Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Predator II ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 02:39 PM
Airbike
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Predator II ??

Hi Travis,

By "next" Saturday, do you mean 4/22? If so, I'll try to come out and get my buddy to come out too.

Is the enclosed linkage on the PII allowed in "sport"quickie or "slo" quickee? I hope that doesn't become another point to get yelled at.

My Excite F5D is waiting for ESC and motor repair/refurbishment after my too long demo flight at a 3D fly-in at Menifee Valley last month. I hope that was my first and last smoke trail from my electrics.[&:]
I picked up a used Avionik D99 and just test flew it yesterday with a Neu 1110/1.5Y, 4S1P TP 2100, and apc 4.2x4. It is moving very nicely

Reno,

I ordered 2 Predators last night and the $30 off was the best deal I could find. The plane's cost is actually very cheap considering I ordered a backup Phoenix 80 ESC at $135[:@]
We're getting the GMS .25 since it is BB and Tower didn't even list the Thunder Tiger Pro .25, only the TT GP .25 which is bushed.
We'll probably go with the TT Pro .40 when we're ready to tangle a little more.

But first, we'll need a good racer to show us "the lines". I certainly would appreciate Travis doing a test flight and letting us see the pilot's perspective.

Old 04-14-2006, 03:26 PM
tflynn

Hi Ron,

Sorry you will be out of town, I think the next event with all those classes will be some time the end of June.

Yeah Dan, the races will be going on April 22nd and 23rd. If you can make it out that would be great. I am glad to hear you guys have some interest. I know both of you guys enjoy the electric side, but for pylon you are lucky to live in So Cal we have a lot of glow races and with a few more guys it will only get better. Dan I have seen your Excite, if you can handle that like I know you can you for sure can handle a 424 plane.

Anyway hope to see you next weekend and I will try and help out as much as I can.

Travis
Old 04-14-2006, 03:26 PM
[email protected]

bought a new one at toledo. many changes. nose well reinforced ,better covering ,new wingtips, all internal horns weight 3lb 6oz loaded. 12 flights so far. fast very groovey
Old 04-14-2006, 04:20 PM
Jim Wolfe

How many peices of "Monokote" would it take to = 1/16 inch - - - - - - - - - divided by 2 of course - - -
Jim
Old 04-14-2006, 10:00 PM
TIA

Well, I guess you just never know what you're going to get in an ARF!

If I read the rules correct it states fuse sides must me at least 2.875 inches at it's widest point.

Fuse one measured 2.895"

and fuse two measured 2.901"

That's pretty darned close! [X(]

Looks like I'm good to go!

Happy Easter Everyone!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14844.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	445492   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr52961.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	445493   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45596.jpg
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	445494  
Old 04-14-2006, 11:59 PM
BUDMAN27

IT WOULD BE NICE IF DISTRICT 8 WOULD ALOW THESE PRED 2 IN 428. I KNOW WITH A TT40 PRO. THIS WOULD BE HARD TO BEAT IN 424. HAPPY EASTER TO YOU TOO.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:09 AM
Ed Smith

IT WOULD BE NICE IF DISTRICT 8 WOULD ALOW THESE PRED 2 IN 428.
What rule is used to prohibit the use of these airplanes?

Ed S
Old 04-15-2006, 08:12 AM
DonStegall
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Ed Smith

What rule is used to prohibit the use of these airplanes?

Ed S
Ed,

District 8 is where they are doing the experiment in limiting the airframe to the Viper 500 for 428 local racing. See the first message in Growth of the Sport. I'm not sure if it is all of District 8 or just part of it.

Old 04-15-2006, 07:03 PM
DMyer
My Feedback: (2)

Unless they put a spar or carbon in the wing.... I may not be safe for 428.

Dan
Old 04-15-2006, 08:10 PM
jprge C.
My Feedback: (1)

I can safely say I would NOT RECOMMEND the Predator II for AMA 428. I had mine out today and on the 8th flight after puling a hard turn the plane went into a spiral into the trees. It happened fast but it looked like the wing folded about 1/2 way out. I won't know for sure until we get it down from the tree. Right now it is almost 50' up so it is hard to see anything clearly. On a good note it did fly very well up until that point and my fairly new Nelson was found on the ground with no damage other than a broken needle.

Jorge
Old 04-16-2006, 08:30 AM
BUDMAN27

looks like we 424 racers now have another plane to chose from.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:26 PM
BUDMAN27

JUST GOT CALL FROM HOBIE SHOP. ORANGE PRED 2 ON BACK ORDER. I DON,T CARE I,LL WAITE AS LONG AS IT TAKES.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:02 PM
TIA

Tower has Red, White, & Yellow in stock.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMCN4&P=V

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMCN3&P=V

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMCN5&P=V
Old 04-19-2006, 05:06 AM
BUDMAN27

THEY TELL ME MY ORANGE PRED 2 WILL BE IN NEXT TUESDAY WELL SEE.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:58 PM
TIA

So Jorge,

Did you ever get your plane down out of that tree?
Old 04-28-2006, 03:15 AM
BUDMAN27

There has got to be a way to insert a spar so the 428 racers can use this airplane. still haven,t seen my orange pred 2.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:59 AM
TIA

Budman,

Tower Hobbies have them in stock all day, any color right now. Go back to one of the links I posted and get yourself one before they're gone again!

I'm actually not convinced yet that the PII is not capable of racing 428. I'd still like to see an investigation on that airplane tip that broke. Planes don't usually break at the tips, they break in the middle of the wing where the forces are cantilevered by the fuse formers. That's not to say it isn't possible because it certainly is, but I believe its just not probable. There would have to be an incredibly weak area in that wig tip to break like that, and if that was the case I might suspect some damage to the tip in some less than perfect prior landings or even aileron flutter. There has to be a reason that wing came apart in the air and right now at this point I'm just not buying that it was mfg. construction as I have two of these planes and have looked at the wings very carefully. They seem to be just as strong as any other sparless balsa over foam-constructed wing. If I hear more reports of the PII wings folding then I'd be more apt to believe there is a quality or construction issue but until then, I'm not convinced.

IMHO of course.

Ron.

Old 04-28-2006, 12:31 PM
Airbike

Hi Ron,

I got my PII just about done, just need to locate the throttle servo to help with the balance and it's ready to go.

With a GMS .25, there's no way my wing will ever break unless it hits something. If I go to the TT.40, I think it will be just fine. I'm not so sure about a Nelson engine though.

There are some spots of QA that is lacking, for example, my aileron torque rods were all covered in resin so I had to chip out the threads to put the link on. then the L and R rods were not aligned when the ailerons were set straight with the wings. I made some adjustments and it should be fine for my intentions.

The wing that broke halfway out probably broke starting at the aileron cutout as that will be a stress riser point. I'd like to hear what the post mortem inspection revealed.

Dan
Old 04-28-2006, 06:30 PM
BUDMAN27

Thanks Reno for the info. The sweetie at the local hobby shop called the dealer and they said they already put my ped 2 in the mail. should be in my hands monday. I have high hopes for this bird. Hope it doesn,t let me down.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:11 PM
TIA

Hey Dan!

Were you able to make it to the race last weekend? How was it? Sounds like very strong competition! I had to leave town for 5 days & was thinking about the race the whole time! []

That's strange about the resin. Mine are both perfect. Did your friends plane have the same issue? Of the two I have I am putting a K/B .20 Sportster the one for the Slow Quickie, and a TT.40 on the other for APRA. I just got my package from Jett, got the fueler, a few bladder tanks, and a couple sets of racing wheels. I'm scratching my head on how to put the top tail-brace on. Should I make it removable so I can get down in the tail, or should I permanently glue the whole tail assembly together? And if I make it removable do I use a nylon bolt to keep it together or???

Well, when I get my 424 ship going I'll put it through the wringer as I fly wide open and turn hard!

Maybe that’s how I folded my AT-6 wing last month......

So, are you planning on making Castaic 5/21? I've almost got my AT-6 going and I'm going to start on my second, (backup plane) shortly here.

Bud, what kind of power plant are you strapping onto that PII you're getting?

Ron
Old 04-29-2006, 01:46 AM
Airbike

Ron,

I didn't make it out to the Basin for the races last weekend. I got tied up helping a friend setup his plane and just didn't have enough time to get out there. I know I missed an opportunity to stand by Travis while he flies around the course. I read that he set a new record at the races too!!

Perhaps some other time.

My friend's PII also has resin all over the torque rods. I don't know what you mean by the top tail brace. There is just a filler block to smooth out the fuse and there is a hatch on the bottom to get to the linkages if needed.

I also got a great deal on a used Predator 1, it was basically RTF minus Rx, setup for slo quickie with a GMS.25 so now that there is a backup, no more flinching when planes get close!!

I plan on maidening the PII tomorrow, Sat. at Whittier, hope my friend has his ready too. I'll also bring my electric pylon racer. Come out if you are in town.

I don't think I'll make it for the Castaic race. My frind said he wants to go.

Dan
Old 04-29-2006, 03:46 AM
TIA

Unfortunately this weekend is not happenin for me. My boss is dragging me into work. Nothing like working a 60 hour week.

I'll be at Whittier next Saturday though FWIW.

Yeah the filler block is what I was asking about. Did you epoxy it in or attach it by another means? I was thinking it would be cool to bolt it up somehow so if it broke, it could be dismantled, repaired, &/or replaced.

Ron
Old 04-29-2006, 02:32 PM
BUDMAN27

Reno I am planing on putting an TT pro on it. I don,t have the engine yet either so I just might take the super tigar 40 out of my broken LR-1 that I had a bad landing last weekend. It has a nelson ultha thrust muffler and a 60 size spray bar with a 9x6 apc. that should get her up over 100 mph.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:18 AM
BUDMAN27

OK I now have a orange pred 2. I,m happy with the changes they made with it but I was under the impression that they beefed up the firewall. It looks just like the old preds firewall to me. you see with the old pred I had a few had landings and the firewall and engine fell off. Oh well I,l just reinforce it myself on the inside with fiberglass.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:46 PM
Jim Wolfe

Budman27;
You feel the same way I do about the firewall. I mentioned that back a few post. This is what I did/do to all my quickees. That is, if it will upload??
Jim Wolfe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95895.jpg
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	454755  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.