Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

O.S. .46 AX Shims

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 07:34 AM
Ed Smith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: O.S. .46 AX Shims

balanced and "blueprinted", that's when people are blowing smoke... Since you have to add/remove material to balance an engine it is no longer at the measurements it was at when new.

Lee,

By your own definition swapping parts could be illegal. If you purchase an engine and swap parts that are slightly different then material has been removed or added from the original purchased engine.

I certainly agree with Gary. The addition of any after market part that is not available from the manufacturer is Illegal.

I was never a computer geek either. I can remember actually working from "Blue Prints" I do not mean white sheets of paper with blue lines either. I mean big blue sheets of paper with white lines. So I am dating myself. Who cares?

Ed S
Old 01-08-2005, 10:03 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

We do not sanction our races, and have our own set of rules which can be found at :

www.ncplracing.org

Our rules spec that aftermarket "Gaskets" and "Bearings" can be used from ANY source. Considering the rules add the "S" on the end of Gasket, myself and others interpret that as both head and sleeve. There has been plenty of precedence of this in the past, so I'm not aware of it being an issue. Trying to police gaskets would be impossible without taking the head off, so it would be my preference to leave the rule the way it has been interpreted in the past.

Considering we draw some of the highest body count local level racer in the Country, we must be doing something right.

Its not so much that I like pushing the envelope, I just like trying new things. 99% of the time I put the ideas I'm trying up here on RCU, so I'm not hiding too many secrets.

I was kinda a jerk about props for the AX during the year, but that was only because Jerry and I spent a considerable amount of time working with the different props for the AX (which needs completely different props than the FX for speed) and didn't want to share that to those too lazy to spend the time. Even then, it didn't really matter as Chuck and Randy smoked us all year with the same old FX props.
Old 01-08-2005, 10:32 AM
splatt

Excellent answer Dave, it's all in a day.... Good luck to everyone going to Winterfest, stay dry
Old 01-08-2005, 10:57 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

If "Stock" engines are an issue and we don't want to police the issue by inspection, we might want to consider some kind of claim rule. For example, if the AX is the engine of choice, we could have a claim rule where any racer could claim any other racer's engine by simply handing them a new in box 46 AX in exchange for the old "suspect" one. The exchange would probably take place after a day's racing is complete and under the CD's supervision. Of course, the original owner would keep his motor mount and other accessories unique to his airplane.

Now I really don't like claim rules and avoid "full scale" car (or truck) racing classes that have them. Claim rules can serve a useful purpose to keep certain people honest while requiring very little work from the race managemant. A person would probably be less likely to custom assemble a special engine for the class when it can be taken away after any race.

I've always enjoyed doing motor work but I also know the importance of keeping a "stock engine" really "stock"! We want to keep new blood coming into the sport and we also want to keep the oldtimers around. These people must have the perception that their stock engines can be competitive and that at the end of the day, the winners won because of flying skills (and of course the always present racer's luck) and not because they just happened to have the time and skill to assemble that one very special engine from the parts or 3 or 4 others!

I hope this sort of thing can be considered at the NCPL meeting today.

Roger S.
Old 01-08-2005, 11:44 AM
daven

We have had individaul claiming races in the past, but it seemed like the best engines stayed in drawers at home drenched in oil. My only issue with making a claiming rule, is that somepeople put in a lot of time and effort breaking in an engine properly. I don't think its fair for someone to put in that time which produces a competitive engine, and then have someone to lazy to take the time take your engine and have to start over. Two years ago at the beginning of the season, I made the offer that anyone could buy any one of my FX engines for $125 (Basically the cost to replace it). No one took me up on the offer.

I would like to see the top 3 finishers at EVERY race have their engine torn down, and their airframe inspected for legailty after the contest. WE have become to complacent with aircraft inspection. I think this would go a long way in shoring up the perception that the guys that win are "dicking" with the planes or engines.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:37 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Dave,

Remember, I said I really don't like "claim" rules. Just a suggestion to get to that "perception" that the other guy isn't somehow cheating. Anybody that has ever raced anything (from cockroaches to rocket sleds) knows that winners will always be the winners. As you point out so well, it is a matter of preparation and dedication to the sport.

Now with that out of the way, I'd sure like to get some of those shims. Sure easier than cutting them by hand. If you have any available after the meeting, I'd sure like to have a couple of each.

Roger
Old 01-08-2005, 03:27 PM
Ed Smith

I would like to see the top 3 finishers at EVERY race have their engine torn down, and their airframe inspected for legailty after the contest.
As you know I am in favour of strict adherence to the rule book. I do not cheat in any way. However, after reading the display of engine knowledge on some of these forums there are not too many people I would want to let loose with an allen key on any of my engines! I would want some assurance that they know which direction to turn screws (Or bolts as they are incorrectly called) and there is some ability to do simple geometric calculations.

Ed S
Old 01-08-2005, 07:27 PM
splatt

errr... . . . righty , tighty .... .. . lefty , loosy............ up-zee-down-see , unturn-zee- round- zee. And for you Ed a nice sized Ford wrench for final measurement
Old 01-08-2005, 07:40 PM
daven

Roger, I have some left, not too many people seemed very interested. Just glad we got out of the meeting without any significant changes.

Really the only changes were a clarification of the two flag rule, the allowance of sport props in our NCPL races, and changing our season title back to where it should be (although you can now drop 1 race).

We will have another champ race fly off, but will maintain the season title winner seperately.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:22 PM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AJ, check your "PM" box

BV
Old 01-08-2005, 09:52 PM
Ed Smith

errr... . . . righty , tighty .... .. . lefty , loosy............ up-zee-down-see , unturn-zee- round- zee. And for you Ed a nice sized Ford wrench for final measurement

Beautifully stated, that's exactly what I meant about engine knowledge, or lack thereof!

Ed s
Old 01-08-2005, 10:30 PM
splatt

Yes today was a good day, there was an excellent meal, good discussion, and I got my first R200 from Randy E.

He constructed the wing with a pre-painted mylar sheet / vacuum bagging thing-ie type concept over white foam.The wing weights 15.5 oz. without servo and appears flat. Nice looking fiberglass fuse, done to exacting specs. All internal linkage. I ask the pylon gods to be nice.

There was some casualties in the bench racing division. I believe maybe my partner drove this one in, can't remember
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22644.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	212444  
Old 01-08-2005, 11:10 PM
kenthaas1

yes i did but i missed the target wow lots of carnige not one was mine lol
tack good care of my pitchers i will get cost of making more tomrror have fun flying sunday bud
Old 01-17-2005, 02:37 PM
ChuckE

Interesting issue on tearing down the top three. I offered mine up for a tear down once last year but the CD is usually very busy wrapping up the race and zeroing in on the Rock.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:12 PM
phzuidema

Dave:

I just saw this, so can you bring some to the next Grassfield meeting?

Thanks,

Phil
Old 01-17-2005, 04:19 PM
splatt

Mr Zoo-dema, Welcome to RCU. What a wonderful way to spent a work day
Old 01-17-2005, 09:58 PM
daven

Phil, I don't have many left.

I'll bring what I have to the next meeting.