Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Aileron servo

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2002, 08:39 PM
pwood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aileron servo

Hi guys, I am new to this site and am very impressed.

What servo is most popular for the ailerons.

I am flying high wing type a/c with the aileron servo mounted inverted and using Carl Goldberg 1/8 torque tubes to move the ailerons. The problem is I have had a few servo failures. 2 crashes and 3 landings (lucky). Every time the Futaba 3001 servo has burned out. Some times motor and some times motor and pc board. These servos were all newish and the same age as the rest of the servos in the a/c. The 2 v-tail servos have never failed.

Is the 3001 servo : - no good for racing or
- do the ailerons overload the 3001 or
- inverted servos no good for hi g's or
- something else.....

On my next planes I want to use kevlar top hinges (like on pattern planes) and was thinking of using 2 small servos in the wing.

What is the standard / most popular way of doing it ?

If anyone has nice photos it would realy help.

I don't want to put my new Nelson onto my current set-up as I am not happy with it's reliability.....Rossi's don't seem to bend in crashes (and are cheap in South Africa)

Sorry for the long question.

Thanks
Paul
Old 12-02-2002, 07:05 AM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Servo Burnout

Hi Paul, I am not savy to futaba stuff but that 3001 should have been plenty??? The majority here in the states use hitec 225's, jr 3121 or jr DS3421 servos.

If your aileron is travel limited,,, and the servo is still trying to move the aileron past its stopping point,,, chances are thats whats causing your aileron servo to burnout and fade away

Checkout Daven's post here for fiberglass hinges! He's got a cool technique here that works very well and operates just fine with one servo,,, no need for 2 of them

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...40&forumid=111

Hope that helps,,,

BVV
Old 12-04-2002, 08:03 AM
DrewTelford

Default Aileron servo

Most Futaba racers use either a single 3002 metal gear servo for ailerons, or dual 3102 metal gear servos outboard in the wings (old revolution style). Many use the 3102 on V-tail surfaces as well, but I use 3002 there as I have so many of them and find it convenient to use the same thing all around in my Q500, Q40 and F3D planes. I do use the 3101 on throttle as they are half the price and you don't need the torque there.

my 2 cents,

Drew
Old 12-04-2002, 08:28 AM
pwood

Default Aileron servo

Hi guys

Thanks for the info. I think i will go with two 3102's. I think the linkage is simple esp for top hinges. Torque tubes centre is not the centre or the top hinge and will need some movement. Also the 2 v tail servos will fit better without the wing servo getting in the way.

One final question : are coreless servos ok in racers ? (like 9601 / 9602) Some of the guys here say no.

Thanks

Paul
Old 12-04-2002, 09:59 PM
Mluvara
My Feedback: (10)

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Aileron servo

I believe the very early technology coreless servos were susceptible to vibration that came from race planes and their associated abuse. I use current coreless technology servos in all of my raceplanes (big and small) without problems.

Michael