Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Mid-Wing racer??

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 12:09 PM
diggs_74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mid-Wing racer??

This year will be my first year racing and I expect that the expiration date of my old Doddger is probably not that far away. So, I've started to design my own racer. Has anyone ever tried a mid-wing design? I really don't have any reason for it other than to be a little different. I have a bunch of balsa laying around and have started putting some stuff on paper but that's as far as I've gotten. Are there any issues with this design as far as the rules go. I've gone over the rules for the field I will be racing at and haven't found anything yet that says I can't as long as it fits the width and height requirements. Any thoughts??

Thanks in advance.

Lee
Old 03-11-2004, 12:34 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Mid-Wing racer??

When you place a 1 3/16" thick wing, into a 3 1/2" high fuze, and then subract out 3/32" sheeting on the top and bottom of the fuze, you are left with a pretty tight area in the wing saddle for your radio gear. Not that its impossible, it just makes things more challenging. I believe their have been a few Quickee midwing designs, but I'm not aware of any Midwing available right now other than the Patriot.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:45 PM
diggs_74

I thought of that but this doddger comes out so nose heavy that I figure I would design the new one to move as much of the radio equipment behind the wing as will fit. Also, I thought about shortening the nose of the plane a little. Like I said it's not really even on paper that much yet. I'm out of town for work next week so it will give me something to do in the hotel.

Lee
Old 03-11-2004, 01:56 PM
DMyer
My Feedback: (2)

IMHO I see no competitive advantage for a mid winger unless you just like the way it looks(I am a sucker for T-tails).... it is:

a) harder to build
b) Less room to put stuff like radio, battery and fuel tank
c) More drag due to another set of 90 degree angles

My advice would be to get one of the competitve kits that are available... the guys from the pylon racing community have been designing these things for over 30 years.... I would use that accumulated body of work as a starting point rather than try to re-invent. There is a good reason 95% of the q-500's are a high wing V-tail using similar airfoil(s). Currently small incremental speed gains are coming by optimizing airfoil and construction techniques to build stronger/lighter/cleaner airframes and wings.

I/most people have no problem copying others successful designs(as long as they don't mind) into our own home growns. There are some darn good designs out there right now! New templates are created every race! I personally enjoy building my own woodies, no matter how long it takes me, as I refuse to phony up $450 for a composite. Good luck and good building!

Dan
Old 03-11-2004, 02:41 PM
diggs_74

Dan,

You make a good point. The problem is now I have to try to squeez a $100 out of the warden(wife) -- I hope she doesn't feel the need to check out this forum on her day off[] Anyway, I have always loved the building part of this hobbie and have never built an ARF and have flown a couple of my own designs with pretty good success for somebody who just soloed in May of '03.
As far as kits go I was looking at the Racer II is that any good? It looks pretty clean.

Thanks for the info.

Lee
Old 03-11-2004, 02:59 PM
Ed Smith

Advantages:- Cannot think of any.

Disadvantages:- If it is a two piece airplane that is a hefty chunk of fuselage that comes off with the wing

There will be no room on top or the bottom of the wing for radio gear.If the radio gear is moved back an access
hatch is needed. Now there are two holes in the fuselage. The stiffness is beginning to go. Most fuel tanks protrude
back into the wing saddle, it will hit the wing. Too much work for no gain.

Do not even think of a one piece airplane. The tank has to be built in and there is very difficult access to the rest of the stuff. Storage and transportation is a real chore. Break a wing and the whole airplane is screwed.

I build my own racers. They are high wing vee tails with a one piece detachable tail. I can get to everything, no hatches to build or come loose. I can move the tank and radio around as much as I like to get the balance I want. Transportation and storage is easy.

Do yourself a favour and make life easy. Forget the midwing and follow the herd!

Ed S
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73863.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	110353   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi21716.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	110354  
Old 03-11-2004, 03:18 PM
diggs_74

Well Ed, I do live in WI so I've followed a few herds in my day You make good points regarding the rigidity of the airframe.

Thanks.

Lee
Old 03-11-2004, 04:45 PM
daven

Lee,

If you have a cad program that can read a .dxf file, I'd be happy to send you my plans for the Seeker.

Dave
Old 03-11-2004, 05:00 PM
diggs_74

Dave,

I have ProE here at work or Generic Cadd. What size paper is it scaled to? I have downloaded other plans but they never seem to tell me the paper size to get the scale right. I should proceed that with the fact that I'm not an aeronautical engineer

Lee
Old 03-11-2004, 05:40 PM
daven

I can layer the plans so that all the dimensions are listed on the plans. Just blow it up until the size on the plans match the actual size?

Otherwise, you can pick up the wood for a fuze kit from me at the first race.
Old 03-11-2004, 05:43 PM
David Hill

Hello,
All of the negative points on here are true, but if you like a midwind Q-500, see if you can find a Wild Thing 40 kit. It would be easy to make into a legal Q-500. Also another great Q-500 midwing was the old Yellow Jacket and another one was the Miss Virginny, but don't remember who kitted either one.

David
Old 03-12-2004, 10:02 AM
DMyer

The Miss Virginia Q was built by Bill Hinnet and was usually flown by John Albritton. It was never a kit. It had plug in wings and a degreee of complexity you don't want to even think about. It was competitive back in the days we were still flying Scat Cats but would not be at all today. Go get one of Dave Normans Seeker Kits(my vote) or plans or a Racer II. They are fine examples of what works well today. That'll put ya on the right road quick for 428. If you are going to race 424... I might suggest the Great Planes Viper or Lanier Predator ARFs while you learn how to race(a slightly lower pucker facter).
Old 03-12-2004, 10:57 AM
diggs_74

Thanks for all the input everyone. As a someone new to racing it's been a big help. I just received a set of Seeker plans from Dave Norman and will be collecting the nessacary materials shortly.... I just hope the Doddger holds out until I get it done

Thanks again.

Lee
Old 03-15-2004, 09:17 AM
Stand

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has been discussed before. There is less drag created by a high wing configuration than a low or mid wing configuration:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...tm.htm#1174366
and
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_13...tm.htm#1347142

All that being said, it probably doesn't matter unless you have thumbs like Randy B. or Gary S.

Stan