Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

"The Big One!"

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2002, 01:26 PM
splatt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "The Big One!"

If you weren’t there you missed the event of the year for Grassfield. The “Big One” was a huge success with twenty-five contestants flying in two classes provided excellent racing on Saturday. The event pulled people from several clubs around the twin city area. A lot of old time racers came out of the woodwork and showed up ready to rumble.

The event was the NCPL version of 424 /426 quickie racing with OS 46fx engines only. These engines running with an 8.8x8.5 or a 9.5x7.5 APC prop provide the motivation to get the juices flowing.

My juices were motivating just fine in the first round as I was showing the world who was the boss. Then the pylon gods reached out and pulled half the covering off of my Predator wing and had to chop the motor and pull out. Ya know, a model doesn’t fly well with it covering flapping in the breeze. So I’m stirring the sticks trying to get a handle on my dead sticked, stalled, flopping covering Predator watching it go downwind and basically wrote it off as I pushed full down in it before it left the grounds, another splatt. Fun huh? My last sight of it was watching it go straight down from 25 feet into the July soybeans. My partner and a helper went to gather the wreckage as I scurried for another prop for my backup. 15 minutes later my partner returned with my Predator in one piece. I could not believe my eyes, there it was, one f ‘in piece! A little dirt on the motor, not even a broken prop! Wow, free plane! Got the packing tape out and fixed the covering and got right back in the fray. Needless to say without scoring points at the start I was never a contender, but my Predator is now predisastered and has the pylon gods on its side. This will be a potent weapon in the future.

Many thanks to all the people who put in maximum effort to make this event a success. It was a real team effort to make this event work. The party afterward was killer. Between the steak and corn and the rock, I went home very happy.

Maybe Daven can provide some insight as to the finishing order, see ya all later…
Old 07-29-2002, 01:49 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finishing Order

Expert Class:

1st Place Jerry Bednark

2nd Still needs be flown off (race called due to rain).

3 way tie between Dave Norman,Dick Steine and Randy Etken

Standard Class:

1st Place Matt (Sorry, can't remember his last name)

2nd Tim Pettman

3rd Tie between Max Kern and Brian Vacca