Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Laser-cut Scat Cat anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 01:23 PM
GSJames

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laser-cut Scat Cat anyone?

At a recent swap meet, a friend acquired a mint, Flite Line Scat Cat kit. He much prefers low-wing airplanes, just to be different from all the Vipers out there. I have told him that I would be willing to "reverse engineer" the kit, and add some modern features, such as tab-lock construction, multi-ply firewall, Doddger-type landing gear mount, etc. so that he can keep the original kit intact but still have as many as he wants. Since the replica will be modernized with tab lock, etc it won't truly be a Scat Cat anymore, so I thought I'd inquire if anyone else out there would like to have a copy of the laser cutting files. You can send the files to the laser cutter of your choice and have your own kits cut. I will also send the files to Lone Star Balsa to see if Riley Wooten's son might be interested in re-releasing the airplane. I'll probably just post the files on this forum when I get them done.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:28 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Laser-cut Scat Cat anyone?

I always liked the way my Scat Cats flew...way back in 1981. Great racing with all the other Scat Cats and Spickler Quickie 500's running those powerful K&B .40 swinging 9-7 Rev-Ups. Had to be pushing 110 mph, at least back from pylon one when the wind was blowing.

But unless he is racing set-ups from 30 years ago, it might be a good training ship, but little else. Low wing designs lost favor in the mid-90's due to higher drag in the turns. The Doddger was about the last successful low wing design, but even it was old school. About the same time that wing spans grew to the 52" limit and the widest point in the fuselage moved from the thick point of the wing to the trailing edge.

On the other hand, many fliers are not limited by their equipment, either plane or engine. Only more laps will make the difference. If you do the Cat, chop about an inch of length off the nose. The K&B was very light, so they tended to be very nose heavy with most other engines.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:24 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts
Default RE: Laser-cut Scat Cat anyone?

Bob, we were running 9X6 Rev Ups on the K&B's. That was after the whole nonsense of running race issued Zinger 9X6. The rules changed and opened up to sch. engines. I was running the OS .40 FSR abc until Rusty showed up with his Webras. Just last year he finally confessed that he was running the marine crank that had a longer intake duraration. Only took 32 years to get that out of him lol.

As for the Scat Cat, even back in the day we were reducing the dihidral, shortening the nose and taking area off the tail. I built several as shoulder wings and even a V tail back in '80. Ahh the good old days LOL Saw Rusty at a warbird race last weekend actually. Not much of the old gang left.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:09 PM
wardog5

Originally Posted by GSJames
At a recent swap meet, a friend acquired a mint, Flite Line Scat Cat kit. He much prefers low-wing airplanes, just to be different from all the Vipers out there. I have told him that I would be willing to "reverse engineer" the kit, and add some modern features, such as tab-lock construction, multi-ply firewall, Doddger-type landing gear mount, etc. so that he can keep the original kit intact but still have as many as he wants. Since the replica will be modernized with tab lock, etc it won't truly be a Scat Cat anymore, so I thought I'd inquire if anyone else out there would like to have a copy of the laser cutting files. You can send the files to the laser cutter of your choice and have your own kits cut. I will also send the files to Lone Star Balsa to see if Riley Wooten's son might be interested in re-releasing the airplane. I'll probably just post the files on this forum when I get them done.
Did you make the laser cut file .I would like to have a copy . And did talk to Mike Wooten
Old 12-06-2013, 05:00 AM
GSJames

I started to, but lost interest. Perhaps I will get back on it. The biggest problem is the choice of airfoils. I can't match it with anything that I know of. Perhaps Riley used a French Curve airfoil.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:23 PM
wardog5

Default scat cat

Hay just touching base how are you doing on scat cat. Are club is doing club 40 and I going to start Quickie 25 . And I like to use a
scat cat . So when you get it dun pleas let me know email address is [email protected] phone number is (267)431-5574
Old 12-15-2013, 07:26 AM
KEN 31

Originally Posted by wardog5
Hay just touching base how are you doing on scat cat. Are club is doing club 40 and I going to start Quickie 25 . And I like to use a
scat cat . So when you get it dun pleas let me know email address is [email protected] phone number is (267)431-5574
I have a NIB Scat Cat kit here, the news paper packing has the date as 1982. If interested, just sent me a reply. You could use it to make many kits for your club members, also I have the foam wing airfoil template.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:06 AM
GSJames

Originally Posted by wardog5
I sorta lost interest in the project. Actually, I couldn't find an airfoil to match the plans, since it's probable that Riley used a "french curve" airfoil. That would be consistent with the way that a champion CL combat flier would do things. I went through my extensive library of over 2000 different airfoil sections and found one that matches quite closely. It's an un-named airfoil that is 12% thick and it overlays the lines on the plans quite closely. I'll play with it some more and see what I can come up with. There is no sense in drawing the top and bottom pieces since they are 'fallout' from the fuselage formers, so I'll just draw the basic balsa parts and see how it goes from there.

Last edited by GSJames; 12-15-2013 at 10:06 AM. Reason: to add additional information
Old 12-15-2013, 01:48 PM
KEN 31

Originally Posted by GSJames
I sorta lost interest in the project. Actually, I couldn't find an airfoil to match the plans, since it's probable that Riley used a "french curve" airfoil. That would be consistent with the way that a champion CL combat flier would do things. I went through my extensive library of over 2000 different airfoil sections and found one that matches quite closely. It's an un-named airfoil that is 12% thick and it overlays the lines on the plans quite closely. I'll play with it some more and see what I can come up with. There is no sense in drawing the top and bottom pieces since they are 'fallout' from the fuselage formers, so I'll just draw the basic balsa parts and see how it goes from there.
I believe the Revolution and the Scat Cat had the same airfoil.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:17 AM
GSJames

Does ANYONE actually know what airfoil was used for the Scat Cat and the ReVlution? Is is some "known" section or is it a "french curve" airfoil? I am also trying to reverse engineer the ReVlution for some local Q-25'ers. It seems to fly very well at Q-25 speeds.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:35 AM
wardog5

I have two already but how much do you whant for them
Old 12-16-2013, 06:39 AM
wardog5

[QUOTE=KEN 31;11685377]I have a NIB Scat Cat kit here, the news paper packing has the date as 1982. If interested, just sent me a reply. You could use it to make many kits for your club members, also I have the foam wing airfoil template.[/QUOTE. ]I have two already but how much do you whant for them
Old 12-16-2013, 06:46 AM
wardog5

HTML Code:
[QUOTE][/QUOTE]
Originally Posted by KEN 31
I have a NIB Scat Cat kit here, the news paper packing has the date as 1982. If interested, just sent me a reply. You could use it to make many kits for your club members, also I have the foam wing airfoil template.

I have two already but how much do you whant for them
Old 12-19-2013, 07:40 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I have a new, unbuilt early ReVlution kit that uses the Scat Cat airfoil. This is the one that came with the presheeted wing and prebuilt fuselage. I believe later kits had a different airfoil. I'm not sure I want to part with this but could provide any info from it if needed.

Regarding the airfoil, it was a common one used during those years but I don't remember the original source. I'm sure it was a French curve airfoil of some kind as that was common practice at the time. A local racer (MN) used the airfoil from a Falcon 56 with extremely good results back in the early Q500 days. We all thought he had some kind of super secret airfoil until he told us what it was!
Old 12-19-2013, 08:14 AM
Randy Etken
My Feedback: (10)

The R-140 airfoil I designed in 1989 was not the Falcon 56 but a P51 drawn from EEA info with a French curve. Also first with no dihedral. The reason for a new racing airfoil, the Scat Cat I was flying out of a 400ft dive lost the covering on top wing, to much lift. Most people thought I drew the airfoil around my foot. Very good airfoil for slower speeds but the 66-012 I use now is better and faster for greater speed. Also the wing tips make a difference because racing is almost all on knife edge.
Randy Etken
Q500Racing.com
Old 12-19-2013, 11:44 AM
Truckracer

I wasn't referring to your airfoil Randy. I did build one of your very early kits for one of the locals here and I think he raced it at the Grassfield exactly once. It came in a really neat grocery bag!

The guy I was referring to was Doug B!
Old 12-19-2013, 11:49 AM
Randy Etken

Sorry, before my time.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:56 AM
Truckracer

The grocery sack bag kit wasn't before your time! It had some sort of laminar looking airfoil and not a 66-012.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:23 PM
Randy Etken

True for the airfoil and sounds like my kit, but Doug had died 2 years for I started racing.