Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Checklist for the NATS

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 02:50 PM
diggs_74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checklist for the NATS

I know it's a little early to be talking about the NATS but I was wondering what I need....What if any is the frequency rules? How many planes to build? Hotel or camp? There isn't much info on the AMA site yet... Just trying to get a head start....

If there's anything in particular I need that can go on the X-mas list like a Vortex or Neme-Q+.....
Old 12-10-2004, 03:06 PM
aseaholm
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Checklist for the NATS

Lee,

This was posted on the combat web site earlier this week.

According to the RC Combat liaison with the AMA, the schedule has recently changed. Both Combat and Pylon will be flown the week of July 11th.

It looks like slim pickings for pylon freqs. I need to get a new frequency as the 2 crystal sets I have are for the combat list 47 & 51… Maybe I’ll just roll the dice between 46, 49, or 52
Old 12-10-2004, 03:17 PM
diggs_74

Thanks AJ,

I have some 52 Rx crystals from my buddy who recently sold out.... I guess I'll have to get a module for my 9C.... X-mas list item #1
Old 12-10-2004, 03:18 PM
daven

A.J.

There are only a few people that fly on 46 (Myself, Jerry, and maybe one other). If there is a freq you want, I suggest getting your application in EARLY and you should be ok.

Heck, if you got yourself on 46 you wouldn't have to worry about following me around the course
Old 12-10-2004, 03:32 PM
daven

As to a checklist, I don't have one, but Jerry B. does.

I just try to remember the planes, transmitters, sunglasses, and Knob Creek. Everything else you can buy from Darrol when you get there. Except maybe a fresh set of drawers.

They have a washroom and showers at the field, but lasting a week in a tent doesn't sound good to me. Its a big muggy.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:40 PM
diggs_74

Hotel/motel it is..... AC and a shower and I can make it a week easy.... I had better get a reservation now I guess. What are some towns that are close??
Old 12-10-2004, 04:18 PM
daven

Muncie is actually a pretty big city, the field is on the South East corner of town, I'd suggest finding a hotel on that side of town.

Last year, a few of us went in on a tent, which really worked out nice. I think it was about $300 for a 10x20 tent which we split up about 6 ways. Makes it real nice to stay out of the sun. I think we may split a golf cart this year. I have the sources for both, but your welcome to pit with the Minnesota crew.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:33 PM
diggs_74

That would be great, if you guys didn't mind a Wisconsinite hanging around.... I would pitch in whatever to help out.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:47 PM
colesifer3d314
My Feedback: (9)

im planning on going to the NATS this year as well...Myself, Tony, and Tanner Pacini r all planning on driving down there...to many airplanes to ship..haha, we r going to load the trailer with about 16 (roughly)...but we r going to a hotel...i cant wait to go, should be alot of fun!!

Cole
Old 12-16-2004, 10:12 AM
splatt

I couldn’t sleep last night and trying to think of things to get my mind off things I was thinking about the NATs. Wish I could go, but I’m going on a trip Ireland next summer.

I’d recommend the NATs as a must do. I ‘ve done it with an RV and the experance was awesome. The Muncie field has a huge gravel parking lot with 40 electrical hook ups and a dump station near by. There a nice shower house and bathrooms to clean up after a hard day racing, jump in the RV, fire up the AC, and rest up for the next day. Get up at 5:00AM then practice at dawn. Better do it than because once everyone gets up there will be a long line. Once racing starts there’s no other flying allowed. If you show up a day or two early the poles might be set up for practice.

The night I showed up in ’03 there was a big thunderstorm that rolled through. The next night someone had left his pick–up camper on stilts and was blown over by that nights storm. There is a tent camping site that looks nice. Not sure if I’d tent camp in Muncie in July. I was listening to the local weather one day and the airport had set a low for that date for barometric pressure. Not the best model airplane weather in July there too.
Hotter than hot, somebody doing control pasted away while I was there due to heat and another had a heart attack. There was onsite paramedics there too if I remember right.

Be sure your comfortable flying over people because the path on and off the course is at the entrance of pylon 2. The CD will tell you to start walking out on lap 8 of the preceeding heat so you will get a good view of the last lap. No foolin’ around fly 10 laps and land, on the pavement hopefully.

Your going to see 5 days of great racing action. I saw couple different things I’d never seen before and meet new people.

Make sure you have good equipment and prepare to see and race against the best.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:20 AM
diggs_74

I can't wait.... I still think I'm going to get a hotel room though... I don't camp, not even in an RV.... Just never really got into it.

When are the registration forms going to be ready?... On the AMA site they say coming soon. It's said that for a month or better.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:13 AM
splatt

PM me your address and I'll give you mine. They showed up a week or two ago
Old 12-16-2004, 11:14 AM
diggs_74

Ok...
Old 12-17-2004, 01:13 PM
StregaFlyer

Diggs,

Airplane gear, sun tan lotion, a hat, sun glasses.. And most important for the whole week.. COLDIES FOR AFTER THE DAY OF RACING.. Don't forget your swimming trunks as well..
Old 12-17-2004, 02:54 PM
diggs_74

Trust me, nobody wants to see me in a swim suite.... All I have is a speedo
Old 12-17-2004, 03:01 PM
aseaholm

Add me to the "nobody wants to see" list on the Speedo thing...
Old 12-17-2004, 03:43 PM
diggs_74

Maybe I could race in them and the horrible sight would cause everyone else to cut out....
Old 12-17-2004, 04:45 PM
DHG
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gives a whole new meaning to the term "pinch up" ...

[X(]