Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

metal in oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 06:02 PM
P. Johnson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: metal in oil

The "G" might be fine in 424...IF you could buy one, and or parts for one.but its not an approved engine for 424i In 428...run a Jett or a nelson,,,Big bang for the buck.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:18 PM
TIA

ORIGINAL: thestorm

its not an approved engine for 424
It's not?

Okay, you know what my next question is going to be right?

Where's the approved engine list?

Thanks.

Ron

Old 04-17-2006, 07:32 PM
P. Johnson

I think the only approved engine for 424 os the Thunder Tiger Pro 40...O could be wrong. The best bet is check with your local clubs where you will race and find out what engines they approve
Old 04-18-2006, 04:37 PM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: HighPlains

SuperTigre hasn't made a great engine since this G40 ABC. After this, they started making them cheap with cast heads and cast drive washers. Feast your eyes on the high water mark of ST engine development.
Bob,

When was that engine made?
Old 04-18-2006, 07:12 PM
HighPlains

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

John,

These engines go back a ways, they were manufactured sometime around the late 70's to early 80's. Both of these are NIB, looking for a twin. Unlike most ST engines, these were somewhat limited in production, and have a sandcasting case unlike the pressure casting most tigre's use.

I raced with one on a borrowed T-tailed quickie around 83 or 84, and it was plenty strong. The bellcrank pivot bolt fell out on one heat and the airplane ended up with a lot of up tightly circling pylon one. I managed to shut down the engine and held altitude by keeping in the tight turn. As the airplane slowed, I rolled out of the turn, until it was level, slow, and landed it. New bolt, and ready for the next heat.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75860.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	447506  
Old 04-18-2006, 10:40 PM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

Bob,

I remember when the "S" series came out in the early 80s. I was a college kid then. It seemed to me that was about the time everything changed for ST. They started making the S2k, S2500, and S3k. Yes, I remember them going to the cast heads and thrust washers and thinking that the quality had just gone down a bit. Same thing with OS when they started doing that with the FX series.