Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-500 Racing
Reload this Page >

424 Summer Workshop and Testing

Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

424 Summer Workshop and Testing

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 01:29 AM
qm40dego
My Feedback: (53)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 424 Summer Workshop and Testing

Hey Scott , Joe Linsangan : Jacksonville FL Gary Corcey and I were thinking of coming down its been about 4/5 years since we did any racing , still have the Sempra motors . Gary and I were thinking of getting back in racing . we like to come down and see whats new. whats the date of the work shop and testing..........Thanks Joe..........904-982-3179.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:22 AM
Scorpion Racing

Hi Joe, and welcome back! The date for the one day test session is Sunday, August 24 in Mulberry, Fl. this will be a testing and training day for all, just prior to the season finally race on September 20-21 in Sunrise, Florida. My idea was a group session to get guys started and ready for the last season race, and into the swing of things for the 2009 SEMPRA season which begins on October 11-12 at our field in Mulberry again.

Come out and play if you get a chance!
Old 08-11-2008, 12:56 PM
PhilMill

Howdy Scott,

I will be moving to Brandon in a few weeks....The GPS says that Mulberry is only 18 miles or so from where I will be living...

I got a few questions....Can I practice my 424 and 428 planes there regularly? Fly around myself etc...?

Are there temporary poles that can be set up for practice?

Can 2 or 3 guys practice race?

Thanks,

Phil
Old 08-11-2008, 01:41 PM
Scorpion Racing

Well, when Rick and I practice most of the time we will just throw up some orange rubber cones and let the guys know we are headed out to play. 99.9% of the time, nobody has an issue with it. We handle it just like anyone wanting to do something a little different, just play nice and take turns and it works out fine. One of the reasons we are going away from the portable pylons to a single pole in a buried tube is so that we can set the poles up in seconds and take them down just as fast.

So for the most part, yes we can play if we want to. Just remember to be courteous and it is fine.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:43 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have pylon sockets (buried tubes) all around our field.. so we can set up a south short or long 3-pole course, and either east or west, long or short courses. We don't have landing / takeoff area to support a north facing short/long course.

We (the racers in the club) have worked with the club to set aside thursday evenings as practice night if we get enough of us out there. Tuesday night is our regular "trainer" night, where we try to support the beginners in the club, and that has worked out well, so the club agreed to let us use Thursday as race practice. That way we can set up the poles and fly around ourselves without endangering anyone else's flying or pits, because they know it's "our" night. We don't set 'em up every thursday night, but we do several times throughout the summer.

Works for us, anyway.

Hope to see some of you at our 424 race in September, see the "RC Barnstormers race" thread here at RCU, or sign up at www.capsracing.com for pre-registration.

Cheers!
Old 08-11-2008, 08:41 PM
PhilMill

OKay Scott,

Sounds cool...Then I guess you'll have a new member soon....

Love your field...

Maybe I can talk you into having a 424 only race there someday.....We can ask everybody at the Workshop and see if they're up for it...

Is there any such thing as a District 424 Championship? I know there are in other districts...Do we have one?

Wouldn't that be cool huh.....?

I'll be hounding ya about that later.....LOL

See ya soon,

Phil
Old 08-17-2008, 07:31 PM
Scorpion Racing

424 championship? My shirt says 1st place SEMPRA 424 2007!

There isn't a championship race per say, but the Markham Park race does decide the final points standings for the district; so I guess next month is our championship race! I think 2009 will be the year to win in 424, especially if we have 15 to 20 guys in class for each race! That will be bragging rights for sure.

Things look great for next weekend, as the storm should pass on Tuesday or Wendsday and be nice for the weekend. Jim Purdue and a big group of racers from down south will be here Saturday afternoon and staying in the hotel, so we will get the field set-up then. Sunday morning should be ready to rock and roll just after sun up! I will post a schedule of planned times for the guys in the 424 workshop soon, that way we can get the group set up and ready to test. Jim Purdue will be sharing his knowledge and skills at the group session as well. (Thanks Jim!) Any questions you have, please bring it up. This is for you guys, and we want all the new guys to leave this event confident they are ready to go.

The club will provide food and drinks for free, but you will need to bring your own fuel to burn for this event. Come out and plan on having a great time! If you have any questions for me that you don't want to post, feel free to call me on my cell at (863) 670-5141 and I will do my best to assist you.

I can't wait for next Sunday, ... it's gonna be a BLAST!
Old 08-17-2008, 07:46 PM
PhilMill

I am definitely looking forward to this workshop. All excited..! Planes are ready and my brain will be in "sponge" mode...

Got one of my buddies from the field to come down and hang out with us. I think he's gonna give 424 a try... I'm gonna give him a free Predator to fix up for racing..So there'll be 4 of us from Osceola Flyers in Kissimmee...

So hey Scott, in order to win the 424 Championship in this district, they take the points from your best 6 races right?

What races did you get your points at.....?? Oops, a dangling participle! I hate when I do that!! LOL

And how many races are there in a complete season of 424 in this district?

Phil
Old 08-17-2008, 08:41 PM
Scorpion Racing

SEMPRA takes all your 424 points from each race and tracks them. If we have over 5 races in the district, your lowest race is dropped. I believe top 4 of 6 is the final score. Tom Dobyns would be the one to answer this for sure! NMPRA takes your best 6 for points for national points, based on the NMPRA weighted scale. This scale is a bell curve system that limits points for lower attended races, but advances points for higher attended races. I will bring it to the workhshop to show and explain it, if you want me to. As for my points in 5 SEMPRA races in 2007; 1st and Fast time, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd and Fast time, and a 1st. So I guess for the 4 for the points; 2-1st places, 2-2nd places and 2-Fast times (just to rub it in!!). This year it looks like I am the Fastest thing out there, with some lack-luster finishes!! I may have to listen to my own tips at the workshop to get back into championship form! I think Jack Fehling is the man for 2008! He is always a top notch competitor at any race.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:51 AM
PhilMill

Okie Dokie, That about covers it.....

So when ya moving up to 428? LOL No sense beatin up on us "poopie heads" anymore is there? LOL

So I guess you heard that the Tangerine race is off huh? Very sad...

I'm gonna throw this out at ya Scott.

Any chance we can salvage one or two of those days and have a 424 race..? Or another fun day of testing and play racing?

Gee dude, You're a CD. And a good one at that...Your organizational skills are excellent....And your pretty fast on the course too...

Your planes are nice! Have I buttered you up enough yet?

I'd hate to just let this race die...Is there ANYTHING we can do?

Think about it Scott. I'll do anything I can to help.......

Thanks a bazillion,

Phil
Old 08-18-2008, 01:08 PM
Scorpion Racing

I know what we can do, I will bring some AMA CD applications to the field and we can recruit us some new people to start hosting races! I do 2 races a year, and work 3 other big events too. The CD test isn't really that hard, and the extra money and exposure for a club could be a big boost to them for hosting some events.

Seriously though, we really do need to help some new clubs host some races to get more exposure in new areas. Once you experience it, you are more willing to travel to an event. But to ask a guy to drive 400 miles just to see a race? A little tough to do.

I hope the Tangerine isn't gone for good, it is our districts longest standing event.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:31 PM
luv to race
My Feedback: (1)

I told the club to cancel the dates. There wasn't any interest off my NMPRA post, and my mass email through Dobyn's...

RB
Old 08-19-2008, 07:43 AM
Scorpion Racing

I am sorry to hear that Randy, I like the rose bowl races! A lot of good memories there,.... watching one of Allen's planes go from 130 to 0mph when the engine fell of going into turn 2, Rick's runaway airplane after a midair, being able to pass below ground level off of turn 3! I like looking back at my Cliff Telford trophies and having fond memories of what a great man he was for our sport. We need to make sure we never forget him, or allow this event to fade away for good.

I know what you mean about the responses, I get less than stellar returns sometimes also. Don't let it get to you, at least we are trying everything we can to promote and hold events. We will get it built back up, I feel it coming.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:10 AM
PhilMill

Yo Scott, I am definitely interested in learning how to CD so I can , eventually , host a race....

I get the feeling that there's much more I can do for the sport than just race..

Otay buttwheat, See ya Sunday....

Vroom Vroom.....!

Phil
Old 08-20-2008, 07:49 PM
ckeene9
My Feedback: (-1)

Is the field down there still above water??? We are swamped up here, don't know if I'm gonna even be able to fly up here on Saturday!

Christopher
Old 08-21-2008, 08:14 AM
PhilMill

Hey Christopher,

I guess you've got your planes all ready to go right?

Heck, if it's wet, we'll just hand launch em and catch em when we land....! LOL

If you can't "test fly" your planes on Saturday, there'll be plenty of time to do it on Sunday....Plus, those guys down there will certainly be able to "dial in" your Pred's for ya.....

The runway ought to be fine since it's 600' of paving.....but Scott will give a "field report" soon I'm sure....

Got 5 424 planes all ready to go.....and 2 Ninja's with short strokes on em....

Time to take in all the knowledge and experience that's gonna be floating around in Mulberry and then it'll be time to RACE.......

See ya Sunday Christopher....

Phil
Old 08-21-2008, 07:27 PM
Scorpion Racing

The field is fine!! The storm line from Fay actually just grazed that area. North Lakeland (15 miles North) never got a drop of rain! I am in Lake Wales (25 miles East) and got rained on for 36 hours straight. The good news is that Fay is now moving West, and should be in the Panhandle by Saturday morning, which will take us out of any storm effects way down in Mulberry (200 mles South or more). We have plenty of pavement, and lots of thirst flat grass that will soak up everything it can get!

I will give you guys another update tomorrow evening, but as of now I see no problems with the field or the weather. The winds are predicted to be 10 mph or LESS on Sunday, and that will most likely go down more as Fay moves out of the picture tomorrow. Rick and I will be out Saturday preparing for Sunday, and I think the South Florida gang will be up in the mid-day to set up the turn lights.

We will plan on a group meeting around 8 - 8:30 and will break up into smaller groups afterwards so that everyone gets the one-on-one attention they need. We want to make sure everyone is ready to go! You never know, we may just have group vs. group grudge races before the day is thru! The field will be open around daybreak, so feel free to get there early. Keep my cell number (off the flier) handy in case you need to call me, I will do whatever I can for you.

I have the documents put together as a PDF file now, so if you can receive them electronically, that would be a great help. That way you can print it out or just use it as a reference as needed. I will offer the documents to NMPRA, RCU and [link=http://www.PylonWorkshop.com]PylonWorkshop[/link] after the Sunday workshop to do with as they see fit.

I hope to see ALL of you this weekend!!

(If you need to reach me before Sunday, PM me here or call; I am off til Monday!)
Old 08-21-2008, 09:11 PM
ckeene9
My Feedback: (-1)

That's good to hear. We're still getting hit here, it's just been sitting over us the past two days and we got some of the bands the day before that!

Getting real excited!

Christopher
Old 08-21-2008, 10:13 PM
j.gibson

daven............
do you have a connection to klasscoat
jmg
Old 08-22-2008, 06:28 AM
daven

Yes, Klasskote is a local company and I have supported them over the years.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:12 AM
j.gibson

ORIGINAL: daven

Yes, Klasskote is a local company and I have supported them over the years.
Back in the old Form 1 days K&B Superpoxy was the paint of choice by just about everyone. l have heard that Klass Kote is the same formula. l loved the finishes l got with K&B and their poly. resin.Do you know the particulars of K.K. and if it is the same as K&B????????

thanks,
jmg
Old 08-22-2008, 08:27 AM
daven

Klasskote is an epoxy coating, not poly. It is not the same formulation as K&B, but it is similar.

Here is Nates comments on it being compatible:

Testing appears to indicate that KLASS KOTE and Hobbypoxy/K&B Superpoxy are freely interchangeable. That is to say, that any of the components of any of the three will work equally as well together as the "correct" brand.

Modelers who have a quantity of colors of Hobbypoxy or K&B but no catalysts or reducer for them, may possibly be able use up what they have by using Klass Kote catalyst and/or reducer.

However, we cannot recommend KLASS KOTE catalyst for use with K&B Ultrapoxy. When tested, Ultrapoxy would not cure properly and was never fuelproof, even when mixed with Superpoxy catalyst.

Also please note, we can not guarantee the results obtained by mixing components of KLASS KOTE with any other brand of epoxy. For best results, we highly recommend that you use Klass Kote epoxy components exclusively.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:28 AM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Dave on the info. I have several cans of the old Hobby Poxy that I need catalyst for. I need to try your Klass Kote also to see how it works. I really miss the Hobby Poxy.

Bob Harris
Old 08-22-2008, 06:43 PM
Scorpion Racing

OK guys, the weather looks like it will be good. Fay should be passing thru Tallahassee on Saturday, and should be near Alabama by Sunday morning. We should be back to a typical central Florida weather pattern on Sunday, so lets roll! We will be setting up the field Saturday afternoon, and will be ready to start around 8 to 8:30 Sunday morning.

I am looking foward to this test!!
Old 08-25-2008, 07:27 AM
PhilMill

So Scott,

Thanks for hosting the workshop and thanks to the club for letting us do what we love to do...

I'd say it was a huge success...

It was to great to see some new faces getting into this sport and also good to see some former racers getting back into it.

It seems that everyone gave whatever they could to help everybody with their planes..Trimming, getting the throws dialed in, motors running good...Lots of good info floating around...and such willingness to help...

If we continue with this mindset, pylon racing will begin to grow again....better attended races, more races and on and on..

Okay man, so have you thought about the race in December....We could do an official/unofficial race..Complete with a real matrix and say 7 rounds of 424 that will include ANYBODY that has a 424 plane....Experts and beginners...I'll even buy the "wood" for the top 5 places and fast time....

And I could CD the race with you and Rick looking over my shoulder....Kinda get my feet wet , so to speak...

lemme know what I can do to help for the December race....

Phil

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.