Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Getting into 424

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2002, 09:40 PM
crashlander
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting into 424

I'm getting the interest to attemp AMA 424. I have purchased a TT 40 Pro and built a Dominator. It flies very well. The question I have how does one get accustomed to having 4 airplanes whiz around you. I fly pattern, and am having a difficult time with this situation, to the extent that I do not enjoy flying it. Any ideas.
Orlando
Old 09-29-2002, 11:33 PM
Ed Smith

Default Getting into 424

Keep doing it, you will get used to it. Kind of like control line flying, after a while you do not get dizzy anymore.

I do not know of any greater rush than standing by the #2 and #3 pylon when four Q40s come through at 180mph and engines reving at 24,000 rpm only fifteen feet away.

Ed S
Old 09-30-2002, 12:55 AM
PylonWorld
Banned

Default Getting into 424

The first thing you have to do is get used to flying the course by yourself. If you aren't comfortable with your own flying on the course, you will find it hard to accept that it is actually a pretty safe activity.

If you have a park flyer, fly a virtual course around yourself. You will find that you get closer and closer to yourself as the comfort level increases. If you have a friend with a similar park flyer, set up a small course, or use the landscaping as pylons. I've had great fun flying Lite Sticks around pompous grass that was about 75 feet apart. When you get brave, use yourselves are pylons.

If you have RealFlight G2, download my pylon racing field from RealFlight Racing - Airports and the planes from RealFlight Racing - Planes. You can link up to my multiplayer server that is described on RealFlight Racing - Multiplayer Racing Hosts. Several of the hottest AMA Senior class (18 and under) pilots on the circuit are using the PylonWorld G2 stuff to hone their skills, and are looking for online competition.

Another thing that helps is to spend time on the course helping/calling for another racer, especially if they are flying 428 or 422.

It takes some time, but the thrill is worth it.
Old 09-30-2002, 01:31 AM
Pylon-RCU

Default Focus

I know that this will seem like a...not so good idea, But it worked for me .Every one has there own way, here was mine. Make your self ignore the other planes, and focus with tunnel vision on your plane. Time will take care of the rest. Don't give up just yet :drowning:
Old 09-30-2002, 05:21 PM
splatt

Default park flyers

I picked up a used park flyer and you can practice the pylon course in the street. Ya let the thing go by and count 4 and bank and turn. Of course 4 seconds of travel is about 60 feet. Anyways... getting back to the other plane issue, At first just focus on your plane, after a few mid-airs then try to put the other planes into focus. Don't fall in love with a quickie, it will only break your heart. The object of pylon racing is head to head competition. Pattern flying is take a nap, fly, than go back to sleep. At least that's my 2 cents, racing pattern planes would be cool, they groove so nice with that long tail. good luck
Old 09-30-2002, 08:09 PM
Slotrc

Default Getting into 424

Its a little(lot) intimidating standing in the center while a screaming 428 plane goes screaming around you at a high rate of speed a few feet above your head. I got to experience that for the first time this last weekend while another pilot was at the sticks. Im not going to lie and tell you that an element of fear didnt run through my body but it did. After about the 3rd flight it didnt seem to be as scary and was starting to enjoy the rush. Now the only thing I can think about is getting my new Predator finished and get to the field to start practicing!!!
Old 09-30-2002, 08:47 PM
splatt

Default yup, its scary...at first

if your first exposure was true 428 racing with nelsons and jetts than I can understand the fear part. Yes it's fast, 160MPH +. I understand the addiction to racing and building to satisfy the racing bug. have fun
Old 10-01-2002, 12:46 AM
MikeyD

Default Getting into 424

Huh...........Parkflyers and Quickees, I'm not making the connection. For my two cents, practice with the real thing every chance you get, there is no substitute in the long run.

Mikey D
Old 10-01-2002, 01:11 AM
PylonWorld
Banned

Default Getting into 424

Mikey,

The connection between Park Flyers and racing is that most people have to fly at Chartered Clubs in front of themselves and don't get to fly around themselves. With a Park or Backyard Flyer in your yard or on your street you can practice flying around yourself because you don't have to worry about the field configuration.

It's a real problem at many clubs to get a few minutes to go out to the course, if the club will even let you have the pylons up.

I agree, practice with the real thing as often as possible. But 5-7 mph indoor or calm wind racing is better than no racing.

Even practicing 3D flying helps with the knife edge fllght, especially if you're at the field alone and can fly around yourself. :sunsmiley
Old 10-01-2002, 01:33 AM
splatt

Default it started as a joke

I got this park flyer to play with while the course was being set up and the matrix was being drawn and its kinda fun, different, just something to f with. but ya, if ya gots the space and time then fire up the nelsons and have at it. My neighbors think I'm off when I'm spinning laps in the street with my flyer.
Old 10-01-2002, 09:19 PM
crashlander
My Feedback: (10)

Default Getting into 424

Thanks for the inputs guys. Sounds interesting. May give it a try.
Yes, my first experience was Quickees with Sportjett 40's.
Thanks again.
Old 10-01-2002, 11:19 PM
Pylon-RCU

Default Gee Wiz

Well Gee Wiz Crash, You a....Kinda.... jumped right into the fire with some fast planes . Please try it again with some not so fast planes :idea: .