Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-500 Racing
Reload this Page >

Need help please: New Viper 424 Crash...why?

Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Need help please: New Viper 424 Crash...why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 05:30 PM
chrisseager

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help please: New Viper 424 Crash...why?

I really hope you all can help me out here.

I'd call myself an intermediate modeler(successfully built and
flown 5 planes) and I built my first quickie 500, a viper 500 with
a TT Pro 40 to try out 424 racing.

On the first and only flight on the plane, the plane had a severe
right roll to it. It took 7/8s full left stick to counteract the right roll tendency
(well beyond using trim to fix). It was too much to handle and I'm
starting over. Crashes are part of the hobby but I'm frustrated because
I don't know what was wrong with the model. The CG and control
surface movements matched the instructions. It wanted
to roll right regardless of throttle setting, so I can't imagine it was engine
torque. I could control the plane (barely), so I don't believe it was radio
issues. I'm suspecting the wing may have been warped enough to offset
the aileron but I'm not sure.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? I know I haven't given enough
info to completely solve the problem but I'm looking for any ideas or similar experiences
since most all of you in this forum have a lot more quickie experience than
me.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Chris Seager

Old 12-18-2005, 05:48 PM
[email protected]

Default RE: Need help please: New Viper 424 Crash...why?

never had those problems but I always set the model up with two incidence meters on the wing to set ailerons- one incidence mete rper side sitting over the aileron / leading edge and adjust to suit. Always do a balance bothways-although I have never found any of my Vipers that far/ too far out. Haven't solved your problem but it may help...regards trevor h[&:]
Old 12-18-2005, 05:51 PM
RANIERY
My Feedback: (3)

i had the same the same problem when the vipers were new. the wing was warped and i had to heat it to fix it. the viper it's a good plane but you need to go thru them to make them fly good, safe and reliable.

i went thru 3 vipers and then decided to make my own fuse and later bought SEEKER AND RACER II'S. PROBLEM SOLVED

Old 12-18-2005, 06:30 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Same results here. One of my Vipers had a mild wing warp (I knew it was there before the test flight but thought it would be OK) that could just barely be overcome by full aileron defection. Viper ailerons are a bit on the small side and if you have any warps, good luck. If you don't have a lot of experience flying, the warp can easily overcome your ability to fly the plane. Its not comfortable flying and landing while holding almost full aileron. Mine was easily corrected and flies well now.

I have another new in box Viper that has a rather severe wing warp. That wing will be stripped of covering, warp corrected then recovered.

These are just low quality ARFs and you have to check and correct any problems on the plane before flight.

Roger S.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:55 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

I haven't flown a viper, but my predator I bought a few years ago had an identicle problem. Full stick barely held it straight. Thankfully, I landed it ok, and Lanier replaced it.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:21 AM
splatt

rolls right ?

My suggestion is to warp the left wing up. slit the balsa along the bottom 1/2 inch forward from the trailing edge stock on the outer portion of the left wing and bend the trailing edge up and insert 1/16 balsa or skinnyner wood into the crack and glue it up, sand it smooth, apply a little covering.

hold the wing out in front of you and use some "kentucky windage" to get the wing tips the same
Old 12-19-2005, 11:02 AM
Herc Pilot
My Feedback: (15)

Something I haven't seen mentioned...
Make sure your aileron torque rods aren't binding on the rear wing mount/bolt plate. I know of a couple of guys in our club that had to bend the torque rods in slightly or shave the rear wing mounting plate to get enough clearance for the rods to move freely without binding.
Just a thought...
Old 12-19-2005, 11:19 PM
[email protected]

thats why it is important to use two incidence meters on the wing- one per half- you'll see exatly any problems.......whilst I have had NO vipers with the described problems the model tech china cl;ipper had similar hiccups/ problems. My advice before you put any ailerons in place is to check the wing by placing the In/metres at the extremities of the middle half of the wing- check it all out then rectify at that moment Cut a foam wing and heatgun a composite- Dub jett ( i think) wrote a good article in the Model Aviation magazine many years ago relating to the exact problem- written in the pylon racing section. He relates the amount of aileron throw/ trim required to the amount of twist needed to be removed from the wing, and does suggest a diagonal cut...........the magazine wouild be somewher around 1994! regards trevorh[&o]