good starting point is 2.5 from the leading edge, then fly it and start adjusting it back to 3.3" You may never get to the 1/3 of the wing as you are going to have to tell when the plane tracks where you put it.

Control surface setup is another thing, Now the Scat Cat need's a little more than my aircraft but I have High rates set to Aileron's are 1/8" and Elevator is 3/16".

The Flightline ScatCat500 orginal CG was 2.5 inches. Rudder had 3/4 inch movement. elevator was 5/16, aileron's have 3/16.
Old 04-13-2002, 11:23 PM
lon53lhc

My Scat Cat balances 2 3/4 inches behind the leading edge. It has several dozen flights on it and I still use it for racing as a back up ship.

Lon
Old 04-13-2002, 11:30 PM
divebomba
Banned
My Feedback: (-1)

Default ...

Thanks a bunch for the input guys. You have proven my suspicions correct... the COG on my plane was approx 4" from the leading edge. I wish you guys coulda seen that "death stall"... Thank god for epoxy and monocote.

DB
Old 04-13-2002, 11:36 PM
Scorpionjack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

4" Not to laugh LOL! But that had to be a quick ride to the ground. As well very intertaining to the spectators. The pilot oh well I can only Imagine the verbal attributes at take-off : ).