Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Landing Gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 10:08 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Landing Gear

Does anyone have a source for custom sized landing gear?

I would like to have a set bent up for my seeker. None of the commercially available gear (that I am aware of) fit it well. The Great Planes Dural L-1 gear are close, but I would like the fit to be perfect.

I would just like to email a picture or drawing with the dimensions.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:41 AM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

Default RE: Landing Gear

http://www.tntlandinggear.com
Old 04-19-2004, 10:49 AM
daven

Thanks Trent.

They got a nice custom sheet, that you fill in the boxes with the dimensions, and fax it off for a quote.

I think I am going to go with the arch shape similar to Lewis's Carbon Fiber Gear for a different Look....
Old 04-19-2004, 10:54 AM
daven

Well after looking at the pricing on what there normal gear is, I'm not sure TNT will be the answer. The Great Planes L-1 gear is close for about $9, I was thinking somewhere in that price range.

Here is a picture similar (wrong dimensions, but close) of what I'm thinking about. TNT is getting $20 for a set of this, which is too much (IMO).

Any other ideas out there??
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55156.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	123995  
Old 04-19-2004, 11:01 AM
pdxpaul

Try the Prather Heavy Duty. Smaller than the GP L1, but legal. Tough to find. Your local shop may be able to order it for you. Paul
Old 04-19-2004, 11:45 AM
DHG
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave,

Greg Edmunds at Edmunds Engineering made me some very nice custom gears for the Stinger. I got 10 sets at $10 each. That was a while back, so maybe his prices have gone up since then, but he did very nice work for me. I don't have his email or Web address handy, but I can dig it up in my stuff if necessary. You should be able to track him down pretty fast using Google.

Duane
Old 04-19-2004, 09:17 PM
Teachu2

Ask for a quote on multiples - you need a bunch for Seeker kits, right?
Old 04-19-2004, 09:39 PM
daven

I've sold about 20 kits so far, and now that the design is near finished, I think I would like to get some custom gear for it. Just about any Q500 gear will fit on the Seeker, but it would be nice to get a set that fits perfect. Most of the gear out there are a little bit bigger, wider, and heavier than what is required by the rules (and design).

I'm guessing I would order about 20 sets to start with, and go from there. I really wasn't planning on selling custom gear with the kit, but if there is a need I will go that route.

I'll send out the quote sheet in the morning and see what they say. I have a couple others looking at it, and would be nice if I could get these for under $10.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:02 PM
Teachu2

http://www.darrolcady.com/Accessories/accessories.htm ?
Old 04-20-2004, 09:47 AM
daven

Those are very similar to the GP L-1 Gear.

They would work on my plane, but the fit would not be perfect side to side, and the width of 7 5/8" is wider than the required 7".

I appreciate your help Trent. I hadn't been to Darrols site in a bit, and I see he has added some new products.

Thanks,
Old 04-20-2004, 12:42 PM
Randy Etken
My Feedback: (10)

Dave
I get my landing gear for the R 200 from National Balsa. They do not list it on their web site,
but you can buy it #20lg 20 size landing gear for $3.85. They also have excellent balsa pricing and service.

WWW.nationalbalsa.com
Old 04-20-2004, 01:03 PM
garys

Dave,
I personally wouldn't want a 7" wide gear. A wider gear would be more stable and less likely to lift a wing on takeoff if there was a crosswind. While not a Q500, If you look at the Proudbird Jim Allen and I have, the gear is almost 12" wide, much wider than any other Q40's we know of. Niether one of us have flown a plane that is more stable on takeoff no matter where the wind is coming from.
GS
Old 04-20-2004, 01:54 PM
daven

Gary,

I have been running Some of Lewis's 7 1/4" wide Carbon Fiber gear on my plane, and I honestly can't tell a difference on takeoff between it and the more standard 8+" gear and I have got many flights on it this spring in some pretty heavy wind.

My plane takes off nearly identical to a Vortex, and I don't think that I have ever flown a more stable plane on takeoff than that.

Randy,

I'll check your gear out on Saturday.

Thanks for the link, thats a good price.