Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

First Composite??

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 10:05 AM
diggs_74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Composite??

Well, the time has come for me to finally investigate getting my first all composite quickie... I figured that I would ask all you in the "know" what your preferences are. I plan on having this for Winterfest next January so delivery is somewhat important...However, I would not be against a good used one either if there are any available. This has probably been covered in this post before but I am honestly too lazy to go searching for it

Thanks.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:00 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: First Composite??

You don't have a lot of choices Lee. This is really what your looking at:

Bird of Prey - Much improved with the new wing Lyle has been using. Comes out a little heavier than the Neme or Vortex, but is also quite a bit cheaper. You will need to mount the tail and paint the fuse and wing.

Shotgun - I'm not real familiar with this one, but they are one of the cheaper ones available and come pre-painted (one color). Quite a few flying on the West Coast and Colorado. John Williams had some good times with one at the Winterfest, so they definately have the speed to compete.

Neme-Q Plus - Terrence does a great job, lead times are long, and they are competitive with anything out there. They are also a little more expensive than the two above.

Vortex - Probably the best available in my opinion in terms of stability in the air. As far as I know, the list has been closed off and future production is uncertain at this point.

V-Max - The Limes have bought the molds from Tim L. and will hopefully soon be turning out these planes again. A very good flying, competitive plane.

My suggestion for a first composite quickee would be either the Shotgun or the BOP to keep costs down. You may want to get a hold of the Limes to find out when the V-max will be available.

You don't want a racer that you are afraid to crash
Old 03-23-2005, 11:06 AM
diggs_74

Crash?? What's that The list isn't long... I thought I was missing some but I guess not. I have to say I was impressed with AJ's BOP last year. Did Lyle make changes since then or was that the latest design? I don't mind painting but I would prefer not to if I can get away with it.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:05 PM
daven

A.J.'s has the new wing. Its basically the same wing used on the Vortex, but without washout. I'm suprised more people aren't flying them.

I may be missing something, but thats all I am aware of that are "known" competitive.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:51 PM
diggs_74

Well, for the price of a finished Neme-Q I could get a couple of unfinished BOP or Shotguns... Well, ok, not quite but close. Maybe I'll have to give ol' Lyle a call and see what he needs for a couple.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:26 PM
splatt

those first composites will break your heart everytime. But it gets easier with time
Old 03-23-2005, 02:21 PM
diggs_74

It's nothing I can't get over with a couple beers I was told in the beginning not to get too attached, so I don't.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:39 PM
aseaholm

Lee,

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with the BOP. I’m pretty biased though. Especially after all those Bird of Weigh comments from your buddy Norman. I can’t wait to stick it to him with one this year… [X(]

If you decide to go that route, I’ll make you up a tail incidence measuring tool and send it up your way. I, of course, will expect Wisconsin’s finest lager to be awaiting me in Elk River for the trouble…

Lyle’s Shop:
605-787-6340

Where’s that image showing the Bird of Prey’s vast superiority over other MN Q500’s? I know it’s around here somewhere…

“The hardest thing about buying your first composite is writing the check.â€
Old 03-23-2005, 03:57 PM
daven

Yeah, where did that Doctored photo go
Old 03-23-2005, 04:27 PM
diggs_74

That would be great AJ.... I'll see about getting you some Liney's for the trouble. You may have to send directions, that looks like a pretty complicated device for us simple Wisconsinites...

The more I think about it I the the Bird of Weigh is the way I will go. I guess I'll have to get a new Nelson to put on it too... This damn racing is going to break me yet.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:58 PM
aseaholm

Dave, I prefer "digitally enhanced to reflect eye witness accounts".

Lee, sounds good.

How's this, "BOP, Align Back Cheese Head".

http://www.teamseaholm.com/rcpylon/birdOfPrey.htm
Old 03-23-2005, 05:03 PM
diggs_74

It may end up a BOP Lambeau special edition... I know how you love my GB Packer color schemes
Old 03-23-2005, 06:25 PM
daven

What a waste of the color green
Old 03-23-2005, 08:54 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Lee,

I have a ShotGun here in Des Moines. I have not had a chance to bring it to any of the Minnesota 428 races yet but just flying it around, it flies very well. Not sure how competitive it will be with my very rusty thumbs and older Nelson though. We'll see in a few months. It builds (assembles) very quickly and the overall quality is very good. My only complaint is the location of the landing gear on the fuselage in a very rearward location for flying off of grass. I'm using an old Dodger gear turned around with the swept section forward. I'd be very cautious about flying it off of grass with a normal gear. I'd buy another one I guess.

Roger S.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:31 PM
diggs_74

Thanks for the input Roger... You going to make it up for any of our 428 races this year? I was born in Des Moines... My dad worked at Des Moines Fly (mechanic) until about 1979... Anyway, bring up that Shotgun this summer.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:39 PM
colesifer3d314
My Feedback: (9)

i have a ShotGun, and Neme-Qs...my personal opinion is that u will not be able to get a finer airframe than the Neme-Q+from Terrence...great builder and awesome products that fly AWESOME every time...i even have 2 more on order now!! i will be testing with my new ShotGun and will be able to compare the 2...ill post up when i find out

Cole
Old 03-24-2005, 01:40 PM
John Z Williams Jr

Geeze, I did not think I would have to push on this one, but it seems you have been directed or turned in a direction that may not be the best way to go.... If you like to paint, then sure spend more money and do more work for a plane that is about the same or spend less money and have a plane that is painted in the mould... This means less work, less time, less money for a plane that is competitive with any out there... That is the Shotgun... I have set a new course record with it and it has gone 1:06 in Phoenix with Lee Ulinger flying it and people on all the poles... I went 1:08 with it in Phoenix last Winterfest.... Fast time of the contest was a 1:07 by Fred B. The Shotguns are lighter too... My plane is a half ounce under weight... The fuse design is beter for drag, in my opinion, and it is extremely stable in the air... The conventional tail is easy to line up and get straight with the wing... Only one servo is required...
The Shotgun held top 3 spots in last years Medford race... In Pheonix Winterfest it held 4 of the top ten finishes!!!
That is more than the others mentioned...
Dave Hill went a 1:07 with it his first time out... Set fast time with it...

Shotgun is lighter....
Shotgun takes less work to get ready...
Shotgun is easier to set the tail up in...
Shotgun is painted in the mould and for no extra or maybe 15.00 bucks two colors are available...
Shotgun wing is already set in the fuse and drilled and tapped...
Shotgun tail mounting hole is already set and with some light sanding, tail slides right in for perfect alignment...
Shotgun uses a glass balsa wood glass sandwhich method that makes an extremely strong fuse for strong motor runs...

Shotgun cost less money, takes less time and effort to get ready, No painting is required with the Shotgun, it has stronger fuse with sandwhich method that give stronger engine runs, in my opinion, has a more aerodynamic designed fuse, in my opinon and is one of the most stable planes out there... I asked Mike Tallman what he thought of it and he said "it flys like a quarter" I now know what he means... The Shogun flys just like a quarter midget, that is smooth and easy... Goes right where you want it to and takes off the same... A little rudder and up elevator and its on its way...

In my opinion, this is a no brainer.... Shotgun vs BOP.... Shotgun wins every time....

Now the Neme-Q and Vortex, that is another story... I have heard the Neme-Q is one of the best flying models to date... They say it may not be the fastest, but boy do they fly well... That big V-tail cannot hurt...
So if money is no object.... The Neme-Q is a fine choice..... If its a birdo vs a Shotgun... Well....

JZW
Old 03-24-2005, 02:05 PM
luv to race

No more picking on the "shotgun" Cole... JW is going to have a brain meltdown....

I personally think that all the composite quickees are fairly equal. It all comes down to, how much you wish to spend, how long you want to wait on a list, and who is selling them (one may not like the salesman)... I'm sure they all have similar flight characteristics. Cole is right about one thing though...that NemeQ does fly freakn' awesome. I give Terrance an "ata-boy"....

Smoke
Old 03-24-2005, 02:18 PM
daven

Jay Z Baby,

Not sure who turned or directed him in any way. Looks like a few of us put up some comments and he made his own choice.

Looks like your a little biased on the subject though
Old 03-24-2005, 02:35 PM
diggs_74

John,

Are you in Sales Hell of a pitch that's for sure... Maybe I'll get one of each. If I look at it just from a $$ standpoint, I would say you make very valid points. I know someone who has one(shotgun) locally, maybe I can talk him out of it, or maybe just rent it for a round
Old 03-24-2005, 03:11 PM
John Z Williams Jr

You guys are sharp... I am a little biased myself... What I did see was that even though the Shotgun was mentioned, no one had flown one enough to give any real experienced advise... I thought I would tell what I had experienced and what I new from flying them... I am definetely biased away from the Bird o at the moment... You guys see right through me...
I just thought, say everything else is equal, why would you want to pay more for a plane you have to do more work on???
S is painted, bop is not... Even though I feel there are other advantages to the Shotgun, this alone would be enough for me to buy the Shotgun.. Less money and less time and less equipment required to complete...

All in all, I feel any one of these 4 planes listed could win in the right hands... They are all very close and I have seen all of them win in different races in different parts of the country... If you happen to like one of the suppliers more than the others, then that may be the reason to go one way and not the other...

Like I said, the Neme-Q has the reputation of being the best flying model out... It cost a little more and there is a wait time, but if this is the plane you like and want, its worth the wait... The Vortex is clearly fast fast fast, but to be able to get one is quite an accomplishment at the present time... I have heard the Vortex flys like a qm, perfect, stable, fast, on rails...

I think Randy or Travis or any of the other great racers could take a Revlution, Force, Neme-Q, Shotgun, Bird o weigh and win with them... The motor has a little to do with this, but mostly its the pilot... I have heard many times people say Chip Hyde could win with the slowest plane and apparnetly he did just that on more than one occasion...

Diggs, any one of the planes listed will be fast, fly well and save time in building.... I guess it all depends on what you want and what price you want to pay... The cheapest is the Shotgun, next is the Bird o, then the Neme....
They all look about the same once they are crashed... You cannot go wrong with any of them in my opinion...

Sorry to get so worked up guys... Let me go fly my foamy and settle down...

Mr. Shotgun, sales and service on request,
JZW
Old 03-24-2005, 03:33 PM
diggs_74

The biggest problem I have is spending that much money (any of the listed planes) without getting my thumbs on one.. It's almost like a leap of faith... I would hate to spend the money to find out I didn't like how it flies for whatever reason.. And of course this is compounded by the fact that because of the cost no one in their right mind would let you take one for a spin around the poles, nor would I feel comfortable doing so. I have flown a lot of planes that weren't mine and luckily haven't had any issues, however, none of them flew 160+ mph either.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:45 PM
airbornrc

I was recently in this same position. Having the manufacturer less than an hour away was a big factor in my decision, but thought some of you had probably not heard of another option. The Taipan is a tee-tail version of the Shotgun. Bruce just came out with it. The horizontal bolts on so the plane will fit in a small box for travel. I have been told that there may be a two piece wing option in the future so the travel box would be very small.
I picked up my plane Sunday afternoon. It came fully painted with my numbers in the paint. It took 2 1/2 hours from the time that I got home till it was ready to go fly. You have to drill and tap the tail bolt holes and drill the motor mount holes. Mount the landing gear. Install your radio gear and make pushrods, and it is done.

Mark
Old 03-24-2005, 03:52 PM
diggs_74

Hmmmm.. A T-tail would be cool... I've always liked the look of a t-tail. Are there any pics available? How does it fly?
Old 03-24-2005, 04:59 PM
airbornrc

Go to www.bigbruceracing.com in the photo section scroll over several pictures and you will see Bruce's red/yellow taipan. Early reports are very good. I will probably fly mine in a couple of weeks when my schedule allows, but I am too new to this to give a qualified report.

Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.