Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

TO WINDY TO RACE?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 08:43 AM
ALbert.S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TO WINDY TO RACE?????

Last saturday we had our first Q500 NCPL 46 race. To say it was windy is an understatement. The pylons were blowing over the start timer clock was down most of the time blown over We lost about 10 airplanes to takeoff midairs and other wind related crashes. But the diehards would not call the race. I quit after losing one plane to a takeoff midair,soon there were one plane heats Boy is that fun!!!!! So at what wind speed should a race be not started or called???? I know the AMA says something around 35-40 but that I think is way to high. When does it become stupid and maybe some safty issues come in to play???? We don't race in the rain it seems to me that a number could be set on wind conditions where a race would be stopped.or ,not started.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:43 AM
diggs_74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: TO WINDY TO RACE?????

Al, if I recall correctly there was only one single plane heat, and yes, there were a couple 2 planes heats late in the day. Regarding the wind and the amount of dead planes at the end of the day... I recall last years opener and it was a beautiful day and I think there were more than a few planes that went in that day too.. If someone doesn't feel comfortable with the flying conditions then maybe they shouldn't race. I won't lie to you and say the wind didn't concern me a little but I took a test flight and yes it was pretty bumpy but I felt I could handle it so I did.. I know there was a least one racer who decided against it and that's his decision to make. The CD for the day took a pole during lunch and for the most part the people he talked to wanted to continue so we did. I'm sure he talked to you since you also since you call for each other.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:43 PM
Stikum

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

CDs shouldn't have to call a race because of wind. If contestants don't want to fly in it, they can sit it out. It's far better to leave the decision NOT to fly to the individual pilots than to tell everyone they CAN"T because some (or even most) don't want to. If ALL the contestants don't want to participate, then the CD doesn't have to call the race - it's over!

When I used to run pylon races, the closest we got to calling a race for wind was when we reflew a heat because of a dust devil (whirlwind).
Old 04-26-2005, 03:00 PM
Ed Smith

How much wind is too much is a different discussion. Racing in high wind or rain is dangerous. There is always some macho idiot who will fly in anything, usually with the comment "A little bit of win/rain is no harm". This moron has no consideration for others. He has obviously never flown a 160mph airplane in the rain while wearing spectacles!

Ed S
Old 04-26-2005, 03:10 PM
Stikum

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ed Smith

How much wind is too much is a different discussion. Racing in high wind or rain is dangerous. There is always some macho idiot who will fly in anything, usually with the comment "A little bit of win/rain is no harm". This moron has no consideration for others. He has obviously never flown a 160mph airplane in the rain while wearing spectacles!

Ed S
What moron has?
Old 04-26-2005, 03:48 PM
garys

Leave it to Ed to turn a discussion about flying in wind into one about flying in rain.... I've raced in wind so bad airplanes would back up after landing. Can't say it was fun, but we did it.
GS
Old 04-26-2005, 04:12 PM
diggs_74

The wind was bad sure, but I still wouldn't consider it unsafe...Sure, some planes went in but I don't think it's fair to say that every one would be in one piece today if it wasn't windy on Saturday...
Old 04-26-2005, 04:35 PM
Ed Smith

You and me both Gary, probably at the same NATS.

Ed s
Old 04-26-2005, 04:49 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

We've had windy days at the last two nats. The Quickie Finals in 2004 and the Q40 Finals in 2003. The wind at Muncie on those two days was worse than what we flew in this past Saturday.

In my opinion it should be the CD that makes the determination to call a Vote, and at that point majority rules. At the lunch break, the CD was asking around and just about everyone he talked said they wanted to continue racing.

20 Mph winds are not that bad, but once your getting in the 25+ it does cause issues.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:56 PM
DHG
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The worst part was trudging through waist-deep snow to the starting line ... uphill ... both ways.

Thank goodness Ed brought enough rum to keep us all going!

Some Moron