Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

dominator

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2002, 06:58 PM
ovalthrasher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dominator

I finally got to fly my Dominator today. WOW!!!!!!!

What a killer flying plane!! I gave it about 1/4 throttle and it already was starting to lift off. The wind was about 15mph. As soon as I stabbed the throttle full she took off like a rocket. I would love to clock it with a radar. My other q-500 plane was clocked at 115mph (it's not really for racing it's just my everyday flier) but this thing looked ridiculous compared to it!!
I have a SuperTigre .46 (9X7 prop) that is extensively modified by myself mounted on it but I would like to see it go with a Nelson or Jett engine.

I will be posting some pics up soon of my Great PLanes Big Stik 40 size with a .90 SuperTigre (yes i said .90 ST) .
The thing is a monster to to taxi and take off but once you get it up it's alot of fun. We always get the attention at our local club with our insane combinations. It's not really as bad as one might think. We actually had a .90 in a Hobbico Viper. It took alot of skill to take off with it because of the engine torque but once up it was good.

Ok I guess i'll end this now because anymore and it will be a novel! hehe

Small plane with BIG engine = FUN FUN FUN !!
Old 02-08-2002, 11:24 PM
Scorpionjack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default dominator

OT;
It's not made for taxing! It's made for racing. Stand right behind it have someone let it go for you and it takes off in less than 10 ft. Get yourself a quality Q-500 Motor, Nelson, Jett, Webra or Mvvs Q-500 motor if you want to see what it can really do.

Welcome to the world of Q-500 aircraft.

Have Fun

AMA 6518
Old 02-09-2002, 02:15 AM
ovalthrasher

Default dominator

well it did taxi pretty good but you can tell it's power to weight ratio it really snaps forward with NO effort. hehe next time i'll try getting a buddy to let go of it after i nail the throttle..
Old 02-10-2002, 05:32 AM
MaxQ

Default New Q-500 junkie in town

After not flying R/C for 10 years the bug has returned. Six months ago I made the decision to dust off some old Q-500 wing cores/fuselage assemblies and test my 45 year old vision. I've been having fun with a new ST GS-40 and a OS 40 FX on the ancient airframes, but these engines don't haul like my old ST X-40. I want to start racing 424 in Southern Calif(Sepulveda, 4/7). I would like to get some feedback on what 424 engine will help me to be "semi" competitive and hopefully qualify to the 428 class in the future.
Old 02-10-2002, 06:23 AM
DK64

Default dominator

Don't know about sepulveda, but in whittier the 424 class used thunder tiger pro .40's unmodified and a 9x6 apc prop. that was the only engine used. for the 428 class everyone uses nelsons so, when you are ready to move up you would have to get a new engine.
Old 02-10-2002, 12:08 PM
MaxQ

Default dominator

Bill V,
I thought the 424 class was stock engines and unmodified APC props??? Does the bearing swap add longevity or RPM's? Does anybody know of any Q-500 activity in the San Francisco Bay area?
Old 02-10-2002, 02:52 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default dominator

Max in addition to the 424 APRA races at Whittier Narrows and Sepulveda there is monthly races at speedworld in Pheonix along with the yearly Winterfest event. Las Vegas was active with APRA untill this year and may resume.

The reason for bering changes is durability and not performance. The older TT,s had a cheap rivited rear main cage and would fail with a great deal of regularity at these RPM,s. The berings in the newer engines are better but there has been some failures of these to. I would not bother with it at first. The Bering changes are legal. The only allowable prop in 424 APRA is the APC 9x6 C-2 sport prop no tweeking. Some events provide the props.

Welcome back to the sport

John
Old 02-10-2002, 06:39 PM
Scorpionjack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Alternate Engine

Bill and guys;
Ref the dilemma of a non modified stock engine, off the shelf at a moderate cost.
Using a Webra Q-500 Cost is
$ 150.00 CAD Canada Dollars
= 93.8615 USD United States Dollars
1 CAD = 0.625743 USD 1 USD = 1.59810 CAD

These engines with the stock Dynamix Carb turn 18+>19+ w a 8.75 X 7.75 APC.
This will put the beginners in a speed, that will better provide them with the reponses needed for racing Nelson,Jett and any others that come up later.

Fast time on the Q-500 (428)Short Course is already @ 1:05.62

424 just seems like a steping stone as it was in the days of the Spickler.

Just a thought
AMA 6518