Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Forgot the carbon fiber!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 08:13 AM
Stripes
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forgot the carbon fiber!

I am building another 424 bird and forgot to put the carbon fiber strip between the sheeting and the foam of the wing. Unfortunately it is all zipped up now. The question is, considering we fly the TT40, do you think this is a serious problem?

I know we used to put together Scat Cat wings without carbon fiber so I'm thinking it isn't so critical. Maybe if we were running a Nelson for power it might be necessary.

I suppose I could glue it to the outside of the sheeting but that seems sort of ghetto.

Opinions?
Old 10-01-2005, 08:58 AM
Randy Etken
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Forgot the carbon fiber!

Epoxy a 3oz fiberglass 14"X10" on out side of bottom wing in the center. This will do more than the carbon Fiber.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:19 PM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

Just make sure you glass the center section like you would on a sport plane. That will be adequate for TT .40 power. I would put a three to four inch wide wrap on the top and bottom of the wing center section.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:34 PM
P. Johnson
My Feedback: (1)

I would put the wider strip on top...NOT the bottom!....I know this is a long disputed argument on whether to put more on top than the bottom. My theory is this....look at a wing that folded..chances are that the top broke before the bottom. if you try to fold a tin can or a paper towel roll.....the top crushes before it will fold.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:32 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

14 x 10 is a huge piece of glass. Most of the load is on the front third of the wing. Taper the glass width so the glass at the trailing edge is half the width of the leading edge. It is also stronger and lighter to use a couple of lighter layers with the 2nd layer about half the width of the first layer, also tapered front to back.